WR Keagan Johnson [Iowa - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

58 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Johnson commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

My gut hunch was wrong but its probably about 80% accurate.  I do hope legacy guys find their way to follow in dads’ footsteps when it seems best for team and player alike.   Sometimes things are not ideal for both as positions and skills and academics mismatch.  

Not sure what the issues were but hopefully it’s amicable as futures are never certain.  Transfers are all too frequent.  People change - circumstances do as well.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I'm more concerned about the comments he made about Nebraska than I am about the fact that he didn't choose us. It sucks losing a legacy, home state, 3* player for sure. However, the stuff he said about Nebraska is in the minds of a lot of kids that we miss on.

I dunno.  What did he say that you disagree with?  We are not the same program as we were 25 years ago.  That's pretty much what he said:  

“At the end of the day times have changed. No knock on Nebraska’s program but it’s not the same as when (Clester) played,” Keagan told the Omaha World-Herald. “He’s always been open-minded, and I am blessed that I can start my own legacy and I don’t have to follow his footsteps. He has always preached that to me.”

8 minutes ago, NUance said:

I dunno.  What did he say that you disagree with?  We are not the same program as we were 25 years ago.  That's pretty much what he said:  

“At the end of the day times have changed. No knock on Nebraska’s program but it’s not the same as when (Clester) played,” Keagan told the Omaha World-Herald. “He’s always been open-minded, and I am blessed that I can start my own legacy and I don’t have to follow his footsteps. He has always preached that to me.”

Here’s a new one

EDIT: Tweet has since been deleted

2 hours ago, Dewiz said:

Here’s a new one

EDIT: Tweet has since been deleted

I wouldn't read into it too much, most of us felt invincible around that time in our lives. Happy for him and hope he finds individual success wherever he goes. That said, I hope Iowa's peak during his tenure is a couple Pinstripe Bowl runs mixed with a Belk Bowl appearance and four losses to DONU. 

• Plus1 2

12 hours ago, NUance said:

There was also a comment on coaching consistency somewhere I can't find now. I don't necessarily disagree with him at all, but he is just highlighting why we are striking out on recruits in many instances and we need to win to change the narrative. I was just highlighting that if a legacy instate recruit feels that way than recruits with no ties likely do too. It's an uphill recruiting battle we've been winning, but how much longer can we?

8 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

There was also a comment on coaching consistency somewhere I can't find now. I don't necessarily disagree with him at all, but he is just highlighting why we are striking out on recruits in many instances and we need to win to change the narrative. I was just highlighting that if a legacy instate recruit feels that way than recruits with no ties likely do too. It's an uphill recruiting battle we've been winning, but how much longer can we?

Yeah, I don't necessarily disagree with his comments that I've read.  But I do think it's poor form on his part to take parting shots at us after commiting to Iowa.  He would have been better off to take the high road and not say anything.  /jmho  

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, NUance said:

Yeah, I don't necessarily disagree with his comments that I've read.  But I do think it's poor form on his part to take parting shots at us after commiting to Iowa.  He would have been better off to take the high road and not say anything.  /jmho  

I don't see Johnson's comments as "parting shots".  He was asked why he chose Iowa, and he gave honest answers.  Frost and his staff will need to be able to not "sell the past" and sell the current results to recruits.  Iowa has much better results than NU in recent years (including 5 straight wins head to head).  Minnesota has a strong season from last year to recruit on.  NU doesn't have that right now.

Recruiting is such a different game now days, it's almost impossible to shut down your borders, w/ film and camps, visibility is at an all time high - kids are getting looks from all over the country. Just looking at 2021 alone.

Top 2 Kids in Nebraska - Going to Iowa, and Minnesota

Top 2 Kids in Minnesota - Going to Wisconsin and Iowa

Top 2 Kids in Iowa - Chance that Iowa misses out on both

Top Kid in Michigan - Looks like he's SEC bound

Top 2 Kids in Missouri - Not Mizzou Bound

Top 2 Kids in Colorado - Not Colorado Bound

38 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

You also have to realize in-state kids here a lot more of the bad news than kids from other states do. Nebraska football is the biggest thing in Nebraska, that is a fact. So imagine how much you would hear about the state of the program being a top in-state kid with ties to said program. I can see why kids want to go somewhere else in-state until we can actually win. We win the games that we choked and I can guarantee Johnson's narrative is different. The program is on a losing plateau, it needs to change this next season or we are going to not have a chance with a couple 2022 in-state kids who are program changers at their position.

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I think KJ is a good talent but given our haul last class, we aren't in desperate need at his spot. Wish him the best but not a dagger to the program or morale. Hopefully he's the last from the metro going to Iowa City for awhile. 

keep seeing comments similar to this.  i haven't been following nearly as close as I used to - but for some reason I still thought manning and betts were very much up in the air.  without them, that "haul" last class looks pretty mediocre.  are we confident both will make it?  considering they aren't in a classroom and having to depend on themselves, being accountable to themselves, with no one else holding them accountable...consider me a little worried here if we have to depend on "online classes" to get these two qualified.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Recruiting is such a different game now days, it's almost impossible to shut down your borders, w/ film and camps, visibility is at an all time high - kids are getting looks from all over the country. Just looking at 2021 alone.

Top 2 Kids in Iowa - Chance that Iowa misses out on both

Would have left this one out of your example considering they currently have 7 of the top 10 locked up already.  Iowa has done a damn good job this year.

We need to remember that none of these kids see Nebraska as a power house program. If the math adds up, ever since they have been alive, we have been basically irrelevant on the National stage. Kids want to win, kids want to dream of NFL.  This program needs to win. It is a vicious cycle.  In-state or not, the past and history means squat.  Relationships!  

• Mavric changed the title to WR Keagan Johnson [Iowa - Signed LOI]