JD Spielman rumors

Red Five

22 minutes ago, TheSker said:

So you're saying Frost won't deliver results at Nebraska?

And what's your definition of multiple?

PJ's record.  Granted it is only 2 schools, but he turned two programs around.  Since he left, Western Michigan is pretty average again.....Took over an average Gophers and have them playing well in year 3....Also in defense of Frost, it is 7 seasons vs 4 for Frost....I hope Frost rights the ship, but I do like PJ's more "inclusive" mentality of "row the boat" vs "we need better athletes"....That's just me.  I've had a bosses that have discounted "current" employees and a desire to get "new guys in".....Doesn't really work well IMHO.  Even worse when "your guy" at QB has struggled and you say he "needs more help".  A true statement, but one better left unsaid IMHO.  

Year School G W L T Pct SRS SOS AP Pre AP High AP Post Bowl Notes
2013 Western Michigan 12 1 11 0 .083 -19.16 -4.33          
2014 Western Michigan 13 8 5 0 .615 -1.79 -7.79       Famous Idaho Potato Bowl-L  
2015 Western Michigan 13 8 5 0 .615 4.77 -0.08       Popeyes Bahamas Bowl-W  
2016 Western Michigan 14 13 1 0 .929 12.03 -4.61   12 15 Cotton Bowl-L  
2017 Minnesota 12 5 7 0 .417 3.36 4.78          
2018 Minnesota 13 7 6 0 .538 5.28 4.05       Quick Lane Bowl-W  
2019 Minnesota 12 10 2 0 .833 11.37 1.54   7    

To add that we are now comparing ourselves to Minnesota as a barometer of success should tell us all we need to know about where NU is......

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lo country said:

PJ's record.  Granted it is only 2 schools, but he turned two programs around.  Since he left, Western Michigan is pretty average again.....Took over an average Gophers and have them playing well in year 3....Also in defense of Frost, it is 7 seasons vs 4 for Frost....I hope Frost rights the ship, but I do like PJ's more "inclusive" mentality of "row the boat" vs "we need better athletes"....That's just me.  I've had a bosses that have discounted "current" employees and a desire to get "new guys in".....Doesn't really work well IMHO.  Even worse when "your guy" at QB has struggled and you say he "needs more help".  A true statement, but one better left unsaid IMHO.  

2014 Western Michigan 13 8 5 0 .615 -1.79 -7.79       Famous Idaho Potato Bowl-L  

To add that we are now comparing ourselves to Minnesota as a barometer of success should tell us all we need to know about where NU is......

Minnesota was left in a much, much, much, much better position than we were when PJ took it over. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, lo country said:

We already knew where NU was.

Or have you missed all the complaining about the last 20 years of Husker football?

I am more excited about what Frost is doing at Nebraska than I am what Fleck is doing at Minnesota.

28 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Well considering he was always leaving the state I doubt he lost sleep.  And I was referring to Johnson.  And multiple schools being two(Minny and western Michigan) is still one more than Scotty. 

I guess PJ may start losing sleep coming up for bowl prep.  Poor guy

I knew you were referring to Johnson, but Benhart is already on roster.....and if Johnson does sign that will be two straight years Frost has signed a top talent in a position of need from Minnesota.

It will eventually become a big deal to Fleck.

I fully realize Minnesota is doing better than Nebraska right now.

And I'll assume you're not "Scotty's" biggest fan, so really going back and forth is pointless.

2 hours ago, WVhuskerXX said:

https://hailvarsity.com/s/8478/getting-the-job-done-on-the-edge-mills-role-oscars-and-more

This article from Hail Varsity yesterday had a portion of it relating to JD. Goes into detail about on the field and off the field. SIAP.

from the article - 

“He is, in every sense of the word, a fantastic receiver.  But if he’s not involved, he fades. He goes off script. He looked like he was going through the motions at times against Iowa. “

Wow......he does take some plays off when it comes to perimeter blocking.

6 hours ago, TheSker said:

Wow......he does take some plays off when it comes to perimeter blocking.

And that's what has got to be killing a coach.  You want to win.  You want to set a tone/culture/expectations etc....How do you correct your best receiver (and possible all time Husker record holder) when everyoe sees this on film and he still plays....If you sit him, I'm pretty confident we lose another game or few....He continues to play and other guys see no accountability by the staff or "two sets of rules"......

A also wonder if some of the "fade" was the immense use of Wan'dale.  Could be explained as simply JD being double teamed.  Or maybe some saw it as "favoritism"  over Frost's guy....Who knows.  Gonna be interesting.

Wonder if film shows this on other guys?

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, TheSker said:

We already knew where NU was.

Or have you missed all the complaining about the last 20 years of Husker football?

I am more excited about what Frost is doing at Nebraska than I am what Fleck is doing at Minnesota.

I posted that in response to "multiple" programs.  There is no denying that Fleck has done a good job at the two places he has been.  I know how far we have fallen.  And that is also my partial point as well.  I'm tired of moral victories.  I'm tired of the excuses.  I'm tired of being mired in mediocrity (actually that might be a step up) for years.  

When Indiana has a better record, when we look at Minnie as a standard to strive for it's disheartening.  Do I hope Frost takes us back?  Absolutely.  Do I think he will?  Honestly I am not sure.  I thought Frank would after letting go of Bohl.  I thought Pelini would.....I thought MAYBE if Cally hadn't brought Coz.....NEVER thought Riley would do anything and here we sit.  Another losing season.  With more talent than every team we lost to save OSU.  

I know it took TO 25 years to win a NC....we lost 7 straight bowl games.  People were calling for his head, calling for McBrides  etc...I'm not expecting a NC.  I was just expecting relevance. I am just tempering my expectations moving forward...But that's just me.

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

With more talent than every team we lost to save OSU.

For all this talent we allegedly have, we haven't been putting many guys in the league the past 5-10 years compared to teams we lost to.

So I can't say as I blame Frost for wanting to upgrade talent.....and I think what Frost is doing on the recruiting trail is reason for future optimism.

• Plus1 1

This would be tough, I can see why he would want to leave but at the same time, staying as a Husker (and then staying in Nebraska if he wanted to stay) means he is pretty much set for life with almost any career path.  

I am sure they still have a coach on staff or person on staff that makes "those calls", like Turner Gill used to do...

"Hi there, can I speak to the President of _____________, it is Turner Gill...Hi there Bob, got a great kid here that would love to work for you, he just finished up his playing days with us...what's that...yeah, I think starting him off at 90,000 a year would be perfect"

32 minutes ago, TheSker said:

For all this talent we allegedly have, we haven't been putting many guys in the league the past 5-10 years compared to teams we lost to.

So I can't say as I blame Frost for wanting to upgrade talent.....and I think what Frost is doing on the recruiting trail is reason for future optimism.

I think the "talent" has been here.  Development/lack of effort has hurt a lot.

I do think he is recruiting the pieces.  I just wish he did better with what he has as opposed to what he wants.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Minnesota was left in a much, much, much, much better position than we were when PJ took it over. 

Their recruiting classes averaged 55 the three seasons prior to his arrival. 
Funny how everyone uses this excuse. Heard the same thing when Riley took over. 

• Plus1 3