Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

50 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I think there is way too much rush to assume that McCaffrey cannot succeed as a QB at the collegiate level. He started 2 games and was 1-1 as a starter.  AM has started many more games and struggled this past season as well and was 2-4 as the starting QB  so he also failed.  Do we now just wipe the slate clean and go with Smothers?  

Generally I'd say to give someone more time, but McCaffrey's arm looked so bad it's hard to imagine him ever being a good enough downfield passer to keep a defense honest at the P5 level. Maybe with a few more years of development, but that's a long time to wait for an "if." If Smothers is showing that he's a more capable option, then I'm not losing sleep over this.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zeWilbur said:

So a QB is only successful if they win games? Isn't there an entire sideline of other people that directly contribute to that as well? 

No.  Absolutely not.  You can only talk in the vaguest of generalities when trying to make something fit the narrative you want to spin.

Everyone knows that Trent Dilfer is a much better quarterback than Dan Marino.  Just look at how many Super Bowls they've won.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

Frost took over his 1st recruiting class with 2 weeks to piece meal it together.  His year 4 isn't his real year 4.

So did pretty much every other coach hired in 18', of which there were plenty.  It's kind of amazing to look through the list at the best hires of that year and see how many are already out the door or struggling though.  No one would have expected Chip Kelly to be a non-factor in year 3.    Mullen/Fisher are trending in the right direction.  Taggart, gone from FSU.  Joe Moorehead, gone from MSU.  Chad Morris, gone from Arkansas.  Kevin Sumlin, gone from Arizona.  Jeremy Pruitt, gone from TN.  Matt Luke, gone from Ole Miss.  

• Plus1 3
56 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No.  Absolutely not.  You can only talk in the vaguest of generalities when trying to make something fit the narrative you want to spin.

Everyone knows that Trent Dilfer is a much better quarterback than Dan Marino.  Just look at how many Super Bowls they've won.

Somebody call Columbo, there's just been a HB murder, lol

• Haha 2
21 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I agree with you.  Maybe he ends up at a place that basically just runs the ball?  Army, Airforce, Navy... They all pass the ball less than 25% of all plays.  I could envision Luke running the triple option.  Even Wyoming wouldn't be a bad spot to land with a 65/35 run to pass average.

As excited as I would be with Luke going to Army and lead my alma mater, I highly doubt he gives any of the academies a look. If he feels he has a shot at the NFL, which IMO he does at WR or S, then you don’t go to an academy and do the mandatory 5 year active service term. I know some players have been allowed to leave active duty sooner, largely to the recruiting pub it brings the military, but it isn’t a slam dunk.

It is also a very difficult environment to handle, you have to be fully committed to be successful.

3 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

As excited as I would be with Luke going to Army and lead my alma mater, I highly doubt he gives any of the academies a look. If he feels he has a shot at the NFL, which IMO he does at WR or S, then you don’t go to an academy and do the mandatory 5 year active service term. I know some players have been allowed to leave active duty sooner, largely to the recruiting pub it brings the military, but it isn’t a slam dunk.

It is also a very difficult environment to handle, you have to be fully committed to be successful.

Agreed... but if he was willing to be a receiver we would have never landed him in the first place imo.  To stay at QB, he is going to have to make a significant sacrifice of some kind imo.  

19 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

After a little research, it appears you're right.  However, it's still fairly tough.

"At Air Force, prospective players need to have at least a 3.5 high school GPA, a 25 on the ACT in all subjects, and a minimum of a 1200 two-part SAT score."  

I don't know if Luke has this in him.  He still hasn't figured out he's actually left handed. ;)

They do still need a nomination, this is straight off of the West Point site: 

https://www.westpoint.edu/admissions/contact-admissions-team/recruited-athletes

Lastly, remember that the West Point application and Congressional nomination are two separate processes that have independent timelines.  Make sure you start your West Point application first and then contact your local Congressional offices for more information.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

At what point is any of this on frost in your opinion?

First it was riley

Then the players

Somewhere in there the culture 

Then chinander 

Then the asasitants that were let go

Then kevin warren

Then covid

Now the fans and the fishbowl.

When is Scott accountable for any of the problems in program?

He also had time to get his chosen qb in that first class

That's a little over dramatic.  Most fans have blamed Scott for various things over the years he's been here to a certain extent.

But....being upset because his very first class was a dud when he had 2-4 weeks to put it together is nothing more than an eye roller.  It's a fact of life.  Most of the time when a new coach comes in, his first class isn't a great class.  That's why constantly changing coaches is detrimental to the program.  Anyone who pays attention is going to be blaming him if the current classes he's recruiting don't work out. 

• Plus1 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey