Isaac Gifford

• Mavric changed the title to Isaac Gifford

I'm a bit confused by this.  Usually I've seen a blueshirt be a guy who doesn't enroll in the summer/fall like most recruits but waits until January.  So they basically count towards the next class.

But he's going to enroll in January then get a scholarship this fall.  So he's basically still in this class.

So I wonder if him wanting to enroll early was kind of the hang-up here?  If he got a scholarship right away he'd have to count against this class but by not getting a scholarship this semester he can basically count against the next class while still being here as if he was in his class?

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm a bit confused by this.  Usually I've seen a blueshirt be a guy who doesn't enroll in the summer/fall like most recruits but waits until January.  So they basically count towards the next class.

But he's going to enroll in January then get a scholarship this fall.  So he's basically still in this class.

So I wonder if him wanting to enroll early was kind of the hang-up here?  If he got a scholarship right away he'd have to count against this class but by not getting a scholarship this semester he can basically count against the next class while still being here as if he was in his class?

So use a year of eligibility (redshirt or not) but scholarship count ticks one down for the 2021 group. Weird, but we'll take it? 

2 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

So use a year of eligibility (redshirt or not) but scholarship count ticks one down for the 2021 group. Weird, but we'll take it? 

Well, he doesn't really lose a year of eligibility.  He's a January enrollee just like several other guys in this class.  But apparently doing it this way means he doesn't count toward the 25 we can take for this class - he'll count against the next class (I assume).

I'll definitely take him.  Just never seen anything play out like this before.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yea, it is odd.  I just think they're obviously trying to maximize the number of kids they can take in this class knowing they can sort it out later and he's the perfect kid to do this with.  He's a local kid that didn't really have much interest in going anywhere else honestly, and with his situation he can afford it unlike a lot of other kids.  I don't know for sure but but I really think he would of walked on here if he had to.

59 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Well, he doesn't really lose a year of eligibility.  He's a January enrollee just like several other guys in this class.  But apparently doing it this way means he doesn't count toward the 25 we can take for this class - he'll count against the next class (I assume).

I'll definitely take him.  Just never seen anything play out like this before.

He is not eligible to play that first year, but also doesn't count against the team's 25-man scholarship limit for the recruiting class.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/lse-star-gifford-senses-momentum-in-frost-s-program-commits/article_ac7a98b8-3e5d-5f51-9fd2-80ed9090c74b.html

This says he won't be eligible to play this year. So, I assume that is how he won't count this year as he can't play anyways and it'll basically force a redshirt. He gets to be on scholarship though.

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I've learned to not get hung up on class counting.  It all seems to be pretty fungible (count back, count forward, early enrollee, etc).  Its really only the 85 that matters.

Yeah, the 85 is usually more in play than anything else.

On that note, I have us at 84 right at the moment.  There are always a few that leave after spring.  But we have one more spot before someone has to leave for anyone else to show up.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

We can over sign by 3, so we are looking 4 more signees.  Is this a correct assumption?

I used to think that.  But apparently that's not as hard-and-fast as it would seem.

Apparently they have to turn in some sort of "expected" roster number.  Then they can oversign three from there.  So they could basically say "we think we'll lose three more guys at the end of the semester so we can sign 7 more".