JD Spielman rumors

Red Five

Since a former Gopher WR and current Twin Cities radio/TV personality has put it out there, I guess it's probably time to start a thread on this.

Living where I live, I have heard rumblings about this since mid-season from people that are connected with JD's high school football program.  I am hoping that it is all just smoke and JD comes back to break our receiving records, but I can't blame him for looking to go back home.

• Plus1 1

The only logical reason I could possibly see where this would make sense for him would be if he thought that Minnesota's QB situation gave him a better chance of being showcased for the 2021 NFL draft. 

Outside of that, it wouldn't be worth the hassle in any way, shape, or form for him.

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Since a former Gopher WR and current Twin Cities radio/TV personality has put it out there, I guess it's probably time to start a thread on this.

Living where I live, I have heard rumblings about this since mid-season from people that are connected with JD's high school football program.  I am hoping that it is all just smoke and JD comes back to break our receiving records, but I can't blame him for looking to go back home.

You cant blame him... why? 

7 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

You cant blame him... why? 

I don't blame anyone for wanting to go home, especially as a grad transfer.  Also, he has played here for 3 seasons w/o getting to a bowl game (next year will be a dog fight to make one IMO).  He can go to an up and coming program with a ton of momentum going into next year.  Plus Minnesota had two 1,000 yard WRs this year, so he knows he can get the ball and be productive.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

Let’s not act like this is new news.  Frost had to re-recruit him to stay after he was hired.  Smoke about him leaving after the Riley firing was pretty dense.  Again there was smoke this last offseason.  Picked up again midway through this season and had grown since.  

Guy wants to be closer to home as a grad transfer, power to him.  He’ll have his degree which should be an athletes top goal going into college.  He wouldn’t be drafted if he declared early, as teams will pick apart his size and health so another year of tape in an offense that loves stretching the field in the pass game wouldn’t hurt his future.  

Good on him whatever he chooses to do

• Plus1 8
11 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Minnesota had a great season. I see no reason for them to drum up random rumors. But apparently it gets rather boring up there in -5 degree weather.

I cant blame them for trying.  That would help them, and hurt one of their competitors.  I know ive been beating this drum for the past month, but if i was a receiver i'd rather not play for AM. 

In JD's case, AM will see him atleast, considering thats the only guy he looks at on the whole field.  But defenses know that and so JD isnt open hardly ever.  By now defenses dont even cover our other receivers half the time, cause whats the point.  Plus JD is gonna be hung out to dry at least a few times, possibly ending his career, and there is equal chance it hits a DBs hands first or his own.

This should be done in house obviously, but i wish they would poll the offensive players and ask them who theyd rather have as their QB.  It could be anonymous.  Maybe they would rather play for Martinez..idk....but it is important that a offense likes their QB.

• Haha 3