An Interesting Take on Husker Progress

It's hard to put my finger on just one issue this season. There were so many - the defense would fall apart when the offense made progress and vice versa. The kicking game was about the worst I've seen in 30 years pullin' for the Boys in Red. The losses to Colorado and Purdue were a couple of the worst in a several-year spat of bad losses, while the wins over Northern Illinois and Maryland were surprisingly 90's-ish. I don't get why we were so good in those, but so bad in the others.

Is it coaching? Scheme? Technique? Jimmies and Joes? Buy-In? Equal parts of all? I think that's the toughest part - it's hard to single out what the problem actually is that needs to be fixed. My hope is that Scott is reeling in the kids now that will turn this thing around, and we'll be seeing a lot more wins in a couple years. 

On 12/3/2019 at 11:22 AM, Jeremy said:

It's hard to put my finger on just one issue this season. There were so many - the defense would fall apart when the offense made progress and vice versa. The kicking game was about the worst I've seen in 30 years pullin' for the Boys in Red. The losses to Colorado and Purdue were a couple of the worst in a several-year spat of bad losses, while the wins over Northern Illinois and Maryland were surprisingly 90's-ish. I don't get why we were so good in those, but so bad in the others.

Is it coaching? Scheme? Technique? Jimmies and Joes? Buy-In? Equal parts of all? I think that's the toughest part - it's hard to single out what the problem actually is that needs to be fixed. My hope is that Scott is reeling in the kids now that will turn this thing around, and we'll be seeing a lot more wins in a couple years. 

I didn't read the entire thread but ill say this.  Scott's team never quit.  I gotta give Scott credit for getting his team to play hard despite the dissapointing season.  Ive been as upset as anyone with the game management, choice of plays/who is behind center.  I think Scott's best attributes have nothing to do with game management.  He connects to players, he cares about this place and his players.  I believe most guys love Frost, there will always be exceptions.  He has struggled mightily with some of his decision making on the field, but from all accounts he has the attention of the players.

After settling down from being pissed off at his Iowa game, i will admit there is a lot of good things about Frost, and im still very thankful he is our coach.  He is not perfect, not as good on the game management as we hoped for, but the core of who he is, still remains.  And thats a motivated, God-respecting man, who loves those around him and tries his best to do what he believes is right.  He also happens to be a pretty good football coach and he loves this state as much as anyone.  He coulda went to Florida and had instant success, but his heart is here in Nebraska of all places.  This is a man that has lived in California, Florida, and Oregon.  He knows full well what the country has to offer.  And having lived all over this country, Nebraska isnt the most appealing place to live unless you have a love for the simplicity of it or just love the people here.  Good people, but theres good people in Florida and Oregon too.  And ill admit, the beauty of alot of places surpasses us.  Oregon is a damn beautiful state.  So is California.  And florida has all the recruits he would need.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 3

The last 3 games made me feel a hell of a lot better about this team moving forward than 8 out of the previous 9.  But we should have beaten Iowa.  We should be going bowling for the first time since Riley's 2nd year.  We should be getting extra practices and one more game.  We should be higher in the recruiting rankings.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty damn nervous about the future after 2 seasons.  We are 27-34 since firing Bo Pelini.  That.  Is.  Bad.  Like bottom of the barrel bad.  Frost still has a TON of work to do, including his own game management issues.  His team appears to finally be buying in and giving the effort, the time to turn it around is now.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Redux said:

The last 3 games made me feel a hell of a lot better about this team moving forward than 8 out of the previous 9.  But we should have beaten Iowa.  We should be going bowling for the first time since Riley's 2nd year.  We should be getting extra practices and one more game.  We should be higher in the recruiting rankings.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty damn nervous about the future after 2 seasons.  We are 27-34 since firing Bo Pelini.  That.  Is.  Bad.  Like bottom of the barrel bad.  Frost still has a TON of work to do, including his own game management issues.  His team appears to finally be buying in and giving the effort, the time to turn it around is now.

Im right there with you.  The fact that this is Nebraska's best, last chance is the truth.  We needed a hero, we got one, but he has been somewhat defeated.  Our back is certainly against the wall, we cant deny that.  Nebraska is in the brink of being a nobody for...possibly ever.  

At the same time this is what makes me love it.  Who doesnt like a redemption story? You can react one of 2 ways: 

-Be nervous, rightly so cause its no joke we are on the brink.

-Or be excited, feel that adrenaline in your veins, cause our backs against the wall Husker Nation, it truly is, so ENJOY the challenge. 

This is what sports are about.  And i can imagine having the Future of Husker Football in Bill Callahans hands, or Mike Rikey's.  There is noone i'd rather have with the future of our program at stake, then Scott.  Kinda like Our State, Scott is flawed, he has shown his weakness.  The wolves are at the door bretheren.  (They really are , this isnt a joke).  But if there is one thing Scott has its HEART.  We were never the best state, we never will be.  But if we have the heart of the Lion of Judah we can conquer.  Fear not, for We are David, and the Lord be with us.  I hope.

• Plus1 2

14 hours ago, Redux said:

Do you think this has any correlation with them increasing the playing time of the true freshmen in the last few games?  I don't have the stats but they played more true freshmen in those last 3-4 games than they did all year while trying to preserve their redshirt.  If there is correlation, I think the future is brighter at the end of the season than it was at the start.

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

Do you think this has any correlation with them increasing the playing time of the true freshmen in the last few games?  I don't have the stats but they played more true freshmen in those last 3-4 games than they did all year while trying to preserve their redshirt.  If there is correlation, I think the future is brighter at the end of the season than it was at the start.

Interesting.  I have seen Frost say that "if the starters are not on board, then we'll replace them with guys who are," to paraphrase.  I would not doubt that several frosh stepped forward or at least put more into their practices etc to be noticed.  Speculating because, like you, I have no stats on that particular thing either.

2 hours ago, MasterPulverizer said:

I absolutely do.  I think there is a lot of hungry talent chomping at the bit ready to prove they can get it done.  Talent agonizing while watching upperclassmen half a$$ it in spots that could be theirs.  Look at Luke McCaffrey, how cool he played his last couple outings.

32 minutes ago, Redux said:

In both seasons, Chinanders Defense has improved down the final stretch of games.  I don't want to wait another 9 games in 2020 to see improvement.

If the final stretch is the second half against Iowa (ignoring the last 60 seconds), a near shut-out of an inept Maryland offense, and holding Jonathan Taylor under 400 yards......maybe. 

If you look at the second half of the season, no. Bad habits returned against better teams, and a lot of those better teams were pretty mediocre. 

49 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If the final stretch is the second half against Iowa (ignoring the last 60 seconds), a near shut-out of an inept Maryland offense, and holding Jonathan Taylor under 400 yards......maybe. 

If you look at the second half of the season, no. Bad habits returned against better teams, and a lot of those better teams were pretty mediocre. 

I'd say compared to nudging out Illinois, letting Indiana and Purdue score more than us, allowing Colorado to storm back in the 2nd half, allow 100 or so points to Minny and Ohio State.....it was an improvement.

• Fire 1