Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

7 hours ago, TheSker said:

Whilst we are all busy debating W Robinson and Mr McCaffrey, the bigger departures to me are the offensive line.

We have some tremendous young talent there, and it's really more key to our success that either Wandale or Luke.  With apologies to both.

Austin challenged Jaimes to be an all conference lineman.  He wasn't.

We've had Farnioks around for a while.  None now.

Wilson left.

I like what's happening with the offensive line.  The departures tell me Frost isn't messing around with this unit 

I can’t tell if you are concerned about the linemen “leaving” or not. Jaimes will most likely get drafted, so he was ready to move on. That’s not a big deal. Matt Farniok may get drafted and could end up on a NFL roster as a free agent (can play all 3 interior line positions). Will Farniok was never going to play, and is better suited for a MAC, Mountain West, or lower level school. Will is not a Power 5/Big Ten center.  Wilson was a starting guard for 2 seasons until losing his job to a RS freshman. All of those guys leaving are not “big deals” to me. Frost and his staff keep recruiting guys and getting transfers so I don’t think depth will be an issue.  

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Maybe. I can see how this happens, see it in the nfl all the time with star recievers, ie browns this year.

But part if me thinks no way, there was a reason he had to play RB. There were also many times we just flat failed to get him the ball when he was wide open.

I think our offense will be the exact same, inconsistent,  a bit sloppy, and turnover prone.

Martinez has started 3 years and not really improved, no reason to think he will make a giant leap

Martinez has improved.  The pieces around him regressed significantly from the first year making the overall offense look bad but you can't deny the 70+% completion percentage last year.  Where those throws went, who they were to, etc can't all fall on his shoulders.  None of us understands how he is being coached or what he is being told to do so I thinks it's crazy to think he can't take a leap if those around him significantly improve this year.

Question, how do you think he would look behind Ohio States line throwing to Ohio State receivers?  My guess is pretty dang good.      

• Plus1 6
1 hour ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Maybe. I can see how this happens, see it in the nfl all the time with star recievers, ie browns this year.

But part if me thinks no way, there was a reason he had to play RB. There were also many times we just flat failed to get him the ball when he was wide open.

I think our offense will be the exact same, inconsistent,  a bit sloppy, and turnover prone.

Martinez has started 3 years and not really improved, no reason to think he will make a giant leap

@Hilltop's response above was right in line with what I was thinking about Martinez. He was throwing to Stanley Morgan, JD and had Ozigbo in the backfield along with a veteran o-line his first year. 2019 he had the mighty mites for receivers after an expected starter at receiver and his backup (also among the biggest receivers in the program at that time) were kicked off the team before the season. This past year he consistently had walk-ons at the receiver spots who more or less became space fillers and blockers. Yes, he's made some bad plays and missed on some passes but given the revolving door at receiver he's had, I don't blame Adrian too much. 

In regards to Wandale... if you are to be great at 5'8, you must be lightning fast or deceptively elusive in order to excel. WR had flashes of being elusive but never seemed to show elite-level speed or quickness to out run a defense. Add in the cloud of needing touch quotas to keep his trainer & Dad happy and we get WR in the runningback more often than anyone would like. I recall a few times he appeared open downfield and Luke & Adrian couldn't get him the ball but I also remember several other times a play would be designed specifically for WR on a screen or slant and he would rarely help us move the chains. He is a good player but did little to prove that he would become an all-conference player for us based on his talent alone. I feel the only way he would have reached that level is if we had a bunch of other threats around him and the defense essentially slacked off WR which would allow him to be elusive despite his B+/A- speed. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I can’t tell if you are concerned about the linemen “leaving” or not. Jaimes will most likely get drafted, so he was ready to move on. That’s not a big deal. Matt Farniok may get drafted and could end up on a NFL roster as a free agent (can play all 3 interior line positions). Will Farniok was never going to play, and is better suited for a MAC, Mountain West, or lower level school. Will is not a Power 5/Big Ten center.  Wilson was a starting guard for 2 seasons until losing his job to a RS freshman. All of those guys leaving are not “big deals” to me. Frost and his staff keep recruiting guys and getting transfers so I don’t think depth will be an issue.  

I am not concerned about the linemen leaving. 

The offensive line needed upgraded badly, and it's the position group that takes the longest.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

@Hilltop's response above was right in line with what I was thinking about Martinez. He was throwing to Stanley Morgan, JD and had Ozigbo in the backfield along with a veteran o-line his first year. 2019 he had the mighty mites for receivers after an expected starter at receiver and his backup (also among the biggest receivers in the program at that time) were kicked off the team before the season. This past year he consistently had walk-ons at the receiver spots who more or less became space fillers and blockers. Yes, he's made some bad plays and missed on some passes but given the revolving door at receiver he's had, I don't blame Adrian too much. 

In regards to Wandale... if you are to be great at 5'8, you must be lightning fast or deceptively elusive in order to excel. WR had flashes of being elusive but never seemed to show elite-level speed or quickness to out run a defense. Add in the cloud of needing touch quotas to keep his trainer & Dad happy and we get WR in the runningback more often than anyone would like. I recall a few times he appeared open downfield and Luke & Adrian couldn't get him the ball but I also remember several other times a play would be designed specifically for WR on a screen or slant and he would rarely help us move the chains. He is a good player but did little to prove that he would become an all-conference player for us based on his talent alone. I feel the only way he would have reached that level is if we had a bunch of other threats around him and the defense essentially slacked off WR which would allow him to be elusive despite his B+/A- speed. 

