2021 Husker Football Schedule

Mavric

• 2 weeks later...

@skers83  Oklahoma. 

We have a bye week after Minnesota, a bye week before Wisconsin.  There is no reason the Huskers can't be 8-1 going into the Ohio State game.  They don't even need to play perfect to do that. Just play at a high level, and with all the experience they have, and all the tough dudes on defense, and all the skill players on offense, it's right there for the taking.

Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa will determine if Huskers go 8-4, 9-3, 10-2. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
7 hours ago, admo said:

@skers83  Oklahoma. 

We have a bye week after Minnesota, a bye week before Wisconsin.  There is no reason the Huskers can't be 8-1 going into the Ohio State game.  They don't even need to play perfect to do that. Just play at a high level, and with all the experience they have, and all the tough dudes on defense, and all the skill players on offense, it's right there for the taking.

Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa will determine if Huskers go 8-4, 9-3, 10-2. 

Ya. I figured you were guessing Oklahoma. I was hoping for 9-0. 

• Oh Yeah! 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Even Illini fans are a bit caught off guard with how little talk there is coming from Illini fans about this game.  Right now they are also thinking the corners of the stadium will be blocked off because of poor ticket sales.  They are thinking 30,000 fans at the game but are hoping that students will come out in big numbers.

The good news, something like 55% of Brandon Peters completions went to a WR that is no longer on the team and something like 75% of his TD passes went to that guy as well.

Trying to decide what the over/under for wins is for this team. It’s about time to start betting. I’m considering betting heavy against NU verse Illinois. 

Is this the year that NUs defense gets to the Qb? The Oline blocks and quits watching? Martinez improved? TO seemed to think they’d be better. Any thoughts? 

1 hour ago, KCBuc said:

Trying to decide what the over/under for wins is for this team. It’s about time to start betting. I’m considering betting heavy against NU verse Illinois. 

Is this the year that NUs defense gets to the Qb? The Oline blocks and quits watching? Martinez improved? TO seemed to think they’d be better. Any thoughts? 

The defense still won't rush the passer well I suspect, which is why I think they still don't become top 3rd in the league.  The run defense will be good again but teams will move the ball and keep drives alive on 3rd downs.

The O line was better last year, and will be better again this year, but that won't matter much if a RB doesn't take advantage of it. That and WR play determines if Martinez appears improved, it's largely on the supporting cast. We cannot run the QB for the majority of yardage and expect to br successful.

Special teams is absolutely critical.  Field position is way more important than folks think, and is a prime reason for all these close games losses.  If that doesn't improve don't expect a giant win total improvement.

Over/under at 6 and it hinges on the above whether they go +/- 2 games from that number.  Margin is thin and the schedule is tough, especially in November. Starting out hot is a must, the Illinois game is the biggest of the season and of Frost's entire tenure to date. Have to be 3-0 heading to Norman for bowl hopes and at least 4-2 after NW.  If the start is worse than 4-2, getting 3+ more wins from Michigan/Minny/Purdue/OSU/Wisky/Iowa will be difficult to say the least with no momentum and the noise growing from another slow start. 

• Plus1 1

Update from an Illini poster 

The Illini Pella Sports Talk podcast is a terrific source of Illini information. I just found out that I can add it to my podcast app, so I'm very excited.

They talked to the Nebraska play by play announcer and he was saying that they brought in some really good wide receivers in the off-season. That makes me a little bit worried about this game, especially if it's going to be a warm day. I'm not sure if Illinois has the depth to maintain coverage.

Their D line is supposed to be a strength. It will be a good test for Illinois's O line.

I can't wait for the season to start!

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at Sagarin after week 0:

@Illinois - 77

Fordham - 216

Buffalo - 70

@Oklahoma - 2

@Michigan State - 99

Northwestern - 33

Michigan - 36

@Minnesota - 41

Purdue - 75

Ohio State - 3

@Wisconsin - 9

Iowa - 17

Their system currently has us ranked #108. It’s obviously a really tough schedule but there’s still a chance to turn the season around. Have to take care of the next two weeks then find a way to go 3-2 in between Oklahoma and Ohio State. Could give us a chance to be fighting for bowl eligibility at home the last week of the season. It could also go downhill real fast but trying to stay positive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mavric unpinned this topic