2021 Husker Football Schedule

Mavric

On 3/9/2021 at 1:50 PM, Dr. Strangelove said:

Anything between 3-9 and 6-6 is possible with that schedule. I'll predict 5-7.

If we have an SP+ ranking of 25 or better, does the record really matter?  In fact, bowls should tie their invitations to SP+ rankings.  While my comments are dripping with sarcasm, it illustrates how far we have fallen as a program.

I think 5-7 is a great season right now.  However, I think a 5-7 season means that Year 5 is make or break for Coach Frost.  We should all prepare to wish him well with future endeavors should this be the record this season.

On 2/6/2021 at 3:18 PM, Mavric said:

Do we deserve more than 1 home game in September based on our recent on-field performance?  Face-it, we have become the Big Ten equivalent of UAB.  No name non-conference opponent should need to visit Lincoln until we have a measure of success again.  If Florida State built their program in the 70's and 80's with this approach (traveling to elite programs), so should we.  

We entered this league to compete against the upper echelon.  6 games against OSU in 6 years may seem daunting, but so too were 6 games in 6 years against OU in the 1980's.

OSU schedules Nebraska every season for two reasons;  1.) NU still represents an attractive brand, albeit one they can use as a tune up for real competition in the Big Ten East and 2.) OSU is working to prevent a budding rivalry between Michigan and NU.  Despite beating Michigan for nearly a decade straight, OSU still harbors a major inferiority complex.  The last thing they want is an interloper in NU to start a budding rivalry with Michigan.  "The Game" must be protected at all costs.

2 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

2.) OSU is working to prevent a budding rivalry between Michigan and NU.  Despite beating Michigan for nearly a decade straight, OSU still harbors a major inferiority complex.  The last thing they want is an interloper in NU to start a budding rivalry with Michigan.  "The Game" must be protected at all costs.

I suspect sarcasm in this post, but when the leaders and legends existed, I thought this might be possible.

• 5 weeks later...

Every single game looks winnable to me.  Sounds crazy, I know.  I'll see laughing emojis.  :lol:   But we're seeing reports by biased and unbiased people of a team-wide change in attitude.  And that is what changes things drastically.  To speak knowledgeably about it we'd have to closely look at each opponent and the man-to-man match ups all around.  But this is about a feeling of mission coming through, which we last saw long ago.  LONG ago. 

~ hagg

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

I'd think that a good coach would be telling the team that very thing.  Meanwhile, it is still not a given that every game on the '21 schedule will be played.  (Sadly) it could be said that that increases our chances.

20 hours ago, hagg said:

Every single game looks winnable to me. 

I think the athleticism on the team has increased and we are closer to the type of players Frost has been wanting.  Now, if they can stop making the stupid mistakes of penalties and turnovers, I think every game on the schedule is MORE winnable than it was say two years ago.  

Like has been said though, the early games are going to me key.  Can the team gain confidence in the early games so that when they do make a mistake like a penalty on offense, they don't going into a shell and stall the drive?  Can they over come it and continue the drive?

• Plus1 2
On 4/26/2021 at 8:01 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I think the athleticism on the team has increased and we are closer to the type of players Frost has been wanting.  Now, if they can stop making the stupid mistakes of penalties and turnovers, I think every game on the schedule is MORE winnable than it was say two years ago.  

Like has been said though, the early games are going to me key.  Can the team gain confidence in the early games so that when they do make a mistake like a penalty on offense, they don't going into a shell and stall the drive?  Can they over come it and continue the drive?

Welp, that about the early games.  I am thinking that the team attitude all around MAY be strong enough to overcome setbacks.  Setbacks happen in every game..as plays don't work as chalked, passes get deflected, etc.  The strength of the mission feeling has to overcome that play to play and then game to game.  A loss should get people good and p.oed, not slinking down to that Riley attitude of "doing our best..oh well there's always next week."  Is it idealism to see them changing so much this year that they can not just learn from setbacks but be team-wide motivated by them?  I guess so.

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric unpinned this topic