Who Stole The Huskers?

9 hours ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Yeah we fans are wonderful, etc.  GBR.  Meanwhile, I think Callahan "stole the Huskers" as we know the Huskers.  He came in here so arrogant as to say, "I'm changing the culture here."  It was taken as to mean away from a mostly running (option/triple option, etc) game to (drum roll, trumpets:  The West Coast Offense). 

We see what has happened.  I'll get laughed out of here, but I still believe we were fine with our ways before him.  Yes we could have gradually added more spread out offensive plays with four receivers running around down field, fine.  But we could have done without that character.  God bless him for finding a home back in the NFL.  I wish him all the best, but he messed with a good thing and we have not recovered. 

At least we'll never have to see another swing pass ever again.

• Haha 1

On 12/1/2019 at 8:46 PM, lo country said:

Tried to find the article.  Came out a few years ago.  Talked about fallen programs went back to their roots to get good again.  I figure NU needs to do some soul searching.  What will work on the plains in November?  What kids can we reliably get year in and year out?  What is our identity?  I'm not saying go back counter/trap and option (I'd like that.  A lot) But get back to being the most physical.  Being fundamentally sound in the basics ie tackle, catch, block....Follow McBrides philosophy on D.  If they couldn't fly we didn't look at them.  Speed, tackling and then size.....Play form whistle to whistle and let teams know that even if the win, they didn't beat us.....

Frost came from and grew up with this culture.  Cut the BS and instill it.  Don't wait for the kids to "develop it".  Teach it.  Set the expectations.  Establish what you want.  

That was McBride's adopted philosophy.  It took a few years of having the Florida States of the football world torch us before T.O. had Charlie and the other coaches go to clinics, one even hosted by FL State.  Then the light went on and our defensive make up changed.  Hopefully the current Husker staff can be flexible and learn too.

On 12/4/2019 at 5:48 PM, The Dude said:

At least we'll never have to see another swing pass ever again.

We made a living on that same swing pass last yr.  what changed, blocking and accuracy on throws at times but mainly blocking.  Weren’t enough athletes on that side of the ball specifically at the end of the season.

fwiw, my opinion is many have blood on their hands for the current state of Husker football and frost is cleaning up the ills of the last 20+ yrs.  TO, all admin, and every coach after TO hold blame to some extent.