Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

4 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Should've actually recruited Max Duggan....

Eh, he'd probably be gone too. He hasn't been terribly impressive, although only a true sophomore so he'll keep getting better. But I don't think there's any better chance of Martinez/Duggan/Smothers all sticking around than there was with McCaffrey. At least with McCaffrey there was a possibility he could contribute elsewhere and all 3 would stay. 

Looking at the stats was fun though, I have never seen a stat line like Duggan's against Kansas. 3/11 for 96 yards, all 3 completions were TDs. 3 carries for 61 yards, including a 58 yard TD. Talk about hit or miss, that's home run or whiff.

Hate seeing these 3 guys transfer today, but I really don't think this will effect our team that much next year.  I believe Luke could have been a playmaker at WR, but he obviously doesn't want to give up on QB. Transferring was clearly the best option for him. Also, Warner wasn't getting PT next year and Farniok was going to continue being a backup. 

20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And that is not a mere arbitrary analytic. 

One tendency people have is to just assume Smothers is coming along well and is poised to really be a reliable QB2 based on one or two random quotes by coaches.

Friendly reminder: We saw the same dynamic with the assumptions about McCaffrey until he finally got significant time at QB...and then we learned he didn't really have what it took to be a starting Big 10 quarterback any time soon.

Here's to hoping that Logan Smothers actually is a viable option as a QB2 and also a viable option as the starter in a couple years.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Undone said:

One tendency people have is to just assume Smothers is coming along well and is poised to really be a reliable QB2 based on one or two random quotes by coaches.

Friendly reminder: We saw the same dynamic with the assumptions about McCaffrey until he finally got significant time at QB...and then we learned he didn't really have what it took to be a starting Big 10 quarterback any time soon.

Here's to hoping that Logan Smothers actually is a viable option as a QB2 and also a viable option as the starter in a couple years.

This is definitely true.  However, the significant different is McCaffrey was a great athlete but had played very little quarterback before getting here and it was know that he would take some developing.  Smothers is a true quarterback recruit and it doesn't take much of a leap to assume that he's farther along developmentally at that position.

19 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yet, you know by game 2, next year there will be people all riled up demanding that he start. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This is definitely true.  However, the significant different is McCaffrey was a great athlete but had played very little quarterback before getting here and it was know that he would take some developing.  Smothers is a true quarterback recruit and it doesn't take much of a leap to assume that he's farther along developmentally at that position.

Agreed there - good points.

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I agree with you.  Maybe he ends up at a place that basically just runs the ball?  Army, Airforce, Navy... They all pass the ball less than 25% of all plays.  I could envision Luke running the triple option.  Even Wyoming wouldn't be a bad spot to land with a 65/35 run to pass average.

Well, I know he's not going to any of those three unless they've drastically changed their admissions policies.  Hahaha.  A buddy of mine from high school went to West Point (Army) and got a recommendation letter from one of our senators just to get in.

As for Luke, the only way he succeeds is going somewhere where they run the ball or he goes down a level or two.  He just doesn't have the arm to play QB.  He's a terrific athlete and its a shame he didn't give another skill position a try, but that's his decision.  Who knows, maybe he doesn't have a desire to play in the NFL.  

1 minute ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Well, I know he's not going to any of those three unless they've drastically changed their admissions policies.  Hahaha.  A buddy of mine from high school went to West Point (Army) and got a recommendation letter from one of our senators just to get in.

As for Luke, the only way he succeeds is going somewhere where they run the ball or he goes down a level or two.  He just doesn't have the arm to play QB.  He's a terrific athlete and its a shame he didn't give another skill position a try, but that's his decision.  Who knows, maybe he doesn't have a desire to play in the NFL.  

They don’t need that as a football player. 

With the loss of Spielman last year and Robinson and now McCaffrey this year, we are losing some very talented and athletic players on offense.  This departure will only add fuel to the fire of many questioning the trajectory of this program. 

The 2021 season seems like a make or break moment for Frost, and who would have thought he would have to rely on his defense (with all the returning starters) to be the unit to potentially save his job. I honestly am not sure how he makes it through another non-winning season but stranger things have happened.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

They don’t need that as a football player. 

After a little research, it appears you're right.  However, it's still fairly tough.

"At Air Force, prospective players need to have at least a 3.5 high school GPA, a 25 on the ACT in all subjects, and a minimum of a 1200 two-part SAT score."  

I don't know if Luke has this in him.  He still hasn't figured out he's actually left handed. ;)

• Haha 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey