Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

My question is - would Nebraska take him back? The kid has a ton of talent. He just needs to get straightened up between the ears. My initial thought is NO, but... he's going to help some team. Maybe that should be us? 

I think that ship has sailed and Frost has moved on.  Luke is never going to be a QB, regardless how desperate he is to be one.

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think that ship has sailed and Frost has moved on.  Luke is never going to be a QB, regardless how desperate he is to be one.

I think so too, and it's too bad because we could use him and he'd do well here. Just don't know how you repair that broken trust. Probably best for everyone to move on.

3 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Never going to get mad at a teenager for pursuing what options are best for them, but I do think McCaffrey is going to have a very hard time being an P5-level quarterback with his arm strength. It sucks because he would be an excellent wide receiver, but that's his decision

Exactly. The Transfer Portal is a blessing and a curse to these guys. I think it's fair to allow players the chance to move on if they made a poor initial decision - something we all did at 18. But the grass isn't always greener, as young Luke is finding out. 

Louisville or like a K-State where they run their QB a ton and embrace a lot of single-wing or read option stuff would probably be the best place for him to play QB. If he couldn't make it there I don't know where in P5 he thinks he can play. Ohio would be a good fit in the MAC.

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

But that brings up an interesting point - if he never enrolled, does his time at Louisville even count? Did he ever actually "leave" the transfer portal? Does it count as a transfer?

I believe it would be like signing a letter of intent.   If you sign with a team out of high school, your held to it, break it and you sit out a year…. This should be held the same way. 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

But that brings up an interesting point - if he never enrolled, does his time at Louisville even count? Did he ever actually "leave" the transfer portal? Does it count as a transfer?

Great questions. I think you're right in that without enrolling, he is not a student at the university and therefore can move as desired. 

• Fire 1

Satterfield must be pretty annoyed, usually they don't come out and say "he wanted to be the starter and we weren't guaranteeing that." Most of the time it's all vague coach speak. Curious if it opens his eyes to playing another position, but I doubt it. He better be ready for a G5 school at best if he wants a guarantee to start, or maybe he's back in the portal as an athlete which would get him more looks. Again, I doubt that though.

It's definitely a bad look for him, and I don't have a lot of pity because it seems pretty obvious his best position is not QB. But also curious if Louisville implied he would have the inside track in the QB competition or something, seems weird that he would immediately change his mind on campus. They have a returning 2-year starter, I just don't know how you transfer there thinking you have the job. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

Satterfield must be pretty annoyed, usually they don't come out and say "he wanted to be the starter and we weren't guaranteeing that." Most of the time it's all vague coach speak. Curious if it opens his eyes to playing another position, but I doubt it. He better be ready for a G5 school at best if he wants a guarantee to start, or maybe he's back in the portal as an athlete which would get him more looks. Again, I doubt that though.

It's definitely a bad look for him, and I don't have a lot of pity because it seems pretty obvious his best position is not QB. But also curious if Louisville implied he would have the inside track in the QB competition or something, seems weird that he would immediately change his mind on campus. They have a returning 2-year starter, I just don't know how you transfer there thinking you have the job. 

Certainly looks bad to transfer before really giving the school a shot with practices but the bolded above is what I was thinking too. Or might just be the Colorado starter left their program yesterday and Luke thinks he might be able to win that job and be closer to home. 

21 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't see that happening.  If he's going to do that, why leave?  Why wouldn't he try those positions at Louisville?

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Certainly looks bad to transfer before really giving the school a shot with practices but the bolded above is what I was thinking too. Or might just be the Colorado starter left their program yesterday and Luke thinks he might be able to win that job and be closer to home. 

They think Noyer transferred out because he lost the job, but that could be just believing what they want to justify the loss. But yeah, the only ways the timeline makes sense to me is if LMC believes he has a leg up on the QB job (whether that was implied by the coaches or not), realizes he doesn't and bails. Or a better opportunity opens up like the Colorado one, but I don't think they'd be interested in a gamble on a flight risk QB. Who knows!

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I don't see that happening.  If he's going to do that, why leave?  Why wouldn't he try those positions at Louisville?

Because if he can convince teams he's committed (that's a big 'if'now), he could be a WR at a really good school. His QB options were running thin, but as an athlete with 4 years of eligibility left? There aren't a lot of schools that wouldn't at least consider it. If he's going to be a WR, might as well do that somewhere better than Louisville.

• Fire 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey