Two Nebraska players enter NCAA Transfer Portal

r06ue1

26 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

Remember when I asked the MODS to create a feature that would automatically block me from reading some of these threads?  This one would fall into that category.   

1.  This looks bad on the University

2.  Frost sucks, we should have never hired him.  We should of hired Nick Saban, he totally would have came here.

3.  We are Nebraska, winning by 40 should always happen

4.  Back in the 90's, blah blah

Sounds like you should think about just blocking yourself from the entire forum as that list pretty much sums up this board in its entirety. :blink:

• Plus1 1

41 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I would imagine the investigation they conducted would have turned up enough evidence that an automatic belief of any of the three of them was unnecessary. A preponderance of the evidence led them to the decision they made. We don't have access to that information, so it's just about impossible for us - people on a forum - to comment with any kind of authority.

Folks on a message board have the least amount of information about things like this.

In reality we dont know what the University uncovered or who even leads such investigations. I do specifically remember there was a change under the previous Presidential administration that in good faith is trying to help out assault victims, but inadvertently created a sort of kangaroo court on campuses to determine these types of cases. These investigations are presided over by a faculty member that could have no formal training in this sort of situation, and the accused is usually too scared to ask for help therefore doesnt get legal counsel before they are determined guilty.  I don't know if that pertains to this situation or not though. 

Just for clarity, I am not saying in this instance that they didn't do it because it doesnt look good for them, and I'm certainly not saying she has any blame if they did assault her.

11 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Sounds like you should think about just blocking yourself from the entire forum as that list pretty much sums up this board in its entirety. :blink:

I know you are joking, kinda.  :)  But honestly, there are a lot of great posters here.  I am always happy to get on this board and read some interesting or funny takes on just about everything.  These hard stances on gray issues just pisses me off for some reason.    

1 hour ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

In reality we dont know what the University uncovered

Correct.

or who even leads such investigations

Tami Strickman leads such investigations. She is UNL's Title IX Coordinator.

I do specifically remember there was a change under the previous Presidential administration that in good faith is trying to help out assault victims, but inadvertently created a sort of kangaroo court on campuses to determine these types of cases. These investigations are presided over by a faculty member that could have no formal training in this sort of situation, and the accused is usually too scared to ask for help therefore doesnt get legal counsel before they are determined guilty.  I don't know if that pertains to this situation or not though. 

To the bold:  It does not.  The process you describe is not what happens, and faculty members are not involved.

Here is an explanation of the University's investigative process.

It is not a "kangaroo court," and the Title IX office has received some complaints for (allegedly) favoring the accused over victims as recently as this year. 

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Nothing PC about my comments - your attitude is why women and men do not come forward after sexual assault, when clowns like you place blame on them for what they wear, where they go, who they talked to.  

• 80% of rapes or assaults are not reported because of you and your ilk.  That's a fact.  
  • Nearly 1 in 10 women has been raped by someone she knows.   That's a fact.  
  • 1 in 5 women is raped in college.  That's a fact.
  • 1 in 16 men is sexually assaulted in college.  That's a fact.
  • Rape being reported falsely is somewhere between 2 and 10%.  That's of the 20% that are actually reported - Fact.

Calling you ignorant was kind, I was assuming you were just not aware of the facts.  It's apparent you are and have made a conscious decision so I'd choose another word now. Instead I'll make changes on my end so as not to have to be witness to your views.

I generally agree with the sentiment but the data has been skewed higher and is being treated as gospel. Some of your numbers are a gross exaggeration. I don't blame you at all as these have been told so many times people just stopped questioning them. Maybe this is better suited in a different forum but I think it is relevant here.

tl;dr The numbers are bad enough already so why do people inflate them? It just distracts from the discussion.

This is not a statement on whether the two players are right or wrong, just a missive pointing out a few issues with some generally accepted "truths" from the greater debate. Questioning the validity of numbers is not an argument that no issue exists, only to question the voracity of the claims from the data in question. That way we can have the same conversation and make progress without disagreeing on the facts.

The internet can not be trusted. Do your own research people. Please.

Here is a link to the 2019 survey the numbers are pulled from: https://www.aau.edu/sites/default/files/AAU-Files/Key-Issues/Campus-Safety/FULL_2019_Campus_Climate_Survey.pdf

"80% of rapes or assaults are not reported because of you and your ilk.  That's a fact.  "

That comes from this BJS report and is an extrapolated opinion. Unfortunately, proving a negative is notoriously difficult. At best it is an educated guess but it is certainly not a fact.

"1 in 5 women is raped in college.  That's a fact."

- That is not a fact. That is a conflation of any unwanted touching and penetration, at best, from the 2015 version of this survey. The numbers are up a bit in the 2019 iteration over 2015. 15.3% reported unwanted touching, 10% reported unwanted penetration or an attempt at such (this is interesting only because it is the only time an 'unsuccessful attempt' is mentioned in the data set that I could find. 2.5% of female respondents were in both categories. 