The true measure of Wandale's ability in FBS football will take place when he begins playing for UK.  Our poor use of his abilities, poor blocking and lack of a deep receiving threat hampered his development and productivity.  Of those three, my real frustration was with our staff using him for inside zone runs.  Subjecting a speedy, 170 lb receiver to repeated tackles by 300+ lb. defensive lineman lacks wisdom.

For comparison, how often do the Kansas City Chiefs and Andy Reid subject Tyreek Hill to inside zone rushes?  All of his rushing attempts are on the perimeter (end arounds / pop passes, etc.).  It is not a question of toughness, it is a question of basic physics.  When a bicycle confronts a car, I presume we know which will win.  Tough to be speedy when your frame is repeatedly hammered by mack trucks on the interior line.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

The true measure of Wandale's ability in FBS football will take place when he begins playing for UK.  Our poor use of his abilities, poor blocking and lack of a deep receiving threat hampered his development and productivity.  Of those three, my real frustration was with our staff using him for inside zone runs.  Subjecting a speedy, 170 lb receiver to repeated tackles by 300+ lb. defensive lineman lacks wisdom.

For comparison, how often do the Kansas City Chiefs and Andy Reid subject Tyreek Hill to inside zone rushes?  All of his rushing attempts are on the perimeter (end arounds / pop passes, etc.).  It is not a question of toughness, it is a question of basic physics.  When a bicycle confronts a car, I presume we know which will win.  Tough to be speedy when your frame is repeatedly hammered by mack trucks on the interior line.

Tyreek Hill has elite level speed to outrun a secondary and get open quite often as a receiver. Wandale does not. Therefore, the coaches tried to get him the ball however they could within the offense. This unfortunately did lead to poor decisions to think he had the running abilities of a Darren Sproles or Danny Woodhead. I agree that it was a bad idea to think the small guy could handle running the ball so often.

They did try Wandale on the perimeter but he often failed to get separation or get first downs. If you're not the fastest guy on the field at that size, you better be able to be shifty and elusive consistently. Again, Wandale is a good player but he did not prove that he could be that kind of special player unless there were other studs in the offense to take attention and heat off of him. 

4 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Tyreek Hill has elite level speed to outrun a secondary and get open quite often as a receiver. Wandale does not. Therefore, the coaches tried to get him the ball however they could within the offense. This unfortunately did lead to poor decisions to think he had the running abilities of a Darren Sproles or Danny Woodhead. I agree that it was a bad idea to think the small guy could handle running the ball so often.

They did try Wandale on the perimeter but he often failed to get separation or get first downs. If you're not the fastest guy on the field at that size, you better be able to be shifty and elusive consistently. Again, Wandale is a good player but he did not prove that he could be that kind of special player unless there were other studs in the offense to take attention and heat off of him. 

I think we agree in part.  I would say that the cumulative effects of repeated inside zone plays likely resulted in nagging injuries that ultimately limited his top line speed.  While not injuries that limited participation, the kind that inhibit cutting and speed to a degree.

Speculative I know, but you and I agree that his use was not what was envisioned when he arrived on campus.

I look forward to seeing him play SEC football so that perhaps he can truly answer some of these lingering questions.

When it comes to Wandale, go back and watch some games and just fast forward to offensive plays. After a while you start to shake your head at how many times he would immediately go down for a tackle when the defender only had one arm out to make the tackle on him. 

In The Big Ten if you can't get extra yards after being touched by a defender you aren't going to have much of any success. It's a very physically conference. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

23 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

I think we agree in part.  I would say that the cumulative effects of repeated inside zone plays likely resulted in nagging injuries that ultimately limited his top line speed.  While not injuries that limited participation, the kind that inhibit cutting and speed to a degree.

Speculative I know, but you and I agree that his use was not what was envisioned when he arrived on campus.

I look forward to seeing him play SEC football so that perhaps he can truly answer some of these lingering questions.

Agreed, hopefully he gets the space he needs to operate. Hoping for the best but I'm looking forward to seeing our offense evolve now with a larger receiving core. 

Good points @uberism, I thought that was the case too but hadn't looked deeper into it. Hopefull the bigger receivers will help alleviate some of that problem.

I, for one, still think he would be a solid QB here by the time he's a Junior.  Would know all the plays, gain some good weight and muscle mass, strengthen up the arm, be more matured and experienced while grooming as the backup.  So I'm a little bummed he isn't sticking around.  While it was short lived (2+ games or so as a FR/RFR), he brought the energy, excitement, and gave his best.  I wish Luke all the best. Once a Husker, Always a Husker!

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, uberism said:

When it comes to Wandale, go back and watch some games and just fast forward to offensive plays. After a while you start to shake your head at how many times he would immediately go down for a tackle when the defender only had one arm out to make the tackle on him. 

In The Big Ten if you can't get extra yards after being touched by a defender you aren't going to have much of any success. It's a very physically conference. 

This was my knock on Mills as well.  Arm tackles or "tripping".  I'd like our skill huys to be able to run through or over tacklers.  Gotta get the YAK.......If Frost wants to show the team anything, show them clips of him running through LB's......That's Husker Power.

• suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey