A Statistical Analysis of Husker QBs, or: Who Should We Blame For Our Disappointment?

Cdog923

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Frost had to be punished for his two years at Stanford. He can now breathe in year 3 

I always think of historical NU topics which would have been interested to read on internet message boards, if they had existed.

#1 for me is always the Frazier vs. Berringer controversy/competition in 1994-5.

Scott Frost from his high school recruitment to his final year at NU would have been a fascinating 5-6 years.

Hearing all the rumors about Terrell Farley and his drinking would have been fun to read.

I'm glad Osborne didn't have to put up with any internet message board crap when he was failing to win National Championships his first 21 years at NU.  I know he heard enough from the fan base back then and there wasn't "internet tough guy" back then.

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I always think of historical NU topics which would have been interested to read on internet message boards, if they had existed.

#1 for me is always the Frazier vs. Berringer controversy/competition in 1994-5.

Scott Frost from his high school recruitment to his final year at NU would have been a fascinating 5-6 years.

Hearing all the rumors about Terrell Farley and his drinking would have been fun to read.

I'm glad Osborne didn't have to put up with any internet message board crap when he was failing to win National Championships his first 21 years at NU.  I know he heard enough from the fan base back then and there wasn't "internet tough guy" back then.

Can you imagine the game thread against Miami in the '94 championship? Starting Frazier, then switching to Berringer, then switching back?

Just now, Husker in WI said:

Can you imagine the game thread against Miami in the '94 championship? Starting Frazier, then switching to Berringer, then switching back?

Holy crap.  The game threads get filled with enough hate and vitriol, that game would have been nuts.

"Why is Frazier starting, Berringer has gotten NU to this point the past 2 months of the season."

"Bring in Berringer, Tommie isn't doing anything."

"Yes, we need Berringer's passing ability!!!!" - after the TD pass to Gilman

"What is Tom doing????" on the pass call on 1st and goal from the 2 yard line after the bad punt snap by Miami.  It was a terrible pass by Berringer, but people weren't going to blame him.  The blame would have been squarely on Tom.

"Why is Frazier going back in?  We haven't been able to run the option at all on Miami."

"Holy crap, we are tied!!!  Come on defense!!!"

"Schlesinger again!!!"

I know there aren't a lot of us old dudes on this board who were old enough to remember those years, but I wonder how many on this board were on Team Frazier vs. Team Berringer.  I was squarely in the Team Frazier camp.  

2 hours ago, NUance said:

I've always thought Taylor Martinez took a (statistical) step backward his sophomore year due to defensive coordinators having film on him and game planning for him (and not just due to being injured like a lot of people say).  Okay, I know we're talking about passing stats and TMart was primarily a running quarterback.  But once you hamper his running game he just didn't have the arm or accuracy to be a polished passing QB.  

I suspect we are seeing some of the same thing with Adrian Martinez.  He burst on the scene last season and took everyone by surprise.  But DCs have enough film on him that they are better at game planning.  They have reads on him, his linemen and his receivers, and that helps out the DBs.  That might be some of it.  Then again part of his fall off this year might be due to injury or off field distractions.  Who's to say?

====================================  

I stuck that TMart clip in this post, well, because it's an awesome clip.  And likely won't have any more Husker football to watch this season.  But also because I love how they put 30 seconds of announcer commentary starting at 0:58 --  "They figured out at halftime" blah, blah, blah "and Snyder's been doing this a long time."  --announcer commentary immediately before Taylor Martinez 80 yard touchdown run 

A KSU fan here at work was at the game & will bring this game up at times.  He still shakes his head at how good TM was.  Too bad we didn't have the SUH D with it.  Our timing was off.  We needed either Ganz or TM to be our QB at the time SUH was dominant.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Landlord said:

ding ding ding ding ding. The only reason so many online fans are saying crazy stuff like, "I hope to never see him on the field in a Husker uniform again he's shown us who he is" and just being totally done with the kid aren't because he's actually bad but because he didn't fulfill their expectations. Kinda the same way that if you are expected to go 4-8 and then you go undefeated, it's a lot of fun, but if you're expected to win the natty but only go 8-4, that season is a depressing s#!tshow. 

