Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

Call me Nerdstrodamus, but 2 years ago I predicted that Luke would transfer out of NU before getting meaningful snaps at QB.  I admit that Luke did get meaningful snaps in 2020 by starting 2 games, and my thought was more around losing the 2021 QB battle to Smothers after Adrian declared for the NFL Draft after having 3 successful seasons at NU (big swing and a miss on that one).

7 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

It sucks losing players, but it is what it is.

I think everyone is pretty much in agreement that he should probaly be a skill position player.

Maybe a fresh coach relays that better.

Yeah I predict that he transfers somewhere that "guarantees him a shot at QB" misses his shot and eventually changes positions and excels, rather than transferring to a new school where he can have yet another shot at QB.   It would kind of suck to watch that unfold and be left here wondering what could have been, but such is life. 

26 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Thank you for your yearly contribution. You have 2 more posts remaining for the year.

:) - yeah, the mass-exodus that was the purge of Huskerboard a few years ago reduced my posting - and inversely greatly enhanced my productivity.  HB has been stifling descent a free speech since long before Facebook & Twitter! 

(before anyone flips out and bans me this is facetious)

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Welp, the kid wants to play QB.  I say good luck,  young man.  I wish him well.

I agree with you.  Maybe he ends up at a place that basically just runs the ball?  Army, Airforce, Navy... They all pass the ball less than 25% of all plays.  I could envision Luke running the triple option.  Even Wyoming wouldn't be a bad spot to land with a 65/35 run to pass average.

2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

This is what scares me ^. Freshman QB seems like a "project". Lotta eggs in the Smothers basket currently. 

Smothers was the smallest "project" of a QB of anyone on the roster. Luke and Heinrich were/are big time projects, Adrian not so much but he missed his entire senior year. Smothers got hurt at the end of his senior year IIRC, but he played most of 4 years at a high level. He's not going to start this year, but I don't think it's crazy to say he could've been passing Luke before long. I've said it before, you don't sign back to back to back 4* QB/Athletes and expect all 3 to stick around. Wish he was still here, but best of luck to him wherever he goes. 

4 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

My only question is can we use their scholarships now?  Or do we have to wait.  If we can use them now, good riddance.  If we have to wait until next year, than they need to be walk-ons where they go.

As far as taking more recruits, it doesn't affect anything.  Schools can only take 25 new scholarship guys each cycle and we have two spots left.  Who leaves doesn't matter in that regard.

As far as "using" their scholarships, I believe if they had not started classes then someone else can have that scholarship for this semester.  But that would have to be a walk-on already in the program, not someone new.  

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Call me Nerdstrodamus, but 2 years ago I predicted that Luke would transfer out of NU before getting meaningful snaps at QB.  I admit that Luke did get meaningful snaps in 2020 by starting 2 games, and my thought was more around losing the 2021 QB battle to Smothers after Adrian declared for the NFL Draft after having 3 successful seasons at NU (big swing and a miss on that one).

The accepted narrative 1-2 years ago was that one of Luke or Adrian would transfer and not finish their college career at UNL. I'm getting a chuckle out of the people that now think this is some travesty or knock on Frost.

Sure it would've been neat to see what LM could do at another position but apparently he wants to QB. I am past done caring about any specific player. We'll field a team with whoever is here. Next man up and no loyalty owed. That's what the portal is doing to CFB. I won't waste my breath wishing them well. If they are not here playing for us then they are against us. Simple.

• Plus1 6
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey