Other Sad Teams

On 12/6/2019 at 2:32 AM, Landlord said:

tl;dr they've had minor down spells, but nothing as long or as pitiful as pretty much any other blue blood that exists. They've been the most consistent over 50-60+ years in a way that just seems unfair and improbable :lol: 

Well, it probably has helped Ohio State that they are the only Power 5 football program in a state with a population of over 11 million people.  Frankly, it's shocking that the lawmakers in Ohio never made a push decades ago to get a second Ohio school in the Big 10 - there are many states that are much smaller that have had more than one power conference football team for decades (Kansas, Iowa, Oklahoma, Oregon, etc).

In all of college football, there are only a handful of programs more dissapointed than Nebraska right now.  The list of who we can laugh at is ever shrinking.  But the debacle that is Arkansas, is about as sad as it gets.  Last 3 years of 4-8, 2-10, 2-10.  Arkansas is a program that has money and a state that cares about their football.  And they dont have the hope on the horizon that the rest of the struggling programs have. 

We have been ALMOST as bad the last 3 years, but we have a coach we believe in, who will stay here as long as he is welcome.  I believe we already hit our rock bottom, and are moving in the right direction.  Arkansas is still in their pit, with no telling when they will get out.  I'm sure Arkansans have a deep hatred for motorcycles.

• Plus1 1

On 12/4/2019 at 6:53 PM, Igetbored216 said:

Texas has always baffled me. I have seen good coaches go there, and get fired from there. They seem to constantly under perform, which is weird considering they have great athletes on the team. I would take many of their players for Nebraska. I would assume it has something to do with the administration? 

Not a Texas fan at all, but with that said, I am also puzzled. I believe TH was the right hire, but with all the talent they have, something is wrong. UT and Oklahoma recruit most of the best players in the State of Texas. But I suppose UT needs to give Herman at least five years, but who knows if the University will be patient enough. However, let them lose, as far as I am concern. 

Texas A&M never won anything in the Big XII, let alone the SEC.  Probably the most delusional fanbase in all of college football.  R.C. Slocum, Dat Nguyen, Manziel/Evans is the Aggie legacy.  I'd say, much like Arizona State and Maryland, one of the most underachieving college football programs in college football history with the recruiting footprint and resources available.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Texas A&M never won anything in the Big XII, let alone the SEC.  Probably the most delusional fanbase in all of college football.  R.C. Slocum, Dat Nguyen, Manziel/Evans is the Aggie legacy.  I'd say, much like Arizona State and Maryland, one of the most underachieving college football programs in college football history with the recruiting footprint and resources available.

They've been solid for a while though.....but never great.  Have they ever made a BCS bowl?

Edit: Looked it up, only looked back 30 or 40 years, but not 1 BCS bowl....they did go undefeated in 94' with 1 tie, but didnt go to a bowl.  Not sure how that happens? 

They usually have been decent, (never a laughing stock), but never great either.  I'd liken A&M to a POOR MAN'S Bo Pelini.  

22 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

They've been solid for a while though.....but never great.  Have they ever made a BCS bowl?

Edit: Looked it up, only looked back 30 or 40 years, but not 1 BCS bowl....they did go undefeated in 94' with 1 tie, but didnt go to a bowl.  Not sure how that happens?

In the first year of the BCS (1998), A&M won the Big 12 and lost to Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl.  But all in all I agree, they're a middle-class P5 program at best.

19 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

Pretty much all the power teams from the 90's, with the exception of the Florida Gators, have been dormant for the last couple of seasons. They say college football is cyclical, so let's hope in a few years time those 90's teams are back up.

Even the Gators under Ron Zook, Will Muschamp, and Jim McElwain were very mediocre at times.

On 12/4/2019 at 3:21 PM, NUinID said:

I agree that having top talent at AD and having a President and Chancellor that understand things is probably most important.

I don't agree that Alabama has remained on top for the past 50 years.   From the time Bear Bryant retired in 1981 until Sabin was hired in 2006 Alabama was pretty average most of the time and downright bad some of the time. They had about 4 good years under Gene Stallings but nothing else that was that great or sustained.  Alabama wondered in the wilderness for about 25 years waiting for a coach.  

It helps if the Chancellor can long snap as well