Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Because if he can convince teams he's committed (that's a big 'if'now), he could be a WR at a really good school. His QB options were running thin, but as an athlete with 4 years of eligibility left? There aren't a lot of schools that wouldn't at least consider it. If he's going to be a WR, might as well do that somewhere better than Louisville.

The really good teams like Clemson, OSU, Alabama, OU...etc are recruiting WRs very well and don't need to waste their time with a head case like him.

• Plus1 2

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't see that happening.  If he's going to do that, why leave?  Why wouldn't he try those positions at Louisville?

Why stay at Louisville to play WR/RB? Especially when dozens of schools elsewhere would gladly take him as a WR/RB.  I've only been to Louisville, KY once but I was not upset about leaving.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm not sure.  There was talk of him going to Louisville as a walk-on this year, so maybe that impacts his transfer status.  The whole transfer portal is clear as Missouri River mud.

One thing is apparent, Frost and the staff aren't 100% to blame for the transfers the past year.  Between McCaffrey, Wandale's dad & trainer, and other guys who left NU, there is a lot of craziness going on.

Bingo. Frost can certainly take the blame for some stuff, but the transfer portal isn't exclusively a Nebraska thing. That first class in '18 was a shotgun wedding because of the new signing date, and happened to all the new coaches. And even this year, we're not an outlier. Hell, Oklahoma has been winning a lot, and they have 1 less transfer than us.

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

One thing is apparent, Frost and the staff aren't 100% to blame for the transfers the past year.  Between McCaffrey, Wandale's dad & trainer, and other guys who left NU, there is a lot of craziness going on.

In McCaffrey's case, I think it's fair to question whether the coaches evaluated him well. I don't like second guessing that, though. He was a guy that 247 had rated 4* with a pretty decent offer list - if Frost mis-evaluated him, he's not the only one.

The thing is, judging from his actions, I think it's safe to say that Luke is a guy who thinks he's better than he really is. Considering that, I suspect that his real problem might not be talent, but rather coachability. Maybe it's not that Verduzco couldn't coach him up, maybe it's more that Luke is so hard-headed that no one could get through to him.

2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

He never even enrolled at Louisville.  

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

But that brings up an interesting point - if he never enrolled, does his time at Louisville even count? Did he ever actually "leave" the transfer portal? Does it count as a transfer?

I remember when Gebbia left, his scholarship was 'burned' for the year because he'd went to classes, even though it was one freaking week. That was what really pissed me off about him - that scholarship could've been given to a walk-on who needed it.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Toe said:

In McCaffrey's case, I think it's fair to question whether the coaches evaluated him well. I don't like second guessing that, though. He was a guy that 247 had rated 4* with a pretty decent offer list - if Frost mis-evaluated him, he's not the only one.

That's a fair criticism.  I think Frost fell in love with his athleticism, and thought he would either be a decent option at QB after Adrian left, or be a candidate to change positions.  Then they mis-read how badly Luke wanted to stay at QB.

15 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Then they mis-read how badly Luke wanted to stay at QB.

It's a touchy subject with a lot of guys. Remember that we got Ameer because we were the only ones who were willing to give him a shot at RB. He had a ton of big-time offers, but they were recruiting him as an athlete that they'd put at DB or something. In Ameer's case, letting him stay at the position he really wanted to play worked out great. In Luke's case, not so much.

And this is why I'm wary of Tyreke Johnson...

• Plus1 2

I feel like McCaffery watched exactly zero seconds of Louisville football the past 2 years before deciding to transfer or whatever it's called there.  If he did, he would've seen that Cunningham is a budding stud and is not only a better thrower, he's also more athletic.  Hell, if you gave me the choice between Cunningham and Martinez I'd be the first guy to help 2AM pack.  There wasn't a snowball's chance in hell outside of an injury that he would win that job.  Someone gave that kid some frankly terrible advice on this one.

• Fire 1

lol, what an unsurprising plot twist.  If he wants to play qb he should just go to Navy or a triple option heavy school.  The bad part for him is he's really tarnishing his chances of making the NFL as a skill position guy.  I'm baffled as to who in his life is providing guidance and suggestions given his older brother is an NFL MVP at running back and Luke clearly has a noodle of an arm that will never change at this point.  Perhaps his fall back for making it to the NFL is the family name and knowing he has the wheels to switch later so give the QB path a chance now- but at a certain point programs of substance and coaches simply won't touch the guy given his headstrong approach here and questionable addition to the locker room

Cunningham has a better arm for sure, I'd say they're comparable athletes. We couldn't see it as much when he was trying to pass, but Luke is a really good athlete, as is Cunningham. But yeah, did someone tell him Cunningham was going to transfer or something? No idea what gave him the impression he would immediately be the starter there.

And the more I think about it, the less I would buy Satterfield implying he would have a great shot at the job or anything. I just don't think he'd have the sleaze to imply that, and then publicly come out and criticize the kid for expecting it. I'm thinking McCaffrey expected at least some reps with the 1's/some sort of official competition, which there's no reason for the coaches to do when you have a good returning starter. 

• Plus1 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey