JD Spielman rumors

Red Five

33 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Their recruiting classes averaged 55 the three seasons prior to his arrival. 
Funny how everyone uses this excuse. Heard the same thing when Riley took over. 

I don't think it's about the recruiting classes it's about a whole team quitting on it's previous coach and not buying in to the culture. It's not that difficult to understand.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

I don't think it's about the recruiting classes it's about a whole team quitting on it's previous coach and not buying in to the culture. It's not that difficult to understand.

And that’s why I said Mike Riley. Supposedly everyone didn’t buy in to him. I understand loud and clear. It probably happens to most new coaches. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Apparently what he actually doesn't want to do is perimeter blocking.

That's been blown way out of proportion. Every clip in that article other than the first one shows one of the other receivers doing the same thing - even (gasp!) Kade Warner. It's a bad look on the first one, but he's trying to not get a block in the back call. Should've been more aware and tried to pick off the next guy, but it was a bad block more than a lack of effort. Next one he and Warner are stalk blocking, neither get to their guy and are both jogging. The bubble screen is as much on Warner for getting blown up. Final clip neither he nor Williams really get their blocks, and again you don't want to get them in the back.

His perimeter blocking could absolutely improve, but this is grabbing a few clips and insisting on a specific narrative. If we're picking 4 plays from Iowa to decide whether guys are giving enough effort, I bet we can find 4 like that for any given player. I'm not saying he doesn't need to work on anything but I've never heard anyone actually close to the program question his effort.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

That's been blown way out of proportion. Every clip in that article other than the first one shows one of the other receivers doing the same thing - even (gasp!) Kade Warner. It's a bad look on the first one, but he's trying to not get a block in the back call. Should've been more aware and tried to pick off the next guy, but it was a bad block more than a lack of effort. Next one he and Warner are stalk blocking, neither get to their guy and are both jogging. The bubble screen is as much on Warner for getting blown up. Final clip neither he nor Williams really get their blocks, and again you don't want to get them in the back.

His perimeter blocking could absolutely improve, but this is grabbing a few clips and insisting on a specific narrative. If we're picking 4 plays from Iowa to decide whether guys are giving enough effort, I bet we can find 4 like that for any given player. I'm not saying he doesn't need to work on anything but I've never heard anyone actually close to the program question his effort.

The "other guys aren't doing it either" doesn't really help our perimeter blocking issue.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

The "other guys aren't doing it either" doesn't really help our perimeter blocking issue.

No, but I don't like the "JD is our perimeter blocking issue" narrative either. He's part of it, as are the other guys. Singling him out like the article seems like trying to come up with reasons it would be ok if he left. Which, for the record, I still haven't seen any real evidence for. Obviously checking your draft stock is smart, but the transfer to Minnesota is just wishful thinking from a few of their fans.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Husker in WI said:

No, but I don't like the "JD is our perimeter blocking issue" narrative either. He's part of it, as are the other guys. Singling him out like the article seems like trying to come up with reasons it would be ok if he left. Which, for the record, I still haven't seen any real evidence for. Obviously checking your draft stock is smart, but the transfer to Minnesota is just wishful thinking from a few of their fans.

Well, this thread is specifically about JD, so that might be why he is being singled out here......

2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Well, this thread is specifically about JD, so that might be why he is being singled out here......

Yeah, that's true. But as many people have pointed out, he's one of the most prolific receivers in Nebraska history, and assuming he comes back he'll stand alone in that regard by quite a ways. Weird how a thread about a random tweet by a Minny fan asking him to transfer turns into "well he's bad at perimeter blocking."

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, that's true. But as many people have pointed out, he's one of the most prolific receivers in Nebraska history, and assuming he comes back he'll stand alone in that regard by quite a ways. Weird how a thread about a random tweet by a Minny fan asking him to transfer turns into "well he's bad at perimeter blocking."

I think the point is that might be one reason why he might be looking to leave.  Maybe he doesn't want to/feel like he should have to do that and, if the coaches are on him for it and possibly referencing him being someone who's not completely bought in, may be playing a role in why he's considering leaving.

FWIW, Callahan thinks it's pretty up-in-the-air as to whether he leaves or not.  His view is that this has come up to some extent for the last couple years.  So this really isn't anything new.

