Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

8 hours ago, I am I said:

btw, they made a CHOICE to go to their college.  Not forced. Now we letting kids 19ish just walk away from a 2-3 process of that recruitment. You think Frost or Harbaugh likes calling kids 2 time zones away at 9pm for 2 yrs only to have them walk after 6 months or 1.5 yrs of the coaches full commitment to them? Then see them go to a school for 4 days then transfer again? If a coach leaves for a better opportunity after 3-6 yrs at that school, he’s EARNED that right cuz he’s 40, and he’s a man. Giving kids the right to move on whenever they see fit is stupid and not helping them to grow and learn and earn life’s stripes. 

forced?? Lol. These kids have had plenty of options. And they execute that option on signing day. But yeah, go about that “business” and see 1,100 kids in a “portal” per year and maybe you’ll end up at 3 schools in 4 yrs with no degree, all the while b!^@hing they were forced or it was the coaches fault. 

making kids stick to something isn’t a real bad thing, if they made that CHOICE in the first place to sign. Go to JUCO if you think you can do better in 1-2 yrs. 

They made the choice to go to college, and they should be free to choose to decide that it was a mistake and then go to a different one. It's not the military. Coaches won't like it, but who cares? Frost gets paid five million dollars a year, and if he gets fired will still get paid millions for failing, he can have the expectation of having to deal with stupid kids.

Giving kids the right to move on whenever they see fit is not stupid, it's giving them the autonomy to be in control of their life. Forcing them to stay put is stupid - you never learn good lessons when you're coddled and protected, you only 'earn life's stripes' by taking risks.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I get your take on it but IMO, he is publicly reminding his current players what can happen when you bail.  Highlighting the bad things that can happen just might convince a kid in the program to pause before leaving.  To me, all of his comments regarding transfers are a form of worrying about who he currently has.  Mentioning specifically someone they know hopefully makes it hit home with some of them.    

This wasn't addressed to the kids in the program though. It's being blown way out of proportion, and Sherman did not help anything in the way he chose to present it. But I don't get bringing up guys that aren't in the program anymore at a public event. When he left here, sure - that directly affects the team and if the coaches want to comment on the pitfalls of that individual decision no problem. But once we get further down the line and neither of the schools involved are us, I'd rather leave it alone. 

Frost is not wrong, and this should not be a big deal. Not like he bad mouthed him, the facts are Luke has already transferred twice and nobody expects that to happen when they go to transfer the first time. But I've always had the mindset that you publicly comment on only your players (including if/when the decide to transfer from your school), and opposing players you will be playing against. Luke is neither at this point. You want to point out to the team how that turned out great, but they already know anyway. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Louisville's coach saying LM left because he expected a starting job and what not was so much worse than anything Frost said. Frost didn't need to make the reference, but he's not wrong and for kids not named LM transferring 2-3 times or more is going to make it really likely you never graduate.

LM will be alright. His family is successful and I’m sure they can give him a token job somewhere. 

but for the rest of the 97%, team hopping is going to ruin their life. They are going to be saddled with so much residual school debt and no job to pay it with. They are all getting bad advice. The NCAA is going to ruin their lives. 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

LM will be alright. His family is successful and I’m sure they can give him a token job somewhere. 

but for the rest of the 97%, team hopping is going to ruin their life. They are going to be saddled with so much residual school debt and no job to pay it with. They are all getting bad advice. The NCAA is going to ruin their lives. 

This is spot on.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Yep, good stuff.

I believe it does make sense for a kid who has a legitimate shot at the NFL, because you want to be showcased as well as you can be in your collegiate career.

But to your point, that probably only applies to maybe that 3% of the roster anyway.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Yep, good stuff.

I believe it does make sense for a kid who has a legitimate shot at the NFL, because you want to be showcased as well as you can be in your collegiate career.

But to your point, that probably only applies to maybe that 3% of the roster anyway.

My percentages are based on nothing, lol-just a guess.  Not many have Uber wealthy parents that can absorb the cost of moving schools.  Scholarship money is just the tip of the iceberg of the financial burden of attending college(leases, books, travel, cost of moving, down payments, etc) . And then you can’t work as an athlete, so it’s extra expensive and loan companies will let you run up debt as well. 

the NCAA should provide a financial risk burden assessment/counseling when kids enter the portal. Compare it to earned college credits. I think college kids get use to living without financial recourse. I wasn’t an athlete and I got use to it. But the end does come. 

not sure if it exactly the same, but my son-in-law is the basketball coach at York College. Last year he had two kids show up in August and hate York and left within a week or two of college. He tried to show them what it was going to cost, because they had incurred tuition charges even though they had came as scholarship players. They also  incurred dorm charges and lost grant money. They were out of state so travel expenses as well. 

and how many Joe Burrow’s are out there

6 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

They made the choice to go to college, and they should be free to choose to decide that it was a mistake and then go to a different one. It's not the military. Coaches won't like it, but who cares? Frost gets paid five million dollars a year, and if he gets fired will still get paid millions for failing, he can have the expectation of having to deal with stupid kids.

Giving kids the right to move on whenever they see fit is not stupid, it's giving them the autonomy to be in control of their life. Forcing them to stay put is stupid - you never learn good lessons when you're coddled and protected, you only 'earn life's stripes' by taking risks.

There were transfer options before.  

What’s different now is when a kid publicly declares “ I am putting my name in the portal” they suddenly get faster, can separate from the DBs, or throw with more strength and accuracy.

It’s a magic ring of fire this new transfer portal. 

Rivals Fact or Fiction

Scott Frost is wrong about Luke McCaffrey

FARRELL'S TAKE: FICTION.

You might have seen the Nebraska head coach be a bit critical of transfer Luke McCaffrey when asked about his decision to transfer to Louisville only to leave after a few days to transfer again to Rice. Frost essentially said that McCaffrey and others are getting bad advice and he’s right. It may be hypocritical of the head coach who himself transferred as a player to say so, but for a player like McCaffrey with so many experienced football people in his corner to wait until he arrived at Louisville to figure out he wouldn’t start is just bad due diligence. His brothers can tweet all they want but he clearly didn’t think this through.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

why is he acting like Frost said his name?  He mentioned two guys transferring and then transferring again.  We all know who he was talking about but its not like he was dragging the McCaffrey name through the mud.  Would people outside of Nebraska fans really know what coach Frost was talking about or even been reading what Frost said unless CMC tweeted about it?

• Plus1 5
18 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

why is he acting like Frost said his name?  He mentioned two guys transferring and then transferring again.  We all know who he was talking about but its not like he was dragging the McCaffrey name through the mud.  Would people outside of Nebraska fans really know what coach Frost was talking about or even been reading what Frost said unless CMC tweeted about it?

And he really wasn't even critical of Luke.  He was critical of the advice he may have been getting.

Maybe @PasstheDamnBallGuy is on to something...

• Plus1 4

One thing that I find interesting is that people say "Frost transferred, so he shouldn't be criticizing", however Frost's comments this week are that "kids are transferring and ending up in worse schools (situations) than they previously were".  When Frost transferred, he IMPROVED his situation.  He went from an average team which had their coach just retire (Stanford) to Nebraska (which had a spot for him as a starter and was competing for national championships).

I know NU hasn't been great in CFB recently, but other than academics, is Rice a better football program/situation for Luke than Nebraska?  Again, I'm not hurt that Luke transferred or even the comments by Christian, but the comments by Frost have been honest and truthful.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

One thing that I find interesting is that people say "Frost transferred, so he shouldn't be criticizing", however Frost's comments this week are that "kids are transferring and ending up in worse schools (situations) than they previously were".  When Frost transferred, he IMPROVED his situation.  He went from an average team which had their coach just retire (Stanford) to Nebraska (which had a spot for him as a starter and was competing for national championships).

I know NU hasn't been great in CFB recently, but other than academics, is Rice a better football program/situation for Luke than Nebraska?  Again, I'm not hurt that Luke transferred or even the comments by Christian, but the comments by Frost have been honest and truthful.

In regards to the amenities and spotlight etc. It was a large step down. Looking at the world of players being able to profit coming to fruition only makes that divide greater for "small" market teams with smaller followings etc. Frost never once criticized guys for transferring but instead criticized those giving them terrible advice. Obviously the ones giving them advice took offense. 

• Plus1 2