An Interesting Take on Husker Progress

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

How do those numbers compare to last year? And the year before? 33.3 ppg allowed last year 27.8 this year

Total defense we went from the 90s to the 50s

Whatever bro. You act like I'm telling you the aliens are coming tomorrow. I don't have any more facts then you I suppose but based on Frosts comments the entire time he has been here I highly doubt we see staff turnover after this season. I honestly don't care 1 way or the other it's just pretty obvious at this point in time. But like I said in my last post, if you want to live in make believe land and think Chinander is getting demoted go right ahead. It's not going to change the outcome

See, there you go, not reading again.  A CO-DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR job isn't a demotion.  It means that you collaborate with another person to call the defense and come up with a game plan.  Charlie Strong has 26 years of coaching experience under his belt, not to mention two national championship rings on his finger.  And, he also has a BCS bowl trophy in his case.

You know who else has co-defensive coordinators?  Look at a team in Columbus, Ohio. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

See, there you go, not reading again.  A CO-DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR job isn't a demotion.  It means that you collaborate with another person to call the defense and come up with a game plan.  Charlie Strong has 26 years of coaching experience under his belt, not to mention two national championship rings on his finger.  And, he also has a BCS bowl trophy in his case.

You know who else has co-defensive coordinators?  Look at a team in Columbus, Ohio. 

I don't know why I thought Strong was 4-3 but look, I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just saying it's not gonna happen. 

Also, going from defensive coordinator to co defensive coordinator is a demotion lol 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Hey @alexhortdog95 I'd love to see an example of a DC getting fired or demoted after making the defense better in year 2 of his tenure. I don't think one exists.

So, when Iowa was scoring on chunk plays of 45 yards, 55 yards, and putting the game away with two completions of 22 yards a piece....were you thinking, "man, Chinander's defense is so much more improved right now."

If you were like most Husker fans, there was a hole in your TV after the 45 yard TD.

1 minute ago, alexhortdog95 said:

So, when Iowa was scoring on chunk plays of 45 yards, 55 yards, and putting the game away with two completions of 22 yards a piece....were you thinking, "man, Chinander's defense is so much more improved right now."

If you were like most Husker fans, there was a hole in your TV after the 45 yard TD.

4 bad plays doesn't mean the defense didn't get better. In 2017 Iowa dropped 56 on us, in 2018 they scored 31 and this year we held them to 17 points on D, 7 of which the D got back. So yea I'd say we have improved. The statistics you posted say the same thing so....

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Hey @alexhortdog95 I'd love to see an example of a DC getting fired or demoted after making the defense better in year 2 of his tenure. I don't think one exists.

No, but there's an example of a head coach being fired in year 4 after in 4 years having an offense ranked:

• 48th in 2016, defense ranked 89th
  • 14th in 2017, defense ranked 95th (fired his DC in year 2 of his tenure)
  • 18th in 2018, defense ranked 52nd
  • 93rd in 2019, defense ranked 20th

Homie got fired after 4 seasons...at his ALMA MATER.  And that was after succeeding a coach who in 14 seasons had won a single conference title, played for five conference titles at this particular school, and would probably still be there if he hadn't developed cancer.

16 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

4 bad plays doesn't mean the defense didn't get better. In 2017 Iowa dropped 56 on us, in 2018 they scored 31 and this year we held them to 17 points on D, 7 of which the D got back. So yea I'd say we have improved. The statistics you posted say the same thing so....

So, lemme get this straight.....

Your metric on if a guy is improving as a coach is if the team he played the year prior didn't drop as many points on his defense?

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Enlighten us on Frosts history that shows he probably isn't a good coach? Because that isn't what I see when I look at his coaching career. I see a coach who has been a part of success everywhere he has been

There are other takes on his being on the staff of some teams who have done well.  But he has no longevity anywhere, and although it's speculative (and that's why I am not 100% sure he can't do it here), many good coaches rise where they are, not by quitting repeatedly and moving here and there.  I am of the opinion (it's an opinion that I want to shake but haven't been able to) that Scott Frost is riding his name after being one of the better QBs in college football for a few years.   And now we see his first few years here:  nothing much at all has happened beyond the dynamic brought out in the first post:  his players are increasingly on board with his stated desires for effort and dedication. 

