Implications of Game Tomorrow Night

MCMSmith

"Experts" believe OSU is in with a win or a loss. Most believe with conviction OSU best represents the BIG even with a Wisconsin win. Nobody in the media remotely considers the lowly Badgers in the CFP even with a win this weekend. Yet, the Badgers are the nations highest ranked 2 loss team. It got me thinking, are we in the the most opportunistic or most difficult conference?

To think the Huskers could get 2 losses, get blown out by OSU, have a bad out of conference schedule, and lose to another mediocre BIG West team, and potentially be looking at a situation where Wisconsin is right now (yes, on the outside looking in, but nothing to cry too long about) is interesting. I know, the problem is getting to only 2 losses.

I'm hoping for chaos this weekend.

1 minute ago, MCMSmith said:

"Experts" believe OSU is in with a win or a loss. Most believe with conviction OSU best represents the BIG even with a Wisconsin win. Nobody in the media remotely considers the lowly Badgers in the CFP even with a win this weekend. Yet, the Badgers are the nations highest ranked 2 loss team. It got me thinking, are we in the the most opportunistic or most difficult conference?

To think the Huskers could get 2 losses, get blown out by OSU, have a bad out of conference schedule, and lose to another mediocre BIG West team, and potentially be looking at a situation where Wisconsin is right now (yes, on the outside looking in, but nothing to cry too long about) is interesting. I know, the problem is getting to only 2 losses.

I don't think Wisconsin is in if they beat Ohio State. Even if Oklahoma, Utah, and Georgia lost Baylor would get the nod because they only have 1 loss.

1 hour ago, MCMSmith said:

No 2 loss team has made it yet, and there will be a minimum of 4 0/1 loss teams remaining even with absolute chaos as OU and Baylor play.  So no, Wisconsin will not be getting in even if they beat OSU.

I'd be shocked if OSU doesn't win by 4 TDs + again.  I'm thinking closer to 59-0. 

• Plus1 1

Another random thought:

It's interesting to think that we thought we had an easier schedule because our hard games Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio state were at home and our "easier games" were away.  But if you knew we were going to lose to all of them anyway, the easier schedule would have been to play Purdue & Colorado at home and those losses to be away.  

• Plus1 3

The only way I could see a 2 loss team really deserving to be in it is if both losses were to really good teams where the margin of defeat was small.

Ohio State is arguably the best team in the country, but Wisconsin didn't even play them close. Then they also lost to 6-6 Illinois in an ugly game where they let Illinois hang around due to their own turnovers.

Wisconsin doesn't and shouldn't have any chance.

As it has been already said, Wisconsin has absolutely zero shot because they are a two loss team.  I'm of the opinion that Ohio State, Clemson, and LSU are already in the playoff regardless if they lose their CC games.  I think the Big 12 gets left out this year.  The fourth spot could very well set in motion an expanded playoff.  If Utah wins and is left out with a Georgia victory, I don't think this will set well. 

If a 2 loss Alabama isn't getting a sniff, then nobody else with two losses will.

Also - don't believe that the Buckeyes would be in either way.  The CFP committee is doing everything humanly possible to get as many SEC teams into the playoff as possible.  If LSU loses, they don't drop below 4th.  If Georgia loses, and either OU or Utah loses, they don't drop from 4th.

On 12/6/2019 at 2:15 PM, alexhortdog95 said:

If a 2 loss Alabama isn't getting a sniff, then nobody else with two losses will.

Also - don't believe that the Buckeyes would be in either way.  The CFP committee is doing everything humanly possible to get as many SEC teams into the playoff as possible.  If LSU loses, they don't drop below 4th.  If Georgia loses, and either OU or Utah loses, they don't drop from 4th.

Dunno. There’s something to be said about a two loss team that played in their Conference Championship game versus one that’s eating Cheetos and waiting for Selection Sunday. 

If LSU wins and OSU and Clemson were to lose somehow, that would make things interesting. You would have Oklahoma likely get in with only 1 loss and by virtue of winning their CCG.  Then OSU and Clemson also only have 1 loss, but OSU has actually beaten some good teams this year.  Clemson would not have really beaten anyone of significant in that scenario, so I could see OSU getting a bid still with Clemson fighting Wisconsin or another 2-loss team.  

Again this is an unlikely scenario as I don't see OSU losing and I doubt Clemson will lose either.

5 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

If LSU wins and OSU and Clemson were to lose somehow, that would make things interesting. You would have Oklahoma likely get in with only 1 loss and by virtue of winning their CCG.  Then OSU and Clemson also only have 1 loss, but OSU has actually beaten some good teams this year.  Clemson would not have really beaten anyone of significant in that scenario, so I could see OSU getting a bid still with Clemson fighting Wisconsin or another 2-loss team.  

Again this is an unlikely scenario as I don't see OSU losing and I doubt Clemson will lose either.

This would have been a hilariously fascinating scenario. The committee would have probably s#!t their pants.