JD Spielman rumors

Red Five

8 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

So if he wants to be in the record books, which is every athletes dream, he would stick around and get it.

If you took a survey, I would bet that more of them dream of collecting fat NFL paychecks than being in college record books.

• Plus1 3
On 12/1/2019 at 12:25 PM, Big Red Viking said:

Let him go.  His punt return prowess is terrible at best.  The Gophers were exposed in the last 3 games for the joke they are.  Let him row the boat with PJ Flake.  By the way Johnson is considered a joke in Minnesota.

I dont think he is. He is on KFAN and does a lot of Viking talk. I actually normally like his takes.

I would describe him as a bit like Damon Benning. Smart football guy who probably thinks a bit too much of himself and will just say whatever he wants.

That being said, he does technically get a paycheck from the Gophers(I believe) and wouldnt this tweet be considered "recruiting".

I get he isnt a Gopher coach but......

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I dont think he is. He is on KFAN and does a lot of Viking talk. I actually normally like his takes.

I would describe him as a bit like Damon Benning. Smart football guy who probably thinks a bit too much of himself and will just say whatever he wants.

That being said, he does technically get a paycheck from the Gophers(I believe) and wouldnt this tweet be considered "recruiting".

I get he isnt a Gopher coach but......

No, he gets paid by kfan and fox9, and for the record he is very close to the speilman family, so he would know more than your average joe about the situation.

23 hours ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Doesn't help that his head coach said his team's confidence is fragile, and that's because that is what Riley left him. 

Don't think that doesn't play into whatever decision he makes somewhat.

I mean... Frost wasn't wrong about that, and he didn't say it in a derogatory way - more as a matter of fact, which it is.

20 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I had to see where Riley was currently.  He's now the OC for the XFL's Seattle Dragons.  Given the history of non-NFL pro football leagues in the U.S., at least Mike won't have a long drive down the west coast back to his home in Corvallis.

Let's be real... He'd ride his bike.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, RowTheBoat said:

No, he gets paid by kfan and fox9, and for the record he is very close to the speilman family, so he would know more than your average joe about the situation.

Wasnt sure if it was a Paul Allen type situation where he was on gopher shows that are actually paid for by the University. Paul Allen is a KFAN employee but actually gets paid by Vikings for his broadcasts.

I do believe he might be considered a Booster though and that is where things would become interesting.

Ron Johnson is going a bit after Nebraska. He seems to have some hate.

I do like his takes on the Vikings though. 

On 12/3/2019 at 4:53 AM, lo country said:

I think the "talent" has been here.  Development/lack of effort has hurt a lot.

I do think he is recruiting the pieces.  I just wish he did better with what he has as opposed to what he wants.

lol, can you please elaborate on all the "talent" we've had at our disposal?  Riley inflated his classes with 4 star skill position players, the majority of which never played a snap or stepped on campus.  O line "talent" was atrocious and you simply can't compete with a young O line in today's football landscape.  Show me one team with an O line mostly made up of freshman/sophomores and I'll show you a team with a 8 win ceiling max.

While Bo did a decent job placing defensive talent in the NFL, the lack of all conf recognition along with minimal draft talent tells the story of the past decade

• Fire 1
16 minutes ago, RowTheBoat said:

He could just mean hangout during Christmas break when he goes home to Minnesota (especially considering Kamal Martin graduates after this year), but I like drama so...omg is this another clear sign he is going to be playing for Minnesota!?!? Debate!

9553207.jpeg

Now you're trying just a little too hard, user RowTheBoat.

Ryan Burns is plugged in to the gophers more than anyone, his "sources" are literally the coaches and has mentioned in the past coaches talk to him about his opinion on recruits, and this what he says about the situation. In another post he said that if JD were to enter the portal it wouldn't be until spring semester so he doesn't lose his scholarship from Nebraska while finishes his degree. Nebraska would have the right and would pull his scholarship for spring semester if he decides to enter the portal before then.

Screenshot_20191204_184111.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Frost said in his presser today that he's excited to coach Spielman another year.

Not sure of the context that was brought up in but it sure sounds like he's trying to quell the rumors.

You could probably quell most of them at this point by making just one user in this thread take a time out.

• Fire 1
On 12/4/2019 at 12:51 PM, gossamorharpy said:

lol, can you please elaborate on all the "talent" we've had at our disposal?  Riley inflated his classes with 4 star skill position players, the majority of which never played a snap or stepped on campus.  O line "talent" was atrocious and you simply can't compete with a young O line in today's football landscape.  Show me one team with an O line mostly made up of freshman/sophomores and I'll show you a team with a 8 win ceiling max.

While Bo did a decent job placing defensive talent in the NFL, the lack of all conf recognition along with minimal draft talent tells the story of the past decade

I’ll just correct one piece here because people think bo was such an amazing coach.  His NFL placements had declined yr over yr.  i think it was Riley’s first yr and Gerry was the lone draft pick in that class.  The yr before I thin Ameer was the lone draft pick.  Bo did not do a “decent” job of getting talent in the nfl.  Off Callahan’s recruits is another story.