2023 Husker Football Schedule

Mavric

6 minutes ago, jsneb83 said:

Doesn't Minnesota lose quite a bit of production this year? Next year could be a rebuilding year for them, which should benefit Nebraska a little.

They do, but they'll still be ahead of us because the system has been in place. Not saying we can't win, but they will be favored and will likely win. Unfortunate for us that Morgan got hurt this year to be honest, I don't think Fleck would willingly sit him and it's given the backup some experience. They'll lose Morgan, Ibrahim, and their best lineman along with likely their TE and LBs. But they'll return a couple big guys, decent RBs are easy to find, and the QB has more mobility. I don't expect them to contend to win the West, but neither will we.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

They do, but they'll still be ahead of us because the system has been in place. Not saying we can't win, but they will be favored and will likely win. Unfortunate for us that Morgan got hurt this year to be honest, I don't think Fleck would willingly sit him and it's given the backup some experience. They'll lose Morgan, Ibrahim, and their best lineman along with likely their TE and LBs. But they'll return a couple big guys, decent RBs are easy to find, and the QB has more mobility. I don't expect them to contend to win the West, but neither will we.

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying that it might actually be better that we play them to start the season rather than at the end.

• Plus1 1

On 12/1/2022 at 10:49 PM, chamrocck said:

That @ Minnesota game right out the gate is a tough draw. They’ve been at a steady rebuild and identity for awhile. I would love to win that game but we likely get grinded down. 

Wish the BIG would quit hamstringing us with these games til we get on our feet as a program again. 

• Plus1 1
On 11/28/2022 at 7:07 PM, RedDenver said:

Just looking at our roster, I think we'll manage 2 wins next year. If Rhule can do some amazing development of the lines in a single off-season, then 4-6 wins. But given that Rhule had 2 wins in his first year at Temple and 1 win in his first year at Baylor, I'm expecting 1-3 wins.

Of course anything is possible so we could suddenly win 7+, but I think that's extremely unlikely. I think Rhule will rebuild the program, but we won't see tangible results until year 2 or 3.

We play a weak noncon, the BIG West isn't that good, plus we get MSU and Mary out of the east. With the noncon and NW that's four bad teams then you have several fairly average ones. Six wins is doable without vast improvement, we have been a very competitive team, we just haven't finished games well. 

As far as Rhule's previous stints go they weren't in the NIL and transfer-portal era. A roster turnaround can be pulled-off much more easily now with what we have to offer. This is a hell of a lot different than Rhule starting at Baylor with 45 schollie players in the wake of the rape scandal. Plus I'd hope Rhule recognizes he can't afford to just sacrifice year-one. NIL and the transfer portal are a double-edged blade. Players now bounce penalty-free and the better ones will get outside NIL offers while still on your team. Meanwhile our fans won't be so free with that NIL money to buy and keep players if they're pissed-off we went 2-10. It's just a different game now, keeping your players and fans bought-in is important. Plus this is a team with a damaged psyche that expects to blow games, more losing means feeding the monkey on their back. I can also see Rhule putting more into winning some games now because this team really needs that boost. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, Danimal said:

We play a weak noncon, the BIG West isn't that good, plus we get MSU and Mary out of the east. With the noncon and NW that's four bad teams then you have several fairly average ones. Six wins is doable without vast improvement, we have been a very competitive team, we just haven't finished games well. 

Those teams are just as likely to get better as we are. Actually I think those teams are more likely to improve than we are given the turmoil in the Husker program. It's possible we do better, but I think next season is 1-2 wins with the year after when we'll see if Rhule can rebuild the program or not. Although I'd be super happy with more wins of course.

3 hours ago, Danimal said:

As far as Rhule's previous stints go they weren't in the NIL and transfer-portal era. A roster turnaround can be pulled-off much more easily now with what we have to offer. This is a hell of a lot different than Rhule starting at Baylor with 45 schollie players in the wake of the rape scandal. Plus I'd hope Rhule recognizes he can't afford to just sacrifice year-one. NIL and the transfer portal are a double-edged blade. Players now bounce penalty-free and the better ones will get outside NIL offers while still on your team. Meanwhile our fans won't be so free with that NIL money to buy and keep players if they're pissed-off we went 2-10. It's just a different game now, keeping your players and fans bought-in is important. Plus this is a team with a damaged psyche that expects to blow games, more losing means feeding the monkey on their back. I can also see Rhule putting more into winning some games now because this team really needs that boost. 

We're just as likely to lose players as gain them, especially the more talented have more options and the older players may want to go somewhere more successfully instead of trying to rebuild. Plus the players we gain still need time to develop and gel as a team. Fans can be as pissed about the record as they want, but Rhule - or any coach - can't just magically wave a wand and make everything better. Even if we got the right coach, it's going to take time.

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Why would they???? Alot of University's use Nebraska as motivation to get there own fans and players excited for games. I get it when we kicked their a**** and were dominating we showed no mercy now we need to get back to being the ruthless aggressor's.

Because that's what happened last time.  

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Why would they???? Alot of University's use Nebraska as motivation to get there own fans and players excited for games. I get it when we kicked their a**** and were dominating we showed no mercy now we need to get back to being the ruthless aggressor's.

Are you new to Husker football? Lots of schools ask their fans not to sell their tickets to Nebraska fans and some even made rules to make it harder for their own fans to sell those tickets. It's been happening for decades.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Are you new to Husker football? Lots of schools ask their fans not to sell their tickets to Nebraska fans and some even made rules to make it harder for their own fans to sell those tickets. It's been happening for decades.

I know its bc Nebraska fans travel. I'm saying is that schools use Nebraska as a way to get their fans excited for the so call "big game" even though Nebraska hasn't been good for 8 years now.  Colorado is trying to use Nebraska as a big game when really both teams aren't good.

4 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I know its bc Nebraska fans travel. I'm saying is that schools use Nebraska as a way to get their fans excited for the so call "big game" even though Nebraska hasn't been good for 8 years now.  Colorado is trying to use Nebraska as a big game when really both teams aren't good.

Gotcha. I misunderstood.

• Mavric unpinned this topic