JUCO ILB Eteva Mauga

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

41 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Mauga commit?

• Nebraska
    • San Diego State
    • South Alabama

This poll is closed to new votes

Well, obviously his highlight video is impressive. A lot of those clips have him not blocked. That won’t happen much in Div 1 football. It appears that he has good speed. As with any LB, the D line will need to play well to take up blocks so he can run free.

He’s an interesting recruit being from Samoa. I’m assuming he wasn’t recruited much or rated out of HS. 

37 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Looks like he has pretty good instincts, and definitely speed.... You just never know on guys like this. It feels like the staff is reaching quite a bit with some of these guys.

It definitely feels as though they are reaching into a bag of tricks to find effective LBs in the JUCO ranks.  I think these types of recruits either turn out really well or they transfer out after a year or so of not seeing the field.  Sort of like Woodyard.  Let's hope this one works out for the good guys.

23 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It definitely feels as though they are reaching into a bag of tricks to find effective LBs in the JUCO ranks.  I think these types of recruits either turn out really well or they transfer out after a year or so of not seeing the field.  Sort of like Woodyard.  Let's hope this one works out for the good guys.

Yeah, it's tough to have any kind of confidence in these offers, especially when it's not even a ranked JUCO prospect. I hope they know what they're doing, but I gotta admit, I'm not all that confident that they do.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Yeah, it's tough to have any kind of confidence in these offers, especially when it's not even a ranked JUCO prospect. I hope they know what they're doing, but I gotta admit, I'm not all that confident that they do.

I have full faith that they know exactly what they are doing.  What's happening is one of two things:

a)  They have moved on to plan B,C,D....etc. because other prospects haven't worked out.

Or

b)  They truly see something they really like in this kid and feel they can develop into something that will contribute to the program.

Again, I have full faith that the staff knows which of those they are doing.

34 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have full faith that they know exactly what they are doing.  What's happening is one of two things:

a)  They have moved on to plan B,C,D....etc. because other prospects haven't worked out.

Or

b)  They truly see something they really like in this kid and feel they can develop into something that will contribute to the program.

Again, I have full faith that the staff knows which of those they are doing.

Yeah, I almost edited that post, because I worded it poorly.... My biggest worry is that it's (a)

5 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Yeah, I almost edited that post, because I worded it poorly.... My biggest worry is that it's (a)

Unfortunately for ILB it is 100% A. Ruud missed on a lot of guys this year and now those wounds are showing as signing day draws near. Other positions the staff did great, but so far ILB has been such a cluster and until KJ and Butler/Ivey are in the fold, OLB looks bad as well.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Unfortunately for ILB it is 100% A. Ruud missed on a lot of guys this year and now those wounds are showing as signing day draws near. Other positions the staff did great, but so far ILB has been such a cluster and until KJ and Butler/Ivey are in the fold, OLB looks bad as well.

Which is why I'm surprised we backed off on Hodges...at this point take an extra JUCO at the spot and pray one of the two pan out 

9 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

I'm also hoping Ruud shows he can develop Henrich and Hannah as well as Snodgrass if hes even at ILB anymore. Henrich and Hannah were considered major wins...let's see if Ruud can develop in his first coaching gig

I definitely trust the coaches with these JUCO evaluations. Could be any number of reasons why a player doesn’t have great offers - Mills only had a couple for a very specific reason as well.

That all said, I do think we need to be careful with JUCO numbers as a general rule. Really, really easy to fall in a constant hole where we have to band-aid with transfers every year once we start that process. Prep recruiting will always be more important to getting us back to competing for the division and conference yearly. If the number is 1 or 2, I think that probably makes sense. But 4 or so would be concerning in my opinion.

• Mavric changed the title to JUCO ILB Eteva Mauga