Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

And just pulled himself out of uniform at Rutgers when no one really knew he was "hurt".

I forgot about that.

Based on interviews, I thought he was a fierce team player with a cutsy “awww shucks” attitude. But his actions are baffling. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Disagree

Though I too wish Luke would have stayed here, I can also see his perspective in leaving. Say he sticks it out here...

Best case for Luke, Adrian moves on after 2021 season and Luke has up to three years to potentially be the starter by beating out two freshman project QBs.

Alternative outcome: Adrian uses the Covid waiver and comes back to be the starter in 2022 as a fifth year senior. Luke's likely starting opportunity window drops to two seasons and the freshmen project QBs (presumably) get more even with practices and seasoning. At that point (2023 season), Luke would not have been a full season starter at QB since his senior year of HS in 2018. Add into this puzzle the assumption of not taking transfer QBs in today's transfer happy era.

Though the fan in me says to stick it out and earn the starting spot, the realist in me understands wanting a better opportunity if one is available. Seeing how many times some of my friends switched majors and flipped between colleges, I can understand a 20 year old changing his mind on more than one occasion.

Or, he sticks it out here and is developed into a good WR. 

• Plus1 1

Luke is getting bad advise and making wrong decisions - and/or he has visions of greatness in his head clouding his grasp of reality. 

He should go some place and prove himself as a slot receiver. 

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/luke-mccaffrey-is-out-at-louisville-could-he-return-to-nebraska-football

A compliance staff member at a Big Ten school laid out the circumstances that would contribute to a student-athlete returning to his original school.

If the player signed somewhere but never actually attended school, participated in workouts, and never received scholarship money, then he “likely did not officially trigger transfer status to School B.” The staff member adds, “We would have to look at all factors, but it is likely that they would be able to return to the original institution and play right away” because they never really became a student-athlete at the second institution and could return to the original school.

Based on the situation and what we know about triggering transfer status, McCaffrey looks like he’d fall into the maybe area. His participation in workouts could be enough to trigger that transfer status, but with the NCAA being hit and miss on decisions, he may be allowed to not count his time in Louisville.

McCaffrey has until July 1 to select a new home in order to qualify for the new one-time transfer rule.

Now, would McCaffrey be accepted back in Lincoln by coaches, players, and fans? That is an entirely different conversation. But from a rules standpoint, if McCaffrey wanted to come back and play for NU right away in the fall, that may be his quickest path to seeing the field at a Power 5 school, albeit not at quarterback.

• Plus1 1

If Luke wants to come back and play WR/RB I'm all for it. He would be a great wideout and was well-liked on the team, plus from a PR/outside perception standpoint it would be good to see someone leave and then ultimately decide things were better here.

If we want another DB we should go hard after the guy who just bounced from KU, Karon Prunty. He might be out of our league but he is an incredible player. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

If Luke wants to come back and play WR/RB I'm all for it. He would be a great wideout and was well-liked on the team, plus from a PR/outside perception standpoint it would be good to see someone leave and then ultimately decide things were better here.

That is your opinion and you’re welcome to it but I feel pretty much the opposite.  I am sure Frost had this discussion with him, probably more than once. He decided to bail on his team mates and made the same decision again after just a few days in Louisville. He has done nothing to make me think he is listening to anyone or anything other than his ill conceived notion that he deserves to be a quarterback. Not worth another look for Nebraska and probably also not for most any D1 team. If he wants to play QB he better set his sights much lower. Too bad because the kid was an athlete but I’m not sure what he has going on between the ears but it’s not reality. We don’t need proven problems like this.

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

That is your opinion and you’re welcome to it but I feel pretty much the opposite.  I am sure Frost had this discussion with him, probably more than once. He decided to bail on his team mates and made the same decision again after just a few days in Louisville. He has done nothing to make me think he is listening to anyone or anything other than his ill conceived notion that he deserves to be a quarterback. Not worth another look for Nebraska and probably also not for most any D1 team. If he wants to play QB he better set his sights much lower. Too bad because the kid was an athlete but I’m not sure what he has going on between the ears but it’s not reality. We don’t need proven problems like this.

Agreed.  Kind of reminds me of Eric Crouch.  He would have been an amazing receiver in the NFL wt his speed but he was hard headed about being a NFL QB.  That didn't work out so well. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

If big programs reward this sort of behavior they are just asking to see more of it.

However, it is at least possible this says more about the disarray of the Louisville program than it does Luke McCaffrey.

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/qb-luke-mccaffrey-transfers-from-louisville-as-soon-as-he-arrives-on-campus/

The “greener pasture” turned out to be a turd farm. Yikes!

• suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey