Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

• 2 months later...

11 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

If Martinez goes and stays sideways, Frost needs to pull the trigger for Luke.

Agreed.  I know AM was his "must get" guy when hired at NU, but you have to do what you have to do.  Truly having a competition at every position in the summer and throughout the season will do a lot to establish the culture Frost is seeking...

37 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

If Martinez goes and stays sideways, Frost needs to pull the trigger for Luke.

23 minutes ago, lo country said:

Agreed.  I know AM was his "must get" guy when hired at NU, but you have to do what you have to do.  Truly having a competition at every position in the summer and throughout the season will do a lot to establish the culture Frost is seeking...

I really don't get the conspiracy theories that Luke is obviously the better QB right now and Frost is just stubbornly sticking with AM. I know that's not exactly what you guys said here, but I have no reason to believe Frost is playing anyone who is measurably worse than their backup. If Luke looks like the better QB he will play. I don't expect that to be the case this year.

As a side note, I think a lot of the debate comes down to fans valuing splash plays too much and consistency too little. A lot of us would roll the dice on a more talented player even if we knew they were more likely to blow a big assignment, seems like coaches (understandably) want to play it safer. I don't actually think that's the case for QB, but some other positions. Center is a case where the coaches went the risky route, and ironically were criticized pretty heavily for it.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I really don't get the conspiracy theories that Luke is obviously the better QB right now and Frost is just stubbornly sticking with AM. I know that's not exactly what you guys said here, but I have no reason to believe Frost is playing anyone who is measurably worse than their backup. If Luke looks like the better QB he will play. I don't expect that to be the case this year.

As a side note, I think a lot of the debate comes down to fans valuing splash plays too much and consistency too little. A lot of us would roll the dice on a more talented player even if we knew they were more likely to blow a big assignment, seems like coaches (understandably) want to play it safer. I don't actually think that's the case for QB, but some other positions. Center is a case where the coaches went the risky route, and ironically were criticized pretty heavily for it.

I agree with what you are saying.  Luke has flashed great potential, but it isn't a good enough body of work to say "he is better".  I do think AM struggled last year.  IMHO, he was injured all year (off season surgery), in his own head, getting used to new center, no more Stan (huge IMO) etc....It was the perfect storm of a crap showing (the whole team).  Luke, when he played, did great.  But again, not enough body of work.

My point was more to making sure that there is an actual competition (and not just at QB).  Gotta get this team on the same page.  Get the the culture right and start to win.

I would still love to see Frost use Luke like Taysom Hill....

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

For me its more about giving the team a chance if we're suffering at QB. Giving someone else a try. There's so many examples where poor to mediocre QB holds us back. I, for one, hope Martinez comes back with a vengeance and rips it up, as I think he physically gives us the best chance. However, what I can't stomach is an experienced QB, missing and over/under throwing and locking onto receivers. So I hope that changes.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Adrian has a chance to become a great QB.  He has good size and decent speed and throws well most of the time.  He should have the offense mastered completely and the experience to know whats heppening on the field, etc. 

Now, we need badly to see it this fall from that first snap.  He should be healthy and stronger than ever!

He has potential to be great!  But Luke has strengths too and if he impresses in fall camp, he needs a shot to show what he can do!   

Frost wants to win more than some may acknowledge.  He will do his best in this regard.   

I have a somewhat nuanced and obscure fear about the situation: 

Martinez will be better but then will get slightly injured and a 70% Martinez is worse than a 100% McCaffrey, but we'll stick it out with Martinez hoping he'll play up to his initial higher ceiling. And we'll just be that much worse off because we're afraid to put Luke in. I could totally see us doing something like that.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

Martinez will be better but then will get slightly injured and a 70% Martinez is worse than a 100% McCaffrey, but we'll stick it out with Martinez hoping he'll play up to his initial higher ceiling. And we'll just be that much worse off because we're afraid to put Luke in. I could totally see us doing something like that.

I think Frost knows that his in year 3 and the reboot year 1 and mulligan year 2 are over.  He doesnt have to set the world on fire but neither can he put another loser on the field. Real tangible progress is required (a bowl of some kind, 7 wins and no embarrassing 7 TD losses.  

All bets are off if the virus hits and we forfeit games or have a bunch of starters out and 2020 is a second mulligan.  

3 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

That’s because that is kind of, sort of similar to what happened last season. Here’s hoping Frost did some review and introspection.

Personally, I would love to see (and sort of expect) 2AM return to his freshman form (plus 2 years of maturity and improvement). I think he has the potential to be the bigger playmaker but, if we get more of last year, I feel pretty comfortable that Luke can handle it. At this point I’m more concerned with keeping the QB room happy enough that we don’t start losing depth to transfers.

26 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

That’s because that is kind of, sort of similar to what happened last season. Here’s hoping Frost did some review and introspection.

Personally, I would love to see (and sort of expect) 2AM return to his freshman form (plus 2 years of maturity and improvement). I think he has the potential to be the bigger playmaker but, if we get more of last year, I feel pretty comfortable that Luke can handle it. At this point I’m more concerned with keeping the QB room happy enough that we don’t start losing depth to transfers.

Last year's Iowa game was so painful. 94 yards of total offense on 39 pass/run attempts for Martinez. McCaffery was at 43 yards on 2 pass/run attempts (yes, one was a trick play). I have no idea if Luke would have done anything, but at that point we just needed to try it because it was painfully obvious Martinez wasn't gonna be effective. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Last year's Iowa game was so painful. 94 yards of total offense on 39 pass/run attempts for Martinez. McCaffery was at 43 yards on 2 pass/run attempts (yes, one was a trick play). I have no idea if Luke would have done anything, but at that point we just needed to try it because it was painfully obvious Martinez wasn't gonna be effective. 

That trick play was 39 yards and Iowa was convinced he was running and sold out completely.  No one was open the rest of the game. Yes Martinez was bad, yes he was hurt, yes the wide receivers couldn't block stationary objects, yes Wandale was hurt and Mills was the 2nd leading receiver.

That is called a team loss, a miracle it was close (56 carries for 3.3 per milked the clock).  Point being that was always going to be painful, no matter who played QB because of the team in general.

Luke will be ready to step in but there is zero doubt that Martinez starts in September.

Edited by runningblind
unless he has covid of course.
  • Plus1 5
12 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I agree with what you’re saying, I know high school is different than D1 big time college football but we had a kid at olb last year that was a head hunter big play waiting to happen when he was on the field, unfortunately we didn’t know if it was going to be for us or the other team. We had to put him in (due to injury)during crunch time in a district game that was also for the league championship. The opposition ran an option and instead of taking the pitch man who was his responsibility, he crushed the qb who made the pitch and they scored with less than 15 seconds left, we lost. Moral of the story is that it’s hard to Go away from a sure thing for a possible splash play unless you’ve planned out a perfect time for said splash play. 

I think Frost needs to really work on when he plays guys so they don’t burn a redshirt. I feel like that was mismanaged last year as he only played guys 1 or 2 snaps a game and imo that’s a waste

• Plus1 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey