A Statistical Analysis of Husker QBs, or: Who Should We Blame For Our Disappointment?

Cdog923

ColoradoHusk: “I'm glad Osborne didn't have to put up with any internet message board crap when he was failing to win National Championships his first 21 years at NU. I know he heard enough from the fan base back then and there wasn't "internet tough guy" back then.”

Today’s internet/bloggey/Twittey/Fbooky/”hot takes” culture seeks to blow up every thing (big or small) that happens so that things gets turned into big mountains and every poor performance demands immediate outrage. That does not easily allow for the remaking of a culture and the changing and elevation of a subpar program seeking glory. Add to that the frustrations of a fan base that’s been disappointed for so many years (a full generation) and that’s a recipe for a uneasy mess.

The Husker powers-that-be made their decision about who will be leading this football team for the foreseeable future. The coach is set in certain ways and has yet to reevaluate his approaches to the game and how well the group of players he has can execute it. Some mirror-gazing is in order.

Today’s players are more ultra-conscious of what the Internet Culture is saying about every little thing more so than any coaches or powers above. Coaches learn to tune out just about everything they don’t want to hear - whether that might be something of value to them or not. Same with the powers above. Who has a boss that just loves to hear your suggestions or that you might point out that they as a boss have made a mistake or two? All they want to hear is that they are the greatest boss that ever lived.

Frost knew just how heavy the load was going to be before he came back. The jury is out whether he overestimated his ability (within his own mind) to turn things around quickly.

In the world of sports, you go from a hero to bum and back with each twist and turn of the season. Players and coaches must tune out the noise (any good or bad reactions to what they’re doing) or they’d go crazy. Even the likes of Saban and Belichick quickly get heat when they lose a game or two in a season. Like these days.

The internet is a great thing if you don’t take it too seriously.

I don't put much stock in statistics.  You have all heard the old joke about the statistician who drowned crossing a river that he calculated to  average only one foot in depth?  But more to the point:  I saw a Nebraska quarterback this year who threw such a bad pass that it went through one defender's hands and on to the next closest defender on the field  who deflected the ball several yards away to the intended receiver who looked like he had given up on the play.  In that QB's statistics, this counted as a 26 yard touchdown pass.  With the eyeball test, it was a horrible decision and a poorly thrown pass.  So who are you going to believe?  Statistics or your own lyin' eyes?

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, BackInTheDay said:

This doesn't have anything to do when I used to fight on this forum endlessly with the overwhelming majority by saying Bo Pelini was a better coach than Mike Riley, does it?...or am I the only one that remembers those epic battles?

You had 2 posts when I quoted you. Why would I know anything about you?

Also no.