• Thanks 1
Just now, alexhortdog95 said:

No, but there's an example of a head coach being fired in year 4 after in 4 years having an offense ranked:

• 48th in 2016, defense ranked 89th
  • 14th in 2017, defense ranked 95th (fired his DC in year 2 of his tenure)
  • 18th in 2018, defense ranked 52nd
  • 93rd in 2019, defense ranked 20th

Homie got fired after 4 seasons...at his ALMA MATER.  And that was after succeeding a coach who in 14 seasons had won a single conference title, played for five conference titles at this particular school, and would probably still be there if he hadn't developed cancer.

So he fired his DC when the defense got worse and he got fired when his O fell off a cliff in year 4. Not sure how that compares to our situation. All I'm saying is Chinander ain't getting fired or made Co DC this year. Next year will be different with a different measure of success. This level of defense is only acceptable now because of how atrocious we have been, it will not be enough in year 3 and 4. I think you mistake me thinking Chinander shouldn't get fired for me thinking Chinander is a great coach. I don't know about Chinander I just know he did enough this year to not get fired 

So, lemme get this straight.....

Your metric on if a guy is improving as a coach is if the team he played the year prior didn't drop as many points on his defense?

giphy.gif

Literally all the stats you posted we were better than the year before except one. We also allowed less total yards and less points per game. My metric is if almost every statistical category is better than the year before then the defense is better. Crazy right? 

• Plus1 2
25 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Also, going from defensive coordinator to co defensive coordinator is a demotion lol 

Just for the record, also:

Going from Defensive Coordinator to strictly position coach = demotion.

Remaining Defensive Coordinator in a Co status Not = Demotion.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2016/01/oregon_demotes_defensive_coord.html

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/texas-overhauls-staff-firing-coordinators-todd-orlando-and-drew-mehringer-demoting-tim-beck/

https://www.mlive.com/sports/g66l-2019/01/bfd7b1f2f36629/resetting-michigan-states-coac.html

When you make statements like this, I question your football knowledge, just sayin...

1 minute ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

There are other takes on his being on the staff of some teams who have done well.  But he has no longevity anywhere, and although it's speculative (and that's why I am not 100% sure he can't do it here), many good coaches rise where they are, not by quitting repeatedly and moving here and there.  I am of the opinion (it's an opinion that I want to shake but haven't been able to) that Scott Frost is riding his name after being one of the better QBs in college football for a few years.   And now we see his first few years here:  nothing much at all has happened beyond the dynamic brought out in the first post:  his players are increasingly on board with his stated desires for effort and dedication. 

This is one of the worst posts I have ever read. So you can't point to anything in his history except he doesn't stay places long enough. Uhm, have you followed the world of college football coaching lately? People don't stay in one place too long 

• Plus1 2

My metric is if almost every statistical category is better than the year before then the defense is better. Crazy right? 

Cept for the one that matters....like the score?

Cause keeping your opponent from scoring more points than you....that's like, that newfangled 21st Century football, yes?

• Haha 1

This is one of the worst posts I have ever read. So you can't point to anything in his history except he doesn't stay places long enough. Uhm, have you followed the world of college football coaching lately? People don't stay in one place too long 

Says the guy who thought that Charlie Strong was a 4-3 guy, :laughpound

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

Just for the record, also:

Going from Defensive Coordinator to strictly position coach = demotion.

Remaining Defensive Coordinator in a Co status Not = Demotion.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2016/01/oregon_demotes_defensive_coord.html

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/texas-overhauls-staff-firing-coordinators-todd-orlando-and-drew-mehringer-demoting-tim-beck/

https://www.mlive.com/sports/g66l-2019/01/bfd7b1f2f36629/resetting-michigan-states-coac.html

When you make statements like this, I question your football knowledge, just sayin...

If you are a DC and your HC tells you they are bringing in another DC to Co DC with you, you are going to feel like you are being demoted. Has nothing to do with football knowledge just people knowledge 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Cept for the one that matters....like the score?

Cause keeping your opponent from scoring more points than you....that's like, that newfangled 21st Century football, yes?

?????? What are you saying??? Ppg allowed 

2017-36.4

2018-33.3

2019-27.8 

Chimander only has control over one side of the scoreboard and he improved that side

2 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Says the guy who thought that Charlie Strong was a 4-3 guy, :laughpound

Charlie strong must be a bad coach he jumps around alot