Who Stole The Huskers?

Benjamin Franklin once said, “In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.” Benny was right but he left out one important thing that’s also certain (since it didn’t exist yet)...

2019 Mr. Franklin: “In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes, and Nebraska fans supporting their Cornhuskers”.

Husker fans are the unshakable foundation of this program. Everything else is changing and moving parts. That’s how the Huskers lost their way.

The long offseason begins. Lots of cold months yet to endure. Few Husker football highlights from 2019 to warm the soul. Lots of questions to ask and things to wonder about. Futures are hanging in the balance.

Husker fans watched another powerhouse season from Ohio State and another solid one from Wisconsin. Can’t help but see a little bit of the old Huskers in both of those teams if you know where to look. Ohio dominates opponents like the old Huskers once did, and Wisconsin looks like a Husker cousin in the way they approach the game.

Minnesota is getting better. So is Indiana. Iowa always hangs around. Illinois is clawing their way up to being respectable. Michigan resembles the current Huskers having lots of questions for the offseason and lots of grumbling. Northwestern won’t be this bad next year. Pennsylvania State gets their share of top players and lurks just below the level of the best.

The Huskers face a greater challenge today than they did before. They didn’t have to face so many quality conference programs in the Big 8/12 days. Huskers have yet to settle in and establish themselves since they changed addresses.

So who stole the Huskers? Father Time. Times changed, and the Huskers haven’t handled the time change very well. But in that, is also the answer. Things won’t stay like they are right now forever, either. Somehow, things will turn around. Too many people want it to happen. Huskers are due for something good to happen. Maybe knowing that will make this offseason just a little less cold.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Tried to find the article.  Came out a few years ago.  Talked about fallen programs went back to their roots to get good again.  I figure NU needs to do some soul searching.  What will work on the plains in November?  What kids can we reliably get year in and year out?  What is our identity?  I'm not saying go back counter/trap and option (I'd like that.  A lot) But get back to being the most physical.  Being fundamentally sound in the basics ie tackle, catch, block....Follow McBrides philosophy on D.  If they couldn't fly we didn't look at them.  Speed, tackling and then size.....Play form whistle to whistle and let teams know that even if the win, they didn't beat us.....

Frost came from and grew up with this culture.  Cut the BS and instill it.  Don't wait for the kids to "develop it".  Teach it.  Set the expectations.  Establish what you want.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

On 12/1/2019 at 6:23 PM, Roundball Shaman said:

Benjamin Franklin once said, “In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.” Benny was right but he left out one important thing that’s also certain (since it didn’t exist yet)...

2019 Mr. Franklin: “In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes, and Nebraska fans supporting their Cornhuskers”.

Husker fans are the unshakable foundation of this program. Everything else is changing and moving parts. That’s how the Huskers lost their way.

The long offseason begins. Lots of cold months yet to endure. Few Husker football highlights from 2019 to warm the soul. Lots of questions to ask and things to wonder about. Futures are hanging in the balance.

Husker fans watched another powerhouse season from Ohio State and another solid one from Wisconsin. Can’t help but see a little bit of the old Huskers in both of those teams if you know where to look. Ohio dominates opponents like the old Huskers once did, and Wisconsin looks like a Husker cousin in the way they approach the game.

Minnesota is getting better. So is Indiana. Iowa always hangs around. Illinois is clawing their way up to being respectable. Michigan resembles the current Huskers having lots of questions for the offseason and lots of grumbling. Northwestern won’t be this bad next year. Pennsylvania State gets their share of top players and lurks just below the level of the best.

The Huskers face a greater challenge today than they did before. They didn’t have to face so many quality conference programs in the Big 8/12 days. Huskers have yet to settle in and establish themselves since they changed addresses.

So who stole the Huskers? Father Time. Times changed, and the Huskers haven’t handled the time change very well. But in that, is also the answer. Things won’t stay like they are right now forever, either. Somehow, things will turn around. Too many people want it to happen. Huskers are due for something good to happen. Maybe knowing that will make this offseason just a little less cold.

at least you tried the simpsons GIF

• Plus1 1

Yeah we fans are wonderful, etc.  GBR.  Meanwhile, I think Callahan "stole the Huskers" as we know the Huskers.  He came in here so arrogant as to say, "I'm changing the culture here."  It was taken as to mean away from a mostly running (option/triple option, etc) game to (drum roll, trumpets:  The West Coast Offense). 

We see what has happened.  I'll get laughed out of here, but I still believe we were fine with our ways before him.  Yes we could have gradually added more spread out offensive plays with four receivers running around down field, fine.  But we could have done without that character.  God bless him for finding a home back in the NFL.  I wish him all the best, but he messed with a good thing and we have not recovered. 

• Plus1 1

The Huskers will probably be good again at some point in the future. There is also a very good chance that we will all be dead when that happens. Someone on a Cubs Message board posted a topic like this in the 1920s, but didnt make it to see his team escape from the hold of father time 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Herbie87 said:

The Huskers will probably be good again at some point in the future. There is also a very good chance that we will all be dead when that happens. Someone on a Cubs Message board posted a topic like this in the 1920s, but didnt make it to see his team escape from the hold of father time 

I think that, in the 20s, "posting a topic" meant screaming on your front porch.

9 hours ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Yeah we fans are wonderful, etc.  GBR.  Meanwhile, I think Callahan "stole the Huskers" as we know the Huskers.  He came in here so arrogant as to say, "I'm changing the culture here."  It was taken as to mean away from a mostly running (option/triple option, etc) game to (drum roll, trumpets:  The West Coast Offense). 

We see what has happened.  I'll get laughed out of here, but I still believe we were fine with our ways before him.  Yes we could have gradually added more spread out offensive plays with four receivers running around down field, fine.  But we could have done without that character.  God bless him for finding a home back in the NFL.  I wish him all the best, but he messed with a good thing and we have not recovered. 

Did he say that or Pedersen?