Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

I don't think it is fair to say it is a bad choice to transfer because it depends on the "why"

To get to a better program?

To be the man?

To change positions?

To be closer to home?

To get more playing time?

I also don't think Frost said anything wrong.  

The lamest part was that crybaby CM, talking about "Players, watch out to see how coaches treat you after you are no longer useful to them"

I mean, if you graduate, grad transfer, get injured, leave early to the NFL, quit playing, then yeah, I think most coaches are happy to keep looking out for you, that makes sense, but to leave to go play for another school,  I mean, how much more "looking out" for that player is a coach supposed to do at that point?

• Plus1 5

9 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Frost speaks his mind in a respectful way. He didn’t even mention LM. This is all a bunch of unnecessary whining  by the brothers McCaffrey.  Who gives a rats a$$ what CMC thinks and who’s even heard of Max. Just continue to be you, Coach Frost and ignore the outside BS.  

Yep, I have no problem with what he said.  

people need to start stating the reality of the portal.  Fine, players want the ability to transfer?  They have it and that’s not going to change.  But, most don’t end up at a place like they think they are going to.  And, people being honest about that isn’t the problem. 

I like Mitch Sherman, and what he writes for The Athletic, but he was too quick to make it seem like Frost was directly referencing Luke in Frost’s original quote. Frost may have been inferring Luke, but he doesn’t directly make a comment about Luke. Of course Christian McCaffrey is going to stick up for his brother, but he does a poor job of doing so.

It’s all a bunch of nothing, getting talked up because it’s the middle of June with not much else going on, and will be forgotten about within a couple weeks. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

Why does The Athletic continue to use Nebraska as a punching bag? They were among the most vocal speaking out against Nebraska's "we want to play" stance last year when Kevin Warren canceled the season. Nicole Auerbach and Stewart Mandel were pretty harsh, and if I recall, Mitch Sherman followed along with their criticisms. None of that was justified, and as it turned out, Ohio State was doing the same thing(s) as Nebraska, but even in hindsight they didn't take a similar stance against OSU.

I could see it if Frost said something specific about a player, or really went off the rails, but this is nothing to get crazy about. And to amplify the McCaffrey boys' tweets seems really unnecessary. So why do it?

• Plus1 4
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Why does The Athletic continue to use Nebraska as a punching bag? They were among the most vocal speaking out against Nebraska's "we want to play" stance last year when Kevin Warren canceled the season. Nicole Auerbach and Stewart Mandel were pretty harsh, and if I recall, Mitch Sherman followed along with their criticisms. None of that was justified, and as it turned out, Ohio State was doing the same thing(s) as Nebraska, but even in hindsight they didn't take a similar stance against OSU.

I could see it if Frost said something specific about a player, or really went off the rails, but this is nothing to get crazy about. And to amplify the McCaffrey boys' tweets seems really unnecessary. So why do it?

I will be real curious to see how some of the national media handle it if Nebraska ever returns to significance under Frost. 

20 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

This all started because MITCH SHERMAN (who is a douche) cherry picked the quote and inserted Luke's name to make Frost look bad. He wants his click bait and got it. 

He was one of the reasons I subscribed to the athletic initially, coincidentally enough, my calendar reminded me to cancel my subscription to just this past weekend. 

3 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

He was one of the reasons I subscribed to the athletic initially, coincidentally enough, my calendar reminded me to cancel my subscription to just this past weekend. 

I cancelled a lot of memberships last year with the way national media handled Nebraska wanting to play football. I wish more Nebraskans would do the same.

I get why Mitch did it, I would have done the same if I was in his shoes.  Reminder to anyone that thinks journalists are not in the sales biz, they are and they always will be.  

I would just be cooler if instead of trying to stick up for himself he just came out and said "Look, it was clearly a shot and I will report how I want to report"

• Plus1 5
10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I get why Mitch did it, I would have done the same if I was in his shoes.  Reminder to anyone that thinks journalists are not in the sales biz, they are and they always will be.  

I would just be cooler if instead of trying to stick up for himself he just came out and said "Look, it was clearly a shot and I will report how I want to report"

And now he walks it back, so he now identifies himself as someone who speaks before thinking...which is typical Skip content. 

17 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I cancelled a lot of memberships last year with the way national media handled Nebraska wanting to play football. I wish more Nebraskans would do the same.

Cheers to that. Last year was a good year to cancel a lot of accounts. 

10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I don't think I would've done it exactly the same but I also thought it was unnecessary for Frost to throw out a comment about former players. It was very clearly about Luke, he didn't need to say his name to make that obvious. It's a fair point, he has transferred multiple times now and probably didn't plan on doing that. He's far from the only guy in the country to be in that situation, so to me it was uncalled for - he's gone, move on. There's a kid at USC who transferred twice before fall camp. 

They've made a big deal out of "we're going to worry about the guys that are here," so I don't know why he specifically called out what had to be McCaffrey. It's the kind of comment that goes over great with the local crowd but you probably shouldn't make when the actual media guys are there. 

• Thanks 2
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey