JUCO ILB Eteva Mauga

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

41 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Mauga commit?

• Nebraska
    • San Diego State
    • South Alabama

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

I definitely trust the coaches with these JUCO evaluations. Could be any number of reasons why a player doesn’t have great offers - Mills only had a couple for a very specific reason as well.

That all said, I do think we need to be careful with JUCO numbers as a general rule. Really, really easy to fall in a constant hole where we have to band-aid with transfers every year once we start that process. Prep recruiting will always be more important to getting us back to competing for the division and conference yearly. If the number is 1 or 2, I think that probably makes sense. But 4 or so would be concerning in my opinion.

Henrich, Hannah, Reimer are all gonna be rFR next season, Nelson a Soph. I think this is the perfect time to bring in Juco LBs. We need someone to stick and this past year was too hard to watch our LBs play so bad

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Henrich, Hannah, Reimer are all gonna be rFR next season, Nelson a Soph. I think this is the perfect time to bring in Juco LBs. We need someone to stick and this past year was too hard to watch our LBs play so bad

I get that reasoning and it’s why I said I was okay with us targeting a couple. But we also have Honas and Miller. If we can’t find a way to get 4 guys (2 starters and 2 rotation) who are trustworthy out of that ILB group, then I see that as concerning.

But I also think that playing younger players isn’t an awful thing. I trust the coaches whole-heartedly, I just think it can become this self-fulfilling prophecy where we can’t play younger players, then when it’s time to play them, we can’t expect much from them because they’re inexperienced so we need to supplement with JUCOs.

10 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

I get that reasoning and it’s why I said I was okay with us targeting a couple. But we also have Honas and Miller. If we can’t find a way to get 4 guys (2 starters and 2 rotation) who are trustworthy out of that ILB group, then I see that as concerning.

But I also think that playing younger players isn’t an awful thing. I trust the coaches whole-heartedly, I just think it can become this self-fulfilling prophecy where we can’t play younger players, then when it’s time to play them, we can’t expect much from them because they’re inexperienced so we need to supplement with JUCOs.

If you get too many young players, some leave due to playing time.   The staff is also trying even out the classes.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

If you get too many young players, some leave due to playing time.   The staff is also trying even out the classes.

Class balance is hugely important for sure. But getting JUCOs can also scare off recruits as does trying to redshirt everyone.

I’m really not trying to start a whole big argument here. It’s a horse that’s been properly beaten. I’m simply saying I do think taking too many JUCOs would be concerning for me. It’s fine if you feel differently. The staff will get it figured out and the numbers always work out - well, except under Riley lol.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Caliborn72 said:

Class balance is hugely important for sure. But getting JUCOs can also scare off recruits as does trying to redshirt everyone.

I’m really not trying to start a whole big argument here. It’s a horse that’s been properly beaten. I’m simply saying I do think taking too many JUCOs would be concerning for me. It’s fine if you feel differently. The staff will get it figured out and the numbers always work out - well, except under Riley lol.

I agree, but we have some huge holes in DL, WR & LB depth and the best way to do this is get 5 star players or Jucos and the second is easier.   I do not expect this to happen a lot in the future, but we need it now to get to the next level.

• Plus1 1

• Mavric changed the title to JUCO ILB Eteva Mauga