Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

17 hours ago, hunter49 said:

i just hope someone doesn't walk over this, i am a bit nervous. 

Before signing day in February of 2019, I can guarantee you McCaffrey’s dad and trusted mentors advised him that Martinez would likely be a four year starter and that there was a decent chance he would only see significant game time if Adrian got hurt prior to him (Martinez) graduating.

If Luke pouted and transferred because Frost didn’t give him the starting job at this point, I would genuinely point, laugh, and say “see ya.”

• Plus1 7

I just think the conversation should be about how lucky we are to be in the QB situation we have now, given the dumpster-fire status Smilin’ Mike left us in.

Luke will have two years as the starter as long as Smothers doesn’t get the better of him. The Smothers redshirts and would get two years after Luke.

The setup is amazing when you factor in how much talent all three guys have.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
18 hours ago, hunter49 said:

i just hope someone doesn't walk over this, i am a bit nervous. 

Ever since Smothers committed, and we looked at a QB room that was three deep with young studs, it has been a foregone conclusion that we will not see all three of them complete their eligibility at Nebraska. That’s simply the nature of the business with star QBs these days.

One of these guys is gonna walk eventually, but no reason to sweat it right now.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, Undone said:

I just think the conversation should be about how lucky we are to be in the QB situation we have now, given the dumpster-fire status Smilin’ Mike left us in.

Luke will have two years as the starter as long as Smothers doesn’t get the better of him. The Smothers redshirts and would get two years after Luke.

Martinez, McCaffrey, Smothers.  Pretty darn good 3 deep.  Excited to see all 3 play.

42 minutes ago, Undone said:

Not sure I’m following you on the Smothers/McCaffrey timeline. Both are freshmen this year, and both will still be freshmen next year (due to this year not counting against eligibility). My guess is that one (or possibly both) will transfer by 2021 or 2022. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Not sure I’m following you on the Smothers/McCaffrey timeline. Both are freshmen this year, and both will still be freshmen next year (due to this year not counting against eligibility). My guess is that one (or possibly both) will transfer by 2021 or 2022. 

Neither will transfer 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
38 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Neither will transfer 

I am constantly impressed by the amount of sunshine you pump towards Nebraska.  Bravo for the resilience through dark times.

18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So one of them will be happy to be a backup for his whole career?  That doesn’t happen anymore. 

Martinez could end up a 5 year starter, it would be incredible if all 3 guys stayed that whole time, unless there are position changes.

• Plus1 5
6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So one of them will be happy to be a backup for his whole career?  That doesn’t happen anymore. 

Neither of their careers will be shortened.

.....and McCaffrey wants to play in this offense 

There was a time when Nebraska's two deep was NFL talent.  Frost has us heading back in that direction 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

6 hours ago, runningblind said:

I am constantly impressed by the amount of sunshine you pump towards Nebraska.  Bravo for the resilience through dark times.

Martinez could end up a 5 year starter, it would be incredible if all 3 guys stayed that whole time, unless there are position changes.

These aren't dark times 

Harvey Perlman used to be in charge.  Those were dark times 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
19 hours ago, runningblind said:

I agree that is possible but I believe it's unlikely.  I think one of two things happens.  Either AM is playing at a high enough level to go to the NFL after year 4 or he will be passed by Luke or Logan.  My vote is on the NFL.  I then think its very possible both young guys stay to battle for the job in what we all hope is a top 10 offense by that time.  If Luke loses that battle, I could see him transferring at that point since the only path to start would be through injury.  If Logan loses, he would still have 1-2 years of eligibility left when either Luke goes to the NFL or is done with eligibility.  On top of that, the chance for injury is high so I believe he would have good motivation to stay on as #2.      

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Seems like Frost is playing his cards in order to avoid another Gebbia situation. The chances seem high that Luke will be the starter by year's end. 

I don't think that's the reason. They've said all along they're going to play the guy who gives them the best chance to win, and if they're neck and neck in practice the guy who was been there before has a legitimate edge. With the Gebbia deal, by all accounts I've heard it wasn't tied. It was close but Martinez won it outright - mostly because of the run game options. I'm sure we'll see both guys, but neither seems like they'd be transferring right now if it was announced they were the backup.

I think the lack of announcing personnel decisions in general is Frost hoping a few of them catch OSU off guard. Makes the preparation more general instead of being able to focus on targeting specific players. Which is always the case with games early in the year, but even more so if you're not sure which guys will be playing.

• Plus1 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey