Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

13 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

But aren’t they until someone takes them? 

maybe he’ll see the light and come back. 

Has anyone ever returned from the portal?  Seems that would be very awkward. It would be like calling up the girl you dumped a week ago. Pretty hard to convince the coach you're all N at that point.

34 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Has anyone ever returned from the portal?  Seems that would be very awkward. It would be like calling up the girl you dumped a week ago. Pretty hard to convince the coach you're all N at that point.

If I recall Vedrahl did didn't he?  The next season went to Rutgers

Edit: it was Bunch as running stated.

Edited by HuskerInLostWages
  • Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, lo country said:

Not saying LM will return, but there was some other NU QB that left and the coach went to get him.  That guy turned out to be ok......

The program as a whole, on the other hand, not so much. In hindsight, I consider that episode to be the first sign that Solich was losing control...

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

After looking at Luke's high school passing stats, I'm pretty convinced that he wasn't the project...the coaching staff was.

High school stats don’t tell much about how good a kid will be in college. Luke was able to live off making short passes which turned into long gains or deep passes to wide open players because he was playing for the most talented team in the state. Luke struggles with accuracy and arm strength, and that’s been apparent in his game appearances since he’s been at NU. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Bunch tried the portal and came back.  But if I remember correctly, he and Frost had a conversation about it before he entered.  I remember Frost being up front about it saying Bunch wanted to see what schools might be interested but if he didn't feel a good fit, he'd be welcomed back.

Doesn't sound like LM had the same type of conversation...

• Plus1 2

34 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Bunch tried the portal and came back.  But if I remember correctly, he and Frost had a conversation about it before he entered.  I remember Frost being up front about it saying Bunch wanted to see what schools might be interested but if he didn't feel a good fit, he'd be welcomed back.

Doesn't sound like LM had the same type of conversation...

I would agree- they handled the situation very differently.  That said, Frost is a pretty understanding and forgiving guy.  If Luke explored his options and didn't care for the opportunities I think Frost would allow him back IF the team was ok with it.  Sounds like some of the guys were pretty ticked at how he handled it so that may not work?

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

I would agree- they handled the situation very differently.  That said, Frost is a pretty understanding and forgiving guy.  If Luke explored his options and didn't care for the opportunities I think Frost would allow him back IF the team was ok with it.  Sounds like some of the guys were pretty ticked at how he handled it so that may not work?

As stated above, I would have a very hard time trusting a guy that pulled what he did...but that is just me. My weakness of holding a grudge :-). 

Maybe, IF he were to decided to come back, Frost could tell him that it will not be at QB...even though he has said he has a future there. I don't see it and I think there are several others that don't see it. He is an athlete that can make plays, just not plays that involve throwing the ball down the field.

We need to move on and believe that Smothers will be the real deal and match the hype he had in high school. Hopefully AM can get things figured out, WRs to stretch the field, and OL that can be consistent.

11 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Domann basically did two summers ago. Missed the first couple weeks of camp to look around and decide if he truly wanted to be here.

I believe he just didn’t have any options at that point and came back. 

54 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Domann basically did two summers ago. Missed the first couple weeks of camp to look around and decide if he truly wanted to be here.

I believe he just didn’t have any options at that point and came back. 

I believe that instance really put him behind. I remember wondering why he wasn't on the field more.  He was behind and also in SF "doghouse", as well as you would and should be.  It has all worked out well, but I think it takes a special personality to want to leave, look around, take time off.....then basically come "begging" back (not truly begging, but you get point) , and accept that your coaches and teammates may not be thrilled and full of trust.  Furthermore, you weren't happy to begin with, then you come back to only be in the doghouse for a bit.  Pretty special circumstances to survive that.

* People are grasping for straws here. This ins't happening.

• Plus1 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey