2023 Husker Football Schedule

Mavric

44 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Sorry I mistyped. Its supposed to be why wouldn't they lmao in a sarcastic way not the other way around.

It’s all good. I’ve lived within an hour of Folsom field since the mid 80s. Think I’ve been to every Husker game there except for the last game. We’ve always had that place at least 30% full of Red. It’s just what happens.

21 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Those teams are just as likely to get better as we are. Actually I think those teams are more likely to improve than we are given the turmoil in the Husker program. It's possible we do better, but I think next season is 1-2 wins with the year after when we'll see if Rhule can rebuild the program or not. Although I'd be super happy with more wins of course.

We're just as likely to lose players as gain them, especially the more talented have more options and the older players may want to go somewhere more successfully instead of trying to rebuild. Plus the players we gain still need time to develop and gel as a team. Fans can be as pissed about the record as they want, but Rhule - or any coach - can't just magically wave a wand and make everything better. Even if we got the right coach, it's going to take time.

If this staff is worth a damn they'll be able to attract players. We were able to do it this year despite Frost losing for four seasons and going into this one obviously on the hot-seat. You aren't getting my point about year-one. Unlike when Rhule took over Baylor he not only has more ability to win now but also has motivation to win-now rather than go into "develop and play for the future" mode. He needs to keep the players bought-in so they stay and fans bought-in so they keep the coffers full. Plus the team needs wins to get their belief and confidence up. I never implied he can wave a wand and make everything better but what he can do is bring experienced players and plug them in rather than throw young guys to the wolves as seen in Baylor year-one. I'm not saying we can be good, I'm saying we can achieve mediocrity. 

5 hours ago, Danimal said:

If this staff is worth a damn they'll be able to attract players. We were able to do it this year despite Frost losing for four seasons and going into this one obviously on the hot-seat. You aren't getting my point about year-one. Unlike when Rhule took over Baylor he not only has more ability to win now but also has motivation to win-now rather than go into "develop and play for the future" mode. He needs to keep the players bought-in so they stay and fans bought-in so they keep the coffers full. Plus the team needs wins to get their belief and confidence up. I never implied he can wave a wand and make everything better but what he can do is bring experienced players and plug them in rather than throw young guys to the wolves as seen in Baylor year-one. I'm not saying we can be good, I'm saying we can achieve mediocrity. 

I get what you're saying. I just disagree. If Rhule is smart, and I think he is, he won't try to win a few more games next year at the cost of not putting in the foundation of the rebuild. Getting a whole bunch of experienced players that still have to gel as a team and then most move on after one season is not a recipe for sustained success IMO, and is part of why we are where we are now.

I also don't think we can get enough good and experienced players on both lines AND have them gel in a single off season to win more than a handful of games next year anyway. I'm WAY more excited about rebuilding back to yearly respectability in 2-3 years than winning 5 games instead of 2 next season.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I get what you're saying. I just disagree. If Rhule is smart, and I think he is, he won't try to win a few more games next year at the cost of not putting in the foundation of the rebuild. Getting a whole bunch of experienced players that still have to gel as a team and then most move on after one season is not a recipe for sustained success IMO, and is part of why we are where we are now.

I also don't think we can get enough good and experienced players on both lines AND have them gel in a single off season to win more than a handful of games next year anyway. I'm WAY more excited about rebuilding back to yearly respectability in 2-3 years than winning 5 games instead of 2 next season.

That is a good point, and Exhibit A is Michigan State in 2021 versus this year. That is all folks talk about with the transfer portal and flipping a roster quickly.

• TBH 1

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I mean, sure, that'd be ideal. But the right hire might need more than one off-season to fix this mess.

I’d like to think that we can win a few more games, get bowl eligible AND get a start on rebuilding for more future success. I would agree that the best solution is not selling your soul in the transfer portal for short term success. But we should be able to flip some of those one score losses into the W column without getting too radical. Maybe I’m dreaming?

11 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I mean, sure, that'd be ideal. But the right hire might need more than one off-season to fix this mess.

I don't agree that it would be ideal or signify that anything has been fixed.  It should just be the minimum if the right hire was made.   I would hope that being slightly better than Frost (and Fickel and Sanders for that matter) isn't too much to ask.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2
3 hours ago, The Dude said:

I don't agree that it would be ideal or signify that anything has been fixed.  It should just be the minimum if the right hire was made.   I would hope that being slightly better than Frost (and Fickel and Sanders for that matter) isn't too much to ask.

You might be in for big disappointment if you are expecting a bowl appearance next year. Rhule's combined record for the first years at Temple & Baylor was 3-21. The following years were 44-22. Since these were both ground up rebuilds similar to what NU is going to need I would expect somewhat similar results.

• Plus1 3
36 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

You might be in for big disappointment if you are expecting a bowl appearance next year. Rhule's combined record for the first years at Temple & Baylor was 3-21. The following years were 44-22. Since these were both ground up rebuilds similar to what NU is going to need I would expect somewhat similar results.

I was told the drop-off at Baylor was due to only having 45 scholarship players, which is fair enough, and isn't remotely similar to what he's dealing with here.  Doing slightly better than the worst coach in school history isn't an unreasonable expectation. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
4 hours ago, The Dude said:

But Rhule is going to have to do that with mostly players Frost recruited and developed. And the Huskers haven't even been close to bowl eligible in years. IMO it's a big improvement just to get to 4 wins let alone 6. Fickell and Sanders are in different situations although CU is similarly bad.

Rhule could very well be better than all 3 of those coaches and have a worse record next year.

• Haha 1
  • Mavric unpinned this topic