Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

I have said this since Luke has been here.  Taysom Hill.    Had a great Soph campaign.  Threw for almost 3k and rushed for 1300...........A ton of season ending injuries really put a damper on his numbers.  BUT in the NFL he has excelled as a jack of all trades.  QB, receiver, RB, punter and special teams.  I am no QB guru, but Luke does appear to have some promise.  A lot of ups and downs.  Issues on some long throws, some INT's etc...But AM has issues as well.  I think he is our most dynamic player on the field.  Even more so than Wan'dale.  Now with Wan'dale gone and possibly him, our O will look like it did with JLo.  AM runs, AM throws, AM runs again.  Pretty easy to stop....I'm hoping he stays.  Seems like a gamer.  Again back to Hill, Luke could be that guy. A threat to make a play from any skill position on the field.  Frost needs to use this to his advantage.  Much like Payton at NO.  He knows what he has in Hill and exploits the hell out of D's with his use....Frost could stand to watch some of the Saints games and how they use Hill....Luke is the type of athlete that Frost needs to find a way to get touches during the game.

• Plus1 2

@Gorillahawk And Martinez seemed to have little trouble finding Stanley Morgan on deep balls in his freshman year. Kinda funny how the problem started when Stanley left, huh? But a lot of people here prefer the explanation that Verduzco cast a voodoo mind control spell on Adrian to turn him into a terrible QB.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2
19 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

I went back and watched Luke's HS hudl highlights, he appeared to throw a decent long ball. I'm just really wondering if Frost had so little trust in out WR group that he more or less refused to let out QBs throw it deep

I think it's possible that a lot of it is a lack of confidence or trust. If you're not sure and don't commit to the throw, things can get bad quickly. I have a hard time believing he looks that bad all the time in practice.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I think it's possible that a lot of it is a lack of confidence or trust. If you're not sure and don't commit to the throw, things can get bad quickly. I have a hard time believing he looks that bad all the time in practice.

I think it was last year (2019) that we were driving and Frost opted to run and ended up punting (I know it sounds like a lot if games), but he had made the comment about not being confident with throwing the ball.....  Wish I could remember the game and the QB who was in....Point being, with that game on the line, Frost opted to run.  I think there is some "they can do it in practice", but can't in games that really limits play calling in addition to the lack of personnel.  It's gotta be frustrating as hell to the receiver and Frost to see a wide open receiver either over/under thrown or completely overlooked game after after game....Not really getting to practice with the guys you have ie game time and the guys you thought you had don't help either.  Hoping in the next few weeks we can ID receivers/TE/RB who will stay and contribute and find some way in the play calling via runs or passing to get vertical.  Is it spring yet....

On 1/22/2021 at 6:39 PM, Gorillahawk said:

I went back and watched Luke's HS hudl highlights, he appeared to throw a decent long ball. I'm just really wondering if Frost had so little trust in out WR group that he more or less refused to let out QBs throw it deep

But....we did see Luke try to throw a few longer balls and he was horrible at it.  

• Plus1 1

I mean, you don't have to have a cannon to be a good QB. McSorley was a great quarterback for PSU and I wouldn't say he has even a remotely good arm; he just made good decisions quickly, threw it accurately and was a good athlete who could hurt people with his legs. 

Based on the games, Adrian seems like the much-better option right now, but just because Luke was bad a freshman doesn't mean his QB career isn't salvageable. If our coaches think he should stay at QB, then I trust them. But I also think Luke should realize he can get on the field as a receiver right now and try to help the team while he waits to take over for Adrian.

57 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

I mean, you don't have to have a cannon to be a good QB. McSorley was a great quarterback for PSU and I wouldn't say he has even a remotely good arm; he just made good decisions quickly, threw it accurately and was a good athlete who could hurt people with his legs. 

Based on the games, Adrian seems like the much-better option right now, but just because Luke was bad a freshman doesn't mean his QB career isn't salvageable. If our coaches think he should stay at QB, then I trust them. But I also think Luke should realize he can get on the field as a receiver right now and try to help the team while he waits to take over for Adrian.

These are good takes. Adrian is the better option heading into the 2021 campaign but it doesn't mean Luke can't develop into a decent-to-good downfield passer.

Even if Martinez stayed for his 2nd senior year and was the starter, Luke will have two years of eligibility after Martinez. I think the bigger question in terms of somebody leaving could probably come towards the start of the 2022 year between McCaffrey & Smothers.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

No school for UNL today so not sure if the team has official activities or not.

Probably be a few days before something leaks out, one way or the other.

He is leaving.  Just got the news from my source.  Doesn't see a future for him at QB here and really wants to play QB.  Hope my guy is wrong but he hasn't been yet.    

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey