Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

50 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I disagree that Frost has improved the team each year and I think that is why many fans are frustrated with him.  We have seen some steady improvements on defense yet gone backwards on offense and special teams. He inherited a team that was 19-19 in the prior 3 seasons and was under .500 the year before Frost took over.  We have continued to have sub-500 seasons under Frost.  The record is not actually the thing that concerns me the most. It's the culture and continuous mental mistakes we have seen in nearly every game including too many penalties, botched snaps, turnovers and poor game management.  If that has not shown improvement in the first 3 years I am not sure how that magically improved drastically in year 4.  

If Frost had no ties to Nebraska (like Mike Riley) I guarantee there Frost would be on the extreme hot seat.  He is getting the benefit of the doubt with his ties to Nebraska.

Please don't cite win-loss record as the only measure of a team and expect me to take you seriously. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Then you recall incorrectly because his throwing motion was pretty good at first.  It wasn't until after he got injured that things went sideways.

There are a bunch of things that show he has improved the team.  The fact that you choose to ignore them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Sorry, but there was widespread discussion with Taylor Martinez as a freshman about his poor throwing motion. It was not after his injury.  

As for items where the team has improved vs regressed, in looking at it from the macro perspective, it is not a net plus. The fact that you choose to give Frost a pass is your decision but it does not negate the reality that this program is sideways at best after 3 years of Frost's leadership.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Please don't cite win-loss record as the only measure of a team and expect me to take you seriously. 

It's not the only measure of a team and I have provided other stats throughout the year beyond just W-L?   Here is a link to average penalties per game which addresses some of the culture and mental toughness pieces. Nebraska is ranked 93rd.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/penalties-per-game

And I also have shared trends in offensive and defensive output and scoring differential. The defense has made decent improvements from the 2017 Riley-led team while the offense has gotten worse.  I don't think this is breaking news of any kind.   

Year Points Scored Points Allowed Differential Wins Losses Win Percentage
2010 30.9 17.4 13.5 10 4 0.714
2011 29.2 23.4 5.8 9 4 0.692
2012 34.8 27.6 7.2 10 4 0.714
2013 31.9 24.8 7.1 9 4 0.692
2014 37.8 26.4 11.4 9 3 0.750
2015 32.8 27.8 5 5 7 0.417
2016 26.5 23.9 2.6 9 4 0.692
2017 25.8 36.4 -10.6 4 8 0.333
2018 30 31.2 -1.2 4 8 0.333
2019 28 27.8 0.2 5 7 0.417
2020 23.1 29.4 -6.3 3 5 0.375
  • Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

All programs that change coaches are 'dumpster fires"

Disagree. Yes, common sense is the reason for the change is bc of dumpster fire. Some are for reasons of previous coach health, guys moving on on own, etc...the way Neb had fallen from grace over the past couple of decades, combined with rotating coaches, along with the very well publicized apathetic demeanor.......all taking place at a true blue blood school, only accentuates the problem. It was a full on overhaul.  I am not about to let SF off the hook, but I am also not going to call his time here over.

59 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

I also need to preface this by saying my thoughts on this have very little to do with the last 3 leaving, but Robinson is a big deal.

When you add up all the other things that have happened it seems like something isnt right.

The more I look at it, the more I think Robinson leaving will end up being a blessing in disguise. Good player, nice kid. Limited our offense in requiring a touch quota to keep his dad and trainer happy. Now with a receiving core averaging 6’2, our downfield threats should be much more impressive to opposing defenses. 

Just now, Wistrom Disciple said:

The more I look at it, the more I think Robinson leaving will end up being a blessing in disguise. Good player, nice kid. Limited our offense in requiring a touch quota to keep his dad and trainer happy. Now with a receiving core averaging 6’2, our downfield threats should be much more impressive to opposing defenses. 

SF has referenced the fact that one bright side of Wandale gone would allow them to run more of their offense....open it up. Makes one think the hole touches to keep Dad and Trainer happy has merit.  Then again, it isnt hs.

• Fire 1
14 minutes ago, HANC said:

SF has referenced the fact that one bright side of Wandale gone would allow them to run more of their offense....open it up. Makes one think the hole touches to keep Dad and Trainer happy has merit.  Then again, it isnt hs.

@HANC  Not aimed at you.

I have yet to see Frost be that omniscient in his coaching that he "gave Wan'dale all these touches" to keep him until bigger receivers arrived so he could open up his true offense".  All to keep his dad and trainer happy.....and now we have this epic offense ready to be unleashed.  hell yea.....And we still can't make halftime adjustments...Or find away to stop the TO's, penalties or bine headed mistakes, but Frost was orchestrating this for 2 years....SMH. We are desperate for any glimmer of hope.  Hope we get to .500 next year.....

1 minute ago, lo country said:

@HANC  Not aimed at you.

I have yet to see Frost be that omniscient in his coaching that he "gave Wan'dale all these touches" to keep him until bigger receivers arrived so he could open up his true offense".  All to keep his dad and trainer happy.....and now we have this epic offense ready to be unleashed.  hell yea.....And we still can't make halftime adjustments...Or find away to stop the TO's, penalties or bine headed mistakes, but Frost was orchestrating this for 2 years....SMH. We are desperate for any glimmer of hope.  Hope we get to .500 next year.....

Appreciate the clarification...... I think SF is good a spinning things and not good at taking responsibility.  

42 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

The offense actually should be noticeably better next season, IF the kid from Montana is legit, Omar Manning is ready to go, the USC RB gets a wavier, key injuries are avoided and more experience gained all around.  There are a lot of big "IFs" there, but with what should be a good defense, I'm somewhat optimistic about the team for 2021.  My only reservation is special teams.  

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

The offense actually should be noticeably better next season, IF the kid from Montana is legit, Omar Manning is ready to go, the USC RB gets a wavier, key injuries are avoided and more experience gained all around.  There are a lot of big "IFs" there, but with what should be a good defense, I'm somewhat optimistic about the team for 2021.  My only reservation is special teams.  

Scott?  That you?

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 3

Whilst we are all busy debating W Robinson and Mr McCaffrey, the bigger departures to me are the offensive line.

We have some tremendous young talent there, and it's really more key to our success that either Wandale or Luke.  With apologies to both.

Austin challenged Jaimes to be an all conference lineman.  He wasn't.

We've had Farnioks around for a while.  None now.

Wilson left.

I like what's happening with the offensive line.  The departures tell me Frost isn't messing around with this unit 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey