WR Keagan Johnson [Iowa - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

58 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Johnson commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

19 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I'm not saying I wouldn't take the kid, but is he better than Betts, Brown, Fleming, or Nixon? We are fine at WR regardless IMO. Wandale is only a sophomore and Manning will be a Junior. 

Point taken.  

What I usually find interesting is the banter through it all.  @HANC was spot on this one if you take time to read the thread.

39 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I'm not saying I wouldn't take the kid, but is he better than Betts, Brown, Fleming, or Nixon? We are fine at WR regardless IMO. Wandale is only a sophomore and Manning will be a Junior. 

I hear you. I just think the angst is that not only is he a reasonably in-state ranked prospect, he's also a legacy.

Do I think this will hurt us in the long haul? Not at all because whether its DB or WR the staff has shown they can get similar/like talent. Most are just sensitive about the program right now.

I'd rather he pick NU but it is what it is.

3 hours ago, Decked said:

Rumors swirling on multiple sites that he may commit tomorrow to Iowa. With the Brecht commitment they only have one spot left. Not sure how much I would buy into this but I figure I’d pass this one on. 

Think they only have one spot left at WR. So he’s gonna be it. If it’s Iowa congrats to the kid and I hope he never plays a down for them.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

15 hours ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

Does anyone know if the Huskers don’t have him very high on their board or is the family/Keagan that don’t have the Huskers high on their list? Still bad feelings after older brother got passed over?

Probably a mix of both. The whole family had a bitter taste after his brothers were passed over for the flashy recruitment of West coast receivers who didn't pan out or never showed up. We stocked up with some talented receivers last class so KJ would be a good addition but not necessarily a must get for the staff this year.

Good for him if he thinks Iowa is a better fit. I don't see this being as big of a hit to the program confidence as some of our previous in-state misses. 

• Plus1 2
On 4/29/2020 at 11:44 AM, BIG ERN said:

I love this kind of statement.  Have no issues with @BIG ERN as I say this ...

So, for me, if we have recruited "better" receivers than Iowa, then we will be able to see who develops better, correct?

So, I'm simply noting that I'll be watching in four [4] years to see how well Betts, Brown, Fleming and Nixon produce and where they go in the NFL draft ... compared to this guy ... who isn't as talented.  

In the long run, I'm more concerned about how we develop a player than how well our recruiting is ... because we always have done more with less than other programs ... and that has been lost in our program.

5 hours ago, BigRedN said:

I love this kind of statement.  Have no issues with @BIG ERN as I say this ...

So, for me, if we have recruited "better" receivers than Iowa, then we will be able to see who develops better, correct?

So, I'm simply noting that I'll be watching in four [4] years to see how well Betts, Brown, Fleming and Nixon produce and where they go in the NFL draft ... compared to this guy ... who isn't as talented.  

In the long run, I'm more concerned about how we develop a player than how well our recruiting is ... because we always have done more with less than other programs ... and that has been lost in our program.

We have out recruited them for quite some time at RB and WR....we also have more RBs and WRs in the NFL. To my knowledge an Iowa WR hasn't had more than 100 yards for a CAREER in the NFL over the past 20 years. Iowa has done way better than us at OL and TE, even LB. Outside of the time with Pelini they have done better than us at DB as well. Their DC has been solid for them for a long time where ours have been pretty inconsistent to say the least. Yes, our WRs should show up more than theirs come draft time. Time will tell. They have two decent WR that will be seniors this year who could make NFL teams and probably will. 

17 hours ago, BigRedN said:

@BIG ERN, thanks for chiming in your thoughts.  Ya, I was looking today at three years of recruiting and they were like 46, 58 and 41 with the next year being when they got Epenesa (spelling?).  Anyway, just amazing what development and coaching can do.  

I would add consistency and scheme to the bolded part. Iowa and Wisconsin have programs that are very good at what they do, and they don't tinker. That allows college players to develop.  It's really no wonder why Nebraska kids in the last 5 years haven't developed or been drafted with 3/4 position coaches, coordinators and schemes.  The carousel has to stop to have success.

• Plus1 4
On 5/1/2020 at 6:14 PM, Touchdown Tommie said:

Does anyone know if the Huskers don’t have him very high on their board or is the family/Keagan that don’t have the Huskers high on their list? Still bad feelings after older brother got passed over?

What year did his brother graduate that was passed over...and where did he end up going?

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What year did his brother graduate that was passed over...and where did he end up going?

2015, he went to Wyoming. Did pretty well, but he tore his ACL and ended up medically retiring. From what I can tell CJ didn't come particularly close to getting an offer, I couldn't find a profile. Some random comments in other recruits' threads, a lot of worry we'd lose him to a big ten rival but at least that didn't happen?

Receiving & Rushing

Receiving Rushing Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Wyoming         51 835 16.4 10 2 15 7.5 0 53 850 16.0 10
2015 Wyoming MWC FR WR                   0 0   0
*2016 Wyoming MWC FR WR 10 21 304 14.5 3 0 0   0 21 304 14.5 3
*2017 Wyoming MWC SO WR 12 30 531 17.7 7 2 15 7.5 0 32 546 17.1 7
*2019 Wyoming MWC SR WR                   0 0   0
  • Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to WR Keagan Johnson [Iowa - Signed LOI]