HOL guys don't think Domann is looking to leave, fwiw.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think the point is that might be one reason why he might be looking to leave.  Maybe he doesn't want to/feel like he should have to do that and, if the coaches are on him for it and possibly referencing him being someone who's not completely bought in, may be playing a role in why he's considering leaving.

FWIW, Callahan thinks it's pretty up-in-the-air as to whether he leaves or not.  His view is that this has come up to some extent for the last couple years.  So this really isn't anything new.

HOL guys don't think Domann is looking to leave, fwiw.

I haven't bought those rumors one bit.  I don't get why he would be wanting to leave.  The guy is on the field as much as any other defender.

Just now, Mavric said:

He doesn't think Domann is looking to leave, fwiw.

Fair enough, makes more sense than I initially thought. I always assumed the past rumors were just because he's quiet, but I'm really not connected so if there was legitimacy to those that would make this more believable. Good to hear on Domann, he was a little up and down this year but we have no one else like him on this defense.

2 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

Wasn't it Minny that had half the team literally quit or threaten to quit because one of their players got suspended over some allegation?  Here it is:  https://www.cnn.com/2016/12/16/us/minnesota-gophers-football-boycott/index.html   

25 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The reason the post on perimeter blocking stood out to me is because it's been identified as a team wide issue.

Warner had been praised for his a little bit as has Hickman.

But Frost glowed about Stanley Morgan.....and this bit on JD made me think that's a reason why JD hasn't received that kind of praise from the staff.

From my perspective it looks like a valid criticism.  And again, it's obviously a team wide issue right now that the staff is trying diligently to fix.

I applaud the staff for that.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Wasn't it Minny that had half the team literally quit or threaten to quit because one of their players got suspended over some allegation?  Here it is:  https://www.cnn.com/2016/12/16/us/minnesota-gophers-football-boycott/index.html   

Yeah but how many sprinkles did that coach allow them to put on their post game ice cream?

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, lo country said:

PJ's record.  Granted it is only 2 schools, but he turned two programs around.  Since he left, Western Michigan is pretty average again.....Took over an average Gophers and have them playing well in year 3....Also in defense of Frost, it is 7 seasons vs 4 for Frost....I hope Frost rights the ship, but I do like PJ's more "inclusive" mentality of "row the boat" vs "we need better athletes"....That's just me.  I've had a bosses that have discounted "current" employees and a desire to get "new guys in".....Doesn't really work well IMHO.  Even worse when "your guy" at QB has struggled and you say he "needs more help".  A true statement, but one better left unsaid IMHO.  

Year School G W L T Pct SRS SOS AP Pre AP High AP Post Bowl Notes
2013 Western Michigan 12 1 11 0 .083 -19.16 -4.33          
2014 Western Michigan 13 8 5 0 .615 -1.79 -7.79       Famous Idaho Potato Bowl-L  
2015 Western Michigan 13 8 5 0 .615 4.77 -0.08       Popeyes Bahamas Bowl-W  
2016 Western Michigan 14 13 1 0 .929 12.03 -4.61   12 15 Cotton Bowl-L  
2017 Minnesota 12 5 7 0 .417 3.36 4.78          
2018 Minnesota 13 7 6 0 .538 5.28 4.05       Quick Lane Bowl-W  
2019 Minnesota 12 10 2 0 .833 11.37 1.54   7    

To add that we are now comparing ourselves to Minnesota as a barometer of success should tell us all we need to know about where NU is......

I'll also contend PJ is committed to winning above all else. It's the same mentality you see in Urban Meyer, Dabo and Saban - almost to a fault in most cases. QB's sucked in year one, we're giving someone else a chance. Defense not cutting it in year 2  - see you later DC. No one player or coach is above winning in that program.

I will say if Frost is truly committed to winning above maybe hurting a players feelings or putting a coach out of a job - we will see a couple of changes. Bring in as many LBs as possible and open all 4 of those jobs, that was the worst unit on the team (I actually think he is doing this), make it a completely open QB completion this season and play the guy that gives you the best chance to win, make a change with who coaches special teams - end of story.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1