JD Spielman rumors

Red Five

3 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

One certainly couldn't blame him for his frustrations.  He has been my favorite player this season by a long shot.  Heck I'd be frustrated too if I were in his shoes, based on who the coaches were starting at certain positions that clearly were holding the team back.  Meanwhile he's busting his a$$ and the D is still getting exposed.  That's why I maintain my "addition by subtraction" prediction for next years D.  There are some who had NO business starting and playing as much as they did.  Put that on the coaches.

Who started and played that shouldn't have?

7 hours ago, HuskerPwr said:

If JD would rather transfer for his final year of eligibility instead of break every Husker WR record, that’s concerning. 

Ya, and with all the qb's and O-line back we should be all the better at getting him the ball. I could understand trying his luck in the draft but transferring would be silly IMO. 

12 hours ago, C N Red said:

Cant believe so many still bagging on defense. The offense was by far the biggest reason for us sucking this year, with STs being a close second. Defense numbers better than last yesr, offense worse.

Offense worse than last year? Sure.

But that's no reason to stop bagging on the defense. Defense should have been high priority for the past 8 seasons and yet nothing seems to stick. This year's Husker defense once again made mediocre QBs and offenses look good, and opposing OCs look brilliant, simply by telegraphing everything we were going to give them. A slight statistical improvement over last year proves nothing. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

They have no depth and they showed they aren’t going to burn redshirts unless necessary. One could argue that players who didn’t deserve the starts are bodies that they don’t have long term plan for. They weren’t willing to move Cam Jurgens from C to G - like i’ve seen suggested - for short term success because they are looking at future seasons.

It’s my hypothesis that they used a second season to develop guys, thinking they could scrape by to get 6 wins, but it backfired. At least that’s what helps me sleep at night :lol: 

I love me some JD as a WR, but I wish he wasn’t our punt returner. My main concern was keeping him healthy, but that reasoning is out the window with how AM left him out to dry all season. Yeah, he has a couple TDs as a returner, but he is like an extra opponent when he is fielding a punt - letting a ball roll extra yards inside the 20, then catching it inside the ten, or being someplace he shouldn’t and fielding it at the 2.

edit: corrected “wish he *wasn’t* our PR”

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Offense worse than last year? Sure.

But that's no reason to stop bagging on the defense. Defense should have been high priority for the past 8 seasons and yet nothing seems to stick. This year's Husker defense once again made mediocre QBs and offenses look good, and opposing OCs look brilliant, simply by telegraphing everything we were going to give them. A slight statistical improvement over last year proves nothing.

I'd call 45 fewer yards per game and 4 fewer points more than slight statistical improvement. Still not good enough, and the defense deserves it's share of the blame without a doubt. But if statistical improvement "proves nothing," what does? Just fans feeling better about what they see?

• Plus1 1
Just now, Husker in WI said:

I'd call 45 fewer yards per game and 4 fewer points more than slight statistical improvement. Still not good enough, and the defense deserves it's share of the blame without a doubt. But if statistical improvement "proves nothing," what does? Just fans feeling better about what they see?

I get that there was some improvement from 2018 to 2019.  However, the thing I was most concerned about is that the teams that played NU in both 2018 and 2019, I didn't see significant improvement in the defense performance against those teams.  Except for Northwestern, which was a dumpster fire on offense this year and their OC was fired, NU struggled with teams they played against last year.

Colorado, Purdue, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Iowa all knew how to attack the defense and did pretty well.  NU is going to be playing the same coaches for half of the games each year, NU's coaching staff needs to improve on how to play against these coaches.

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I get that there was some improvement from 2018 to 2019.  However, the thing I was most concerned about is that the teams that played NU in both 2018 and 2019, I didn't see significant improvement in the defense performance against those teams.  Except for Northwestern, which was a dumpster fire on offense this year and their OC was fired, NU struggled with teams they played against last year.

Colorado, Purdue, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Iowa all knew how to attack the defense and did pretty well.  NU is going to be playing the same coaches for half of the games each year, NU's coaching staff needs to improve on how to play against these coaches.

I have to disagree for the most part. I don't think Colorado outschemed us, we shut them down for almost 3 quarters and then our guys imploded. We did alright against Purdue until the end, although the ending was very concerning given the backup QB and no Rondale Moore - but way better than we played Purdue last year. And honestly we played Illinois better this year - the defense was put in bad situations. Definitely a problem that they never seem to get a stop after a sudden change, but that's a different issue - our offense and Illinois' receivers bailed the D out last year. We played them better (but still bad) this year. I liked our plan against Iowa for the most part, just can't have mistakes that lead to 40+ yard TDs.

Minnesota I'll give you, and I can't call Wisconsin an improvement when we gave up 200+ to Taylor yet again. It felt better for some reason, but the numbers really don't bear that out.

Back on the Spielman note, I don't see him going anywhere.

1 hour ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Uh, not sure if this was said or not, but Minnesota isn't playing for a conference championship right now either, FWIW.

Playing for a conference championship meaning playing meaningful games late in the season and not being not being eliminated from contention by November.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1