The numbers from the BJS across all sexual assault categories for that age range is actually 6.1/1000 per year from 1995-2013, including men and women. Even if that is only 20% of actual (given the claim of 80% unreported) then you are at 30.5/1000. You would still need another 656% increase to make it to 200/1000. This is simply an absurd claim. 

"Nearly 1 in 10 women has been raped by someone she knows.   That's a fact. "

- That is not a fact. Perhaps this is just poorly worded. The majority (~85% of respondents) are victims of someone they know. So I am left to believe we have abandoned the college scope and entered the US as a whole. The current reported US rape rates are about 2.1(female age 12+) per 1000 in a given year, and has been trending down for decades. This makes things much more difficult as focusing on what has happened in a roughly 4 year window and opens up a whole can of worms. Using 2010 census data there are 117282036 women over 18. We have sexual assault data for 12+ but no census data for 12+. Using the 12+ number would only strengthen the 1 in 10 argument. Also using the assault BJS data from 1990 of 3/1000 ( worst number in the past 30 years I could find that wasn't estimated), and multiplying by 5 to grant the 80% argument, it would still take almost 67 years to hit 10% of the eligible population assuming no duplicates in the data. That does indicate a possibility that 1 in 10 women (over 18) may be raped in their lives. This is where most people just stop looking. But we can't forget that includes rape and unwanted touching numbers. The majority of those numbers are unwanted touching independent of rape. To err high I will assume half of those claims are rape. That changes it to 1 in 20 that a woman might be raped. Then, using the college survey, we can use ~85% having known their attacker, the number supporting that statement change to 1 in 26. That is the most favorable number I can come up with to support the statement "Nearly 1 in 10 women has been raped by someone she knows." and it is very generous.

Getting back to the college survey...

To me the most interesting part of the survey analysis being ignored was table A4.5 (Apendix 4-18). This table analyzed "Direction of non-response bias according to analysis of incentive groups for 10 outcome measures, by gender and affiliation status". It isn't made tangible in the result set but it is mathematically significant.

- Penetration by Physical Force or Inability to Consent. There is one significant difference. The difference for undergraduate females is negative, indicating the survey estimates is too high.

- Penetration or Sexual Touching without Ongoing Consent. There is one significant difference. The difference for undergraduate females is negative, indicating the survey estimates is too high.

- Intimate Partner Violence. There is two significant difference. The differences for undergraduate males and females are negative, indicating the survey estimates are too high.

Hopefully this was appreciated.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Correct.

To the bold:  It does not.  The process you describe is not what happens, and faculty members are not involved.

It is not a "kangaroo court," and the Title IX office has received some complaints for (allegedly) favoring the accused over victims as recently as this year. 

Two things after reading the university’s policy for investigations, albeit difficult on my phone. First, the university did not punish players with its most severe punishment- permanent expulsion. Second- I read on the student code of conduct component that the university has a right or obligation-not sure which- to notify the police and file a compliant if the action is thought to be criminal. Would this be public? Or can she refuse to press charges? 

10 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Appears there are some due process issues around the country

https://helpsaveoursons.com/category/fighting-back/

Duke Lacrosse 30 for 30 is a decent watch too

Interesting read for me. I’m a district compliance coordinator for federal programs with a mild interest in other ci  rights areas. I’ve been to a due process hearing once and found the whole process pretty interesting. 

2 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Does this mean someone picked him up from the portal? 

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Correct.

Tami Strickman seems more than qualified. Probably should have just looked that up before assuming.  In the link it states: 

"The Conduct Officer and Conduct Board can hear any allegations of any other violations of the Student Code of Conduct in addition to allegations of sexual misconduct that are directly related to the alleged sexual misconduct."

Not sure who the conduct officer would be but the conduct board looks to be made of faculty and students from what I can see.  The kangaroo court line I think came off harsher than I meant but I couldn't think of the right term. I'm sure this all varies school to school by a lot also.  I couldn't get through all of it to see who the burden of proof lays upon in this instance either. Since these types of cases are hard to prove for any party the burden of proof puts that party at a big disadvantage right away. 

50 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Tami Strickman seems more than qualified. Probably should have just looked that up before assuming.  In the link it states: 

"The Conduct Officer and Conduct Board can hear any allegations of any other violations of the Student Code of Conduct in addition to allegations of sexual misconduct that are directly related to the alleged sexual misconduct."

Not sure who the conduct officer would be but the conduct board looks to be made of faculty and students from what I can see.  The kangaroo court line I think came off harsher than I meant but I couldn't think of the right term. I'm sure this all varies school to school by a lot also.  I couldn't get through all of it to see who the burden of proof lays upon in this instance either. Since these types of cases are hard to prove for any party the burden of proof puts that party at a big disadvantage right away. 

That’s the way I read to- but sexual allegations would seemed to be out of the scope of the student population. I would need a hard copy of the manual to read it correctly

And just guessing here- maybe the student council members leaked the investigation details. A reach for sure, but that breach of confidentiality bothers me. Very damaging to the victim.