Five Defining Moments of the 2019 Season

Mavric

My list would probably look like this:

1. Not running the ball into the end zone on 1st & goal from the two yard line against Purdue.

2. Not having a kicker that can kick the ball far enough on kickoffs.

3. Not having a kicker that can kick the ball far enough on kickoffs.

4. Not having a kicker that can kick the ball far enough on kickoffs.

5. Not having a kicker that can kick the ball far enough on kickoffs.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, thatguy said:

It was definitely one of the factors, yes. 

Yes, it was a factor, but Jurgens strong play the rest of the season could have been factors in victories over Illinois and Northwestern.

I guess it was a gamble for Frost to start Jurgens at the beginning of the year.  The other option was another redshirt freshman in Farniok.  While Farniok may have snapped the ball better, I don't think he was a better overall center than Jurgens, as Cam's progression the rest of the season showed.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, it was a factor, but Jurgens strong play the rest of the season could have been factors in victories over Illinois and Northwestern.

I guess it was a gamble for Frost to start Jurgens at the beginning of the year.  The other option was another redshirt freshman in Farniok.  While Farniok may have snapped the ball better, I don't think he was a better overall center than Jurgens, as Cam's progression the rest of the season showed.

Agree that Jurgens may be better, But that’s not the central point. 
winning games over Illinois and northwestern cannot make up for not going to a bowl game, especially if equal center play would have been available. 

2 minutes ago, thatguy said:

winning games over Illinois and northwestern cannot make up for not going to a bowl game, especially if equal center play would have been available. 

I don't think it was. The snaps contributed against Colorado, but much less than a complete defensive meltdown and not having a kicker.

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, thatguy said:

But if NU didn't beat Illinois and Northwestern, NU still doesn't go to a bowl game.

My list would probably be something like this:

1. Flea flicker vs Colorado

2. Decision to not pull Martinez vs Purdue (he was playing horribly & we should have won that game by 20)

3. Broken contain on reverse by Purdue on game-winning TD

4. Strip-sack vs Indiana - we were firmly in control of that game prior to that

5. TD kickoff returns vs Iowa (Wisconsin too, but we lost by 16 so...)

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, thatguy said:

It was definitely one of the factors, yes. 

I don't disagree with you at all here, for losses and poor play early in the season. 

Another factor I think in the early part of the season was just the O Line in general. 

The main factor in losses towards the middle to end of the year in my opinion as Jurgens and the offense improved AM seemed to just keep getting worse and worse. I think poor QB play alone accounted for at least 2 of our losses, maybe more...

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But if NU didn't beat Illinois and Northwestern, NU still doesn't go to a bowl game.

i'm saying players on the team knew we had a better center at the time who was being sacrificed for the future.

nu beat illinois and northwestern with average center play which was already available on the team. said average center play could have contributed to beating colorado, but instead we had poor center play which contributed to the loss.

1 hour ago, Aliens05 said:

I don't disagree with you at all here, for losses and poor play early in the season. 

Another factor I think in the early part of the season was just the O Line in general. 

The main factor in losses towards the middle to end of the year in my opinion as Jurgens and the offense improved AM seemed to just keep getting worse and worse. I think poor QB play alone accounted for at least 2 of our losses, maybe more...

absolutely agree. just tough to be sitting there now not going to a bowl game partly because we chose to play a center who couldn't snap the ball when we didn't have to, then at the same time, blamed the "pieces around the quarterback" for the poor offense.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, thatguy said:

absolutely agree. just tough to be sitting there now not going to a bowl game partly because we chose to play a center who couldn't snap the ball when we didn't have to, then at the same time, blamed the "pieces around the quarterback" for the poor offense.

I just think that is a very, very small part of why we're not going to  a bowl game. Like not in the top ten reasons.

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

I just think that is a very, very small part of why we're not going to  a bowl game. Like not in the top ten reasons.

your opinion. but that decision created locker room issues and arguably contributed to QB poor performance and at least 1 loss. yea i'd say it could have helped us get one more win.

just curious. what are your top 10 reasons?