2023 Husker Football Schedule

Mavric

7 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Well looks like I'm gonna have to hate the Cowboys more than usual this weekend.  Bear down.  

I hear ya, and I will too.  My team is Bears like you, but also Dolphins AFC. 

Cowboys my 3rd team because, they grew on me and, well it's Cowboy talk 24/7 here 365 days a year.  Which is insane... but Probably like the Husker football talk in Nebraska?

18 hours ago, admo said:

More than half of those teams were pretty lame when we joined.  Some were average.  A few teams were kinda good  I mean, Even Ohio State went 6-7 the year after we joined.  Imagine that!.  Harbough wasn't around, nor PJ Fleck or Franklin at Penn State.  It was a super easy conference, totally.  

I wouldn’t say super easy given the way things were structured, but we definitely were set to succeed if Eichorst & Harvey stayed out of the way. 

It wasn’t quite a golden road though. We faced the conference’s best teams right away, even if they were a step down from where they were today. I mean hell we’ve played Indiana four times since we joined and Ohio State eight times in the same period. Nearly inverse of Iowa during the same period. 

On 10/26/2022 at 7:12 PM, Savage Husker said:

Should cancel either N Illinois or La Tech and play a week zero game against a powder puff. Back-to-back on the road vs conference foe and non-con foe was a scheduling error :( oh well. 

That's a brutal non-conf schedule no doubt. /s

A 1-6 Pac 12 team followed by a 2-6 Missouri Valley team followed by a 2-5 C-USA team. No matter who the new coach we can't expect to go better than 1-3 at best. It would be even better to cancel CU and replace with an FCS team since a P5 team is probably a mountain too high. Maybe we could get a waver to play 3 FCS teams. Or better yet, just join the Missouri Valley Conference. /s

I never thought I'd see the day when we would cower like little school girls when with a schedule consisting of probably the worst P5 team in the country and 2 bottom feeder FCS teams from in weak conferences.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
7 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

That's a brutal non-conf schedule no doubt. /s

A 1-6 Pac 12 team followed by a 2-6 Missouri Valley team followed by a 2-5 C-USA team. No matter who the new coach we can't expect to go better than 1-3 at best. It would be even better to cancel CU and replace with an FCS team since a P5 team is probably a mountain too high. Maybe we could get a waver to play 3 FCS teams. Or better yet, just join the Missouri Valley Conference. /s

I never thought I'd see the day when we would cower like little school girls when with a schedule consisting of probably the worst P5 team in the country and 2 bottom feeder FCS teams from in weak conferences.

How does NU play against itself? 

your disingenuous attempt is creative. Can only imagine the amount of time you wasted misinterpreting someone’s opinion with baseless assumptions. Good work, kid. 

Edit, to add: The SEC is ridiculed, yet doesn’t care and schedules paddy cakes late in the year, which helps them into rivalry and championship week. Cower is your word. Prepare is mine.  I believe you and I would agree that “any time, any place” is what it comes down to, but I believe it’s tougher to travel back-to-back, out of the gate to two locations you’ve recently lost in pretty, pretty, preeeetty bad ways.

Wouldn’t hurt to have a paddy cake game to work out the kinks with a new coach. That’s all. 

• Mavric pinned this topic

Doesn't help that we start with a conference game. We don't get a chance to work out any bugs and plug gaps before the live shots are fired. Minnesota will also have some turnover (Ibrahim who has been their workhorse, Morgan gone at QB, but Athan has taken the reigns and appears to be decent, Spann-Ford TE and Autumn-Bell WR will finally leak out the rest of the talent that made them good in 2019), but I don't expect them to fall off a cliff. Colorado, La Tech, and N Illinois are all pretty sad this year that should help us get some grip.

Michigan, Michigan St., Maryland isn't the worst cross division pull. Mel Tucker has pulled a lot of flack after losing Kenneth Walker and their team seems to be in disarray. Maryland will be better and with Taulia back, they probably are a better team than us. Michigan's roster this year was preseason being called better even after losing Hutchinson and they delivered. Even if Corum leaves we aren't beating them.

Being 3-2 and likely having our weakness already exposed doesn't put much faith into going to Illinois before getting the bye week to regroup. I would expect a 3-3 or if we are lucky 4-2 group heading into the gut of our schedule to determine whether we make a bowl game year one under Rhule. Biggest questions are who sticks around for Rhule, who can be brought in from other schools, and who leaves with the coaching staff being let go now. Seeing if Thompson can give it another go will be the first big piece and finding out if Rhule can squeeze some juice out of some of the o-line pieces we thought we had recruiting wise that haven't necessarily panned out on the field.

Our defense was young and if he continues his track record at other programs with a different defensive coordinator we could grab the couple of games needed to make a bowl. If we lose the house, it probably is another rough year and a wait and see for year 2.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

What is a realistic expectation for the record next year? 

I think fans should brace themselves for 4-8 or 5-7. This roster needs a lot of turnover and a lot of work. But I do think a bowl game is possible, probably slightly over achieving if they make it to one. 

We *should* have 4 wins built into the schedule as we play 4 teams that finished the year 110th or worse in SP+ (out of 130).

Colorado 124th in SP+

No Illinois 123th in SP+

La Tech 121th in SP+

Northwestern 110th in SP+

FYI, we finished 71st.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric unpinned this topic