Adrian's still the best QB we've had since Taylor for sure, and probably a good argument since Ganz. And even if he's not quite as good, he's still close to as good but minus the penchant for 3 INT games or throwing balls in the dirt ten yards in front of a receiver a few times a game like Taylor, and minus YOLO ball tendencies like Tommy, and minus being a personal pick six machine like Tanner. I know his decision making wasn't all that great this year but people somehow seem to forget the decision making we've had at quarterback for the last years :lol:Give the kid a chance to bounce back. 

And this is exhibit #1 on why Nebraska hasn’t been relevant in so long.  The production form the QB position has not been Top 20 caliber.  Saying AMart has been as good as anyone else we’ve had is not a ringing endorsement.  The completion percentages and TD/INT rations are not good for anyone on that list 

• Plus1 1

Just now, NUance said:

Ha ha!  That's why offseason threads about stats are great.  There will always be arguments debates.  :)

Exactly!  This is why I think stats from QBs playing for the same OC mean more than stats of QBs from various different schemes and coordinators.  Milton seems like a good choice to compare stats with Martinez considering both were recruited by Frost and played within his system, and both started as a freshman and sophomore.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Holy crap.  The game threads get filled with enough hate and vitriol, that game would have been nuts.

"Why is Frazier starting, Berringer has gotten NU to this point the past 2 months of the season."

"Bring in Berringer, Tommie isn't doing anything."

"Yes, we need Berringer's passing ability!!!!" - after the TD pass to Gilman

"What is Tom doing????" on the pass call on 1st and goal from the 2 yard line after the bad punt snap by Miami.  It was a terrible pass by Berringer, but people weren't going to blame him.  The blame would have been squarely on Tom.

"Why is Frazier going back in?  We haven't been able to run the option at all on Miami."

"Holy crap, we are tied!!!  Come on defense!!!"

"Schlesinger again!!!"

I know there aren't a lot of us old dudes on this board who were old enough to remember those years, but I wonder how many on this board were on Team Frazier vs. Team Berringer.  I was squarely in the Team Frazier camp.  

The bolded is why 95' was one of TO's greatest coaching achievements.  The team, particularly the OL, was firmly Team Berringer going into the 95' season.  TO by naming Frazier the starter easily could have been looking at a mutiny.  However, he was able to hold that team together and well as they say the rest is history. 

I can't think any more than 10% of the fanbase was Team Berringer.  Frazier more than won the fanbase over in 93' especially with what he was able to do in the bowl game against Florida State.  Frazier was definitely the fan favorite even though he wasn't necessarily the team favorite. 

I'm hopeful going into next year that Frost is willing to do the same thing.  When the starter is struggling, he's willing to try someone else.  The Iowa game shows he will.  We should see different packages next year with two maybe three different QBs playing.     

37 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

A KSU fan here at work was at the game & will bring this game up at times.  He still shakes his head at how good TM was.  Too bad we didn't have the SUH D with it.  Our timing was off.  We needed either Ganz or TM to be our QB at the time SUH was dominant.

Our 2010 Defense was still top ten and more or less elite. But we had no gameplan and no capability with a broken and hobbled Taylor, and Bo's teams couldn't play clean games. Even with Taylor and a dominant defense, we got shut down by 5-7 Texas, lost by 3 to A&M because of 16 penalties (nearly all of which were justified and stupid on our part), and blew a 17-0 lead in the conference championship game.

24 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Our 2010 Defense was still top ten and more or less elite. But we had no gameplan and no capability with a broken and hobbled Taylor, and Bo's teams couldn't play clean games. Even with Taylor and a dominant defense, we got shut down by 5-7 Texas, lost by 3 to A&M because of 16 penalties (nearly all of which were justified and stupid on our part), and blew a 17-0 lead in the conference championship game.

Not that roughing the passer......Man that game was brutal.  Or Big 12 good bye tour.

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, Landlord said:

All true points.