Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

9 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That kinda gets to my thoughts on Luke. Would NU fans be clamoring for him playing if his name was Johnson or Smith?

I know that bloodlines and genetics matter when it comes to athleticism, but is Luke all that different from Adrian at this point?  Adrian has size, passing ability, and experience while Luke has athleticism, speed, and the unknown. I think fans fall in love with the “unknown”. 

Agreed and that was my point.  In a Michael Keaton, Multiplicity kind of way:lol:

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
14 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

That pretty much describes any freshman but sure.

From what I saw, freshman Martinez looked better than freshman McCaffrey. Would McCaffrey have looked better if he'd been receiving the #1 snaps in practice, I don't know.

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That kinda gets to my thoughts on Luke. Would NU fans be clamoring for him playing if his name was Johnson or Smith?

I know that bloodlines and genetics matter when it comes to athleticism, but is Luke all that different from Adrian at this point?  Adrian has size, passing ability, and experience while Luke has athleticism, speed, and the unknown. I think fans fall in love with the “unknown”. 

I'm sure AM has played football since he was pretty small.  Luke on the other hand has lived and breathed football since he was a baby. His dad , his brothers (and probably his mom) were always there to instruct and pattern his attitudes and skills. He knows what it takes and seems to be a team first guy. A concern I have is how well he would hold up in the Big 10 if he is forced to run a lot. I just hope we have two QB's with slightly different skill sets that will compliment each other and move the chains consistently.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, admo said:

Agreed and that was my point.  In a Michael Keaton, Multiplicity kind of way:lol:

Really tried to get the multiplicity "Pizza, I LIKE IT" gif but it doesn't seem to want to attach.  I finally gave up:(  Here it is if you want to see my favorite part of the movie itself https://tenor.com/view/pizza-multiplicity-okay-steve-gif-11796547

• Plus1 2

I think it’s also interesting that Logan Smothers has come to NU with more experience at QB than McCaffrey, better size, and similar athleticism, and nobody is clamoring for him to do much this year or in the future. I know McCaffrey has a year in the system and has the smarts to know the offense, it’s just an observation regarding the QB situation.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, TonyStalloni said:

I'm sure AM has played football since he was pretty small.  Luke on the other hand has lived and breathed football since he was a baby. His dad , his brothers (and probably his mom) were always there to instruct and pattern his attitudes and skills. He knows what it takes and seems to be a team first guy. A concern I have is how well he would hold up in the Big 10 if he is forced to run a lot. I just hope we have two QB's with slightly different skill sets that will compliment each other and move the chains consistently.

I think that's a concern any time you have a QB who can run.  McCaffrey looks really good running wise imo so I'm fine with him running some.  Makes great cuts and looks faster than you might think.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think it’s also interesting that Logan Smothers has come to NU with more experience at QB than McCaffrey, better size, and similar athleticism, and nobody is clamoring for him to do much this year or in the future. I know McCaffrey has a year in the system and has the smarts to know the offense, it’s just an observation regarding the QB situation.

Just wait until McCaffrey has a bad series or throws a bad interception.  At that point Smothers will have figured it all out.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I mean Frost himself has said Luke and AM have separated themselves and are neck and neck, it's not like the Luke hype is this fan created thing that has no substance. Add on glowing reviews of Luke from pretty much every player who media has access to.  If Frost/Teammates had been saying Logan had separated himself with AM and they were neck and neck, you'd be hearing the same rumblings with Smothers name instead of Luke. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

AM being named captain effectively ends this newfound QB controversy. Although I am happy that if AM struggles we may have a competent backup. 

Although I suspect that Adrian is on borrowed time unless he plays like he did his freshman year. Then again...the WRs/OL last year hurt him immensely. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey