A tale of two Frost seasons per NU's B1G game stats

beorach

20 hours ago, Toe said:

TLDR: The defense improved a bit while the offense took a nosedive, but people still wanna blame Chinander...

why wouldn't you blame Chinander?

The slight statistical improvement seemed to come earlier in the season, then fade back to bad habits for the meat of the Big 10.. Offense was supposed to be our strong suit, but it took a step back. No one is suggesting otherwise. 

I'm open-minded enough to see room for improvement virtually everywhere. 

23 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

The Huskers allowed 4.82 yards per carry to rank 102nd nationally......    4.82    Do you get it now..??

I get that you're cherry-picking one single stat out of many to fit your narrative, sure.

Here, since you like them so much, have some other cherry-picked stats: #116 in red-zone conversion, #99 in 4th-down conversions, #86 in sacks allowed, #82 in passing offense.

I think there is plenty of room all over the team in every phase and position.  However there does seem to be a fairly high percentage of comments that seem to want to blame one area as the primary problem.  

The defense played better as the season went along (improved) but needed to be where it was at the end of the season at the beginning.  
The offense should have started out where it was last year too!   Sadly it ended up worse by yearend worse than we began last year in my view.  Turnovers were cut back or we’d have been awful this year.  

Special teams were poor in almost all respects (kickers, punters, blocking, coverage, returns, etc).  Minus about five plays the special teams play was just plain bad.  The injured place kickers really is the only excusable area.  We have plenty of athletes to field a coverage unit and punt receiving is mostly the starting defenders anyway.  
And how can we have no decent

punt catchers besides JD from all those WRs who didn’t play much?

It seems as though the special teams never practiced much.  With 150 plus on the squad and lots of practice areas there is just no excuse I can see.   Help me to understand this one.  

I feel the blame (if that is the term to use) as maybe 35% offense, 40% special teams, 25% defense.  
Coaches and players share the responsibility alike. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Colorado scored 24 points in the 4th quarter (avg 23.5 ppg on the season)...I lost all faith that I kinda still had in Chin after that day 

Minnesota held us completely scoreless save for one TD in garbage time. I mean hell, even Maryland put up 10 points against Minnesota. Did you lose all faith that you kinda still had in Frost that day?

Seriously, I can understand being critical of the defense, but I really don't get how some of you are so damn blind to the fact that the offense was just as bad, and arguably even worse.

#71 scoring offense, #66 scoring defense.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Toe said:

Minnesota held us completely scoreless save for one TD in garbage time. I mean hell, even Maryland put up 10 points against Minnesota. Did you lose all faith that you kinda still had in Frost that day?

I told people all year that Vedral was average and MN was actually a good team this year. I have been critical of Frost and play calls this year but in no way is Chin on the same level as Frost 

10 minutes ago, Toe said:

Seriously, I can understand being critical of the defense, but I really don't get how some of you are so damn blind to the fact that the offense was just as bad, and arguably even worse.

Doesnt fit the narrative that Chin is bad and the source of all our problems. 

24 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think there is plenty of room all over the team in every phase and position.  However there does seem to be a fairly high percentage of comments that seem to want to blame one area as the primary problem.  

It’s sad isn’t? We’re arguing with each other about which side of the ball is worse. At the end of the day the fact we’re even doing this shows none of it has been good enough. It also falls on the feet of one guy. We’d be singing Frost’s praises if we won 8+ games this year, he gets the blame for us not being bowl eligible once again - no matter which side of the ball we want to point fingers at. 

Disclaimer: blaming Frost for a poor season =/=  I want him fired. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, beorach said:

The one (and pretty much only) thing I've always given Riley credit for was putting an end to the fumbling saga.

2012 - 22 fumbles lost

2013 - 16

2014 - 13

2015 - 6

2016 - 5

2017 - 2

It's hard to argue that Riley improved the stat of Husker fumbles, but I'll make an attempt to explain how he accomplished it in-part anyway... No, it doesn't offset, but it might be harder to fumble as often when you already gave the ball away with more interceptions.

In 2012 we had an extra conference championship game which we fumbled twice and had one interception. There was one less game in 2017 (no bowl game) to fumble the ball or more than likely throw a few extra interceptions.

2012 - 13 interceptions

2013 - 13

2014 - 12

2015 - 21 (Riley's 1st year trying to make a pocket passer out of Tommy)

2016 - 9 (Riley decides to make use of Tommy's legs)

2017 - 17 (Turnover Lee)

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think your math is a bit off.  And most of the difference is just in two games (Ohio State and Minnesota).

Please share where you think the math is off and I will gladly update it.  I also would not be so dismissive of teams like OSU as they scored lots of points against us during the Riley years, as did Wisconsin during the Pelini years.  OSU could have actually scored more against us this season but they slowed down a bit in the 2nd half. Meanwhile in 2018 we had a chance to win the game late in Columbus.  I realize OSU and Minnesota may look better in 2019, but Purdue and Northwestern were better in 2018.  I tried to focus on common opponents as that seemed to be the most fair comparison year over year.

1 hour ago, Toe said:

I agree both sides struggled mightily this year.  The trend shows the offense was worse than last year while the defense remained about the same.  I think the reason you are seeing more attention given to Chin is that he has been a DC for 4 seasons and has never once led a stout defense.  Giving up 33 points a game this year vs 35 in 2018 is nothing to be that excited about.  Meanwhile, Frost and his offensive staff can lay claim to having the #1 offense in the country in 2017, and Nebraska's offensive stats in 2018 were pretty good as well.  Thus I think there is more hope that Frost can turn the offense around, but there is less confidence Chin can do so on defense.

22 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Thus I think there is more hope that Frost can turn the offense around, but there is less confidence Chin can do so on defense.

The offense, defense, and special teams sucked this year. There are times where the te/wrs are open and AM simply doesnt see them. I have some hope that Frost can get something out of the QB position.  I wish Frost would get some more power running in his offense. My angst with the D is that this is not an attacking defense. NU gives up lots of running yards and has no pass rush. Brutal. I saw Wisconsin beat the Gophers blitz, but I sat there and said well at least Minnesota is trying to win. The final drive against Iowa was horrible to watch. I fear the smartest guy that Frost knows will keep dialing up no pressure. Wish they would get some analysts to help them and see the big picture.