Other Sad Teams

12 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

LOL, TCU does not have a legacy. They have no more claim of a legacy than Baylor does.... that school will always be 4th or 8th fiddle in their own state

Baylor has a legacy, too. 

Not a long one, but we'd take the last decade or two at Baylor or TCU over Nebraska's current stretch of irrelevance,.

Or to put it another way, if you are a 21 year old college senior, do you think of Nebraska as football legacy?

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

... if you are a 21 year old college senior, do you think of Nebraska as football legacy?

Point taken, but there is a large percentage of UNL college kids who have parents and grandparents from here or surrounding states, and know what's up with the program's demise since about the time the college kids were born. 

19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Baylor has a legacy, too. 

Not a long one, but we'd take the last decade or two at Baylor or TCU over Nebraska's current stretch of irrelevance,.

Or to put it another way, if you are a 21 year old college senior, do you think of Nebraska as football legacy?

I agree in that I would definitely take their stretch of football over the past 10-15 years.  Legacy to me though means more than that.  You've got to win at least a title and have a dominant run for say 3-4 years to earn a legacy.  

Baylor has a legacy, but for all the wrong reasons (see art briles)... only a few schools crack a legacy for me in the past decade- Bama, Clemson, ohio state, maybe the early-mid decade run oregon had.  Not sure if I even throw Oklahoma as a legacy... have they even been in a title game this decade?

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Baylor has a legacy, but for all the wrong reasons (see art briles)... only a few schools crack a legacy for me in the past decade- Bama, Clemson, ohio state, maybe the early-mid decade run oregon had.  Not sure if I even throw Oklahoma as a legacy... have they even been in a title game this decade?

Careful. Nebraska established a 40 year legacy without being in a national championship game for ten years at a stretch. 

If you keep showing up in the Top 10 year after year, you're still a legacy. Oklahoma was a legacy before it hit a dry patch in the 90s, and has a helluva good record in the 20 years since Bob Stoops took over. 

Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma are the current elite, but a lot of schools still boast football legacies. 

I think Boise State has given its fans a good ride for the past 20 years, too. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Point taken, but there is a large percentage of UNL college kids who have parents and grandparents from here or surrounding states, and know what's up with the program's demise since about the time the college kids were born. 

And those parents had grandparents who would talk about Minnesota's football legacy, which hit a dry patch from 1963 until this year. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Roundball Shaman said:

Certain programs (Oklahoma, Ohio State, Alabama...) have been able to stay pretty much on top for the last 50 years. Others with former great legacies stumble and have a hard time ever getting back.

You did say pretty much but if you look back you’ll find those 3 also had some pretty lean periods. They may not have gone through the 20 year skid we’re currently on but they sure weren’t on top for the last 50 years either.

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It always cheers me up a  bit to know that other people are suffering, and although some of these teams will go to bowl games, most of the fanbase thinks their college football legacy deserves better. 

Texas  7-5

All the money, recruiting advantages, coaching changes and arrogance, and the Longhorns still aren't back to relevance. 

TCU  5-7

They've had a damn good run the last few years, but look at that record-- no better than Nebraska!

Florida State  6-6

One more win, but they've had some of the most embarrassing losses of any Division 1 team this year. Fired their second year head coach. May be trending back up. 

Miami  6-6

Warm weather, recruiting hotbed, football legacy, keeping most of their players out of prison these days, but still mired in mediocrity. 

Michigan State  6-6

Meh.

Northwestern  3-9

They used to fight Nebraska for the upper reaches of the second tier of the Big 10, but they were just awful this year.

Washington 7-5

Huskies fans expect more, especially in a weak Pac 12

Stanford 4-8

They've been tough, smart and in the hunt all decade. A power football team that vintage Huskers want to emulate. But the personnel ran out this year. It happens.

UCLA  4-8

They've got every advantage we supposedly lack, and Scott Frost's more proven mentor at the helm, and they continue to troll the bottom of the Pac 12.

Colorado  5-7

Do their fans expect more or deserve better?  Don't know. Don't care. 

Tennessee  7-5

This record probably has the folks in Knoxville feeling optimistic, which shows just how far the Vols have fallen.

Texas A&M  7-5

I've never considered A&M college football royalty, but their fans seem to disagree. LIke 6-6 Missouri, they look like they're fading down the backstretch of the SEC

Arkansas  2-10

Believe it or not, Arkansas used to be a player. Or a spoiler. Or something. And Nebraska used to covet their coaches. They probably weren't as good as their 2-10 record suggests.

In defense of Texas A&M, the schedule they had was brutal. I think 7-5 is right about what they expected.

They played Clemson, Auburn, Alabama, Georgia and LSU.

The rest of your post is fair, winning is difficult.  The question is if there is enough progress with the team to generate excitement, which we all expected but did not see this year.

13 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And those parents had grandparents who would talk about Minnesota's football legacy, which hit a dry patch from 1963 until this year. 

I was in Eureka then Arcata last year during several big fires not far from there.  We were told to get micro particle masks and not exercise or breathe deeply or we'd end up thinking about Minnesota football in the years 1904, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, and 1960.  Are you okay?

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Careful. Nebraska established a 40 year legacy without being in a national championship game for ten years at a stretch. 

If you keep showing up in the Top 10 year after year, you're still a legacy. Oklahoma was a legacy before it hit a dry patch in the 90s, and has a helluva good record in the 20 years since Bob Stoops took over. 

Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma are the current elite, but a lot of schools still boast football legacies. 

I think Boise State has given its fans a good ride for the past 20 years, too. 

That Nebraska legacy is a bit unique though right?  Your original example of TCU's run in 8-10 years pales in comparison to a higher level of dominance stretched over 40.  I'd also argue that legacy was greatly boosted by the end run in 90s... would that 30 year run be as highly regarded if TO didn't bring home 3 titles in the 90s?  While still respected, I think without those titles its nothing but a footnote to casual fans.

I'll give you Oklahoma as they have a similar run to nebraska in the 80s/early 90s- ie- consistent top 5/top10 but no title and coming up short in the big games.

20 hours ago, Roundball Shaman said:

Certain programs (Oklahoma, Ohio State, Alabama...) have been able to stay pretty much on top for the last 50 years. Others with former great legacies stumble and have a hard time ever getting back.

What’s the difference? The head coach? The recruiting? Karma? All of these things have their place. But that’s not where the real difference lies.

What keeps these great programs on top is the BOSSES. The people who do the hiring and firing of the head coaches, et al. These are the people who seem to always make GOOD decisions on who to hire as coaches and recruiters and then everything else follows along. Over many years, all the underling pieces will change over again and again. To keep on top, your power people on top consistently make good hiring decisions.

Major college ball is like a business as any other. If you have a good person (persons) at the very top, they will bring successful people into the fold and your outfit will prosper. If not...

All of the major programs have the right people sitting in the big offices making the (mostly) right decisions. Sometimes there is an ethical lapse along the way by someone and they get caught. Programs that stumble did so because multiple bad decisions were made and they haven’t been corrected yet. And sometimes pride gets in the way and bad decisions are never acknowledged or corrected.

Oklahoma has pretty much been near the top the last 50 years?  Really, we're just going to ignore the fact that OU really wasn't very good for a decade?  We're going to ignore John Blake's 12-22 record at OU?  The three coaches between Switzer and Stoops had difficulties winning at OU. 

Ohio State had John Cooper as their coach for 13 seasons.  He managed a whopping 2-10-1 record against Michigan.  Basically, they had Bo Pelini coaching them.  His record wasn't terrible, but he really didn't win many games of substance.  They were a far cry from being on top. 

Between Bear Bryant (58'-82') and Nick Saban (07'-19'), Alabama was for the most part the definition of mediocre other than a few years when Stallings was coach.  Had Stallings and the BOSSES as you call them not have cheated, Alabama more than likely would have been mediocre through the Stallings years as well.  Because of the massive cheating causing infractions and loss of scholarships, Alabama only won 8 or more games 3 times between Stallings (96') and Saban (07'). 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

That Nebraska legacy is a bit unique though right?  Your original example of TCU's run in 8-10 years pales in comparison to a higher level of dominance stretched over 40.  I'd also argue that legacy was greatly boosted by the end run in 90s... would that 30 year run be as highly regarded if TO didn't bring home 3 titles in the 90s?  While still respected, I think without those titles its nothing but a footnote to casual fans.

I'll give you Oklahoma as they have a similar run to nebraska in the 80s/early 90s- ie- consistent top 5/top10 but no title and coming up short in the big games.

Someone else can do the research and set the rules, but Nebraska's run from 1962 - 2001 might be unprecedented. I'm thinking of consecutive winning seasons, bowl games, appearances in the Top 20, Top 10 and Top 5. 

It would always rank as a good run, but totally agree that the 1993-1997 seasons make the whole legacy a lot more meaningful.

Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma and most definitely Clemson all had troughs and glitches we simply didn't experience until that 7-7 season in 2002. Even then, many Power 5 schools would have found our 2003 - 20016 record perfectly acceptable or even enviable.

The last three years is really a new experience for us. 

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, Maized & Confused said:

You missed one more team to bounce back next year... starts with "N"

I let myself get my hopes up this year.  We are 27-34 in 5 seasons.  I'm not doing it again until it's justified.  There's a 5 game stretch at the end of the year that we could very easily stumble through and come out with 1 or no wins.

• Plus1 1