Nebraska- a desireable job

Over the last 2 decades one pet peeve of mine is that whenever the current coach at the time isn't succeeding (to expectations) and some fans start clamoring for changes the rebuttle is always no one would want to coach at nebraska or no one could succeed at nebraska.

We need to give frost a chance to get this done, but if in a couple years the results are not there, I hope we stop hearing this.

Nebraska out-recruits all of its divisional opponents nearly every year. 

Nebraska can pay more than most coaching jobs. 

Nebraska has more history/tradition than most schools.

Nebraska's facilities (especially with the upgrade) are amongst the best. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Boy of the Corn said:

Unrelated to the point of your post, I think this is a safe assertion: If and when Frost implements a culture in his program where the two-deep roster on both the offensive and defensive lines live and die by following their offseason weightlifting schedule that Duvall creates, we'll be right there competing for West titles.

We have and are bringing in the skill position guys. But the overall quality and development of our lines hasn't been good enough for it to matter. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Boy of the Corn said:

Over the last 2 decades one pet peeve of mine is that whenever the current coach at the time isn't succeeding (to expectations) and some fans start clamoring for changes the rebuttle is always no one would want to coach at nebraska or no one could succeed at nebraska.

We need to give frost a chance to get this done, but if in a couple years the results are not there, I hope we stop hearing this.

The first bolded has already been answered.  Frost was the most sought after coach a couple of years ago, and we got him.  People can argue whether we get him if he wasn't from here, but we did get him.  With respect to the second bolded part, what is your definition of succeed?  If what Bo did here wasn't deemed successful, then at this point this is true.  No one has won even a conference championship since 99'. 

4 hours ago, Boy of the Corn said:

But our administration and fanbase expects more than winning the division. So what?

TCU, South Carolina, Northwestern, South Florida, Iowa and Kentucky all pay their coaches about the same as Frost gets paid. 'Most' coaching jobs have the same potential for money earning as Nebraska does if you're good.

The only thing this benefits a coach is in recruiting. Other than that, it might even be a net negative. History/tradition also means pressure and high expectations. It's way easier to coach in a place that doesn't have super high expectations, or a place that does but actually has the ability to maintain them.

Again, only thing this really does is help with recruiting. I can't imagine coaches care that much about facilities other than having a shiny toy to sell to high school kids, and having a comfy couch to sleep on in the office :lol:

Reality is, we have expectations to match other blue blood schools but we don't have the ability to match them in recruiting. That makes it a tough job, with high expectations, and a much more difficult path to success. Any coach that's good enough would rather choose PSU/tOSU/Mich/Bama/Auburn/FSU/USC/so on and so forth over Nebraska because recruiting is much easier and the road to success is much easier.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, SFW said:

If Frost wants more time...no more losing seasons.  

Very easy...win games you should.

Stop blaming and making excuses.

GBR!!

Moos is with him and saying "..three, four, or five seasons of recruiting should get the program back to where it should be," etc.  

Sometimes he sounds to me like he's talking to his boss, the one who signs his paychecks.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

But our administration and fanbase expects more than winning the division. So what?

TCU, South Carolina, Northwestern, South Florida, Iowa and Kentucky all pay their coaches about the same as Frost gets paid. 'Most' coaching jobs have the same potential for money earning as Nebraska does if you're good.

The only thing this benefits a coach is in recruiting. Other than that, it might even be a net negative. History/tradition also means pressure and high expectations. It's way easier to coach in a place that doesn't have super high expectations, or a place that does but actually has the ability to maintain them.

Again, only thing this really does is help with recruiting. I can't imagine coaches care that much about facilities other than having a shiny toy to sell to high school kids, and having a comfy couch to sleep on in the office :lol:

Reality is, we have expectations to match other blue blood schools but we don't have the ability to match them in recruiting. That makes it a tough job, with high expectations, and a much more difficult path to success. Any coach that's good enough would rather choose PSU/tOSU/Mich/Bama/Auburn/FSU/USC/so on and so forth over Nebraska because recruiting is much easier and the road to success is much easier.

I agree with this. And Frost being a former NU player certainly was a big factor in him coming to Nebraska. With that said, despite the the location with less population, cold weather, and the greater challenge of recruiting, the Husker job after the 1997 season with TO retiring was very desirable. It was probably in the top five then. There would had been several really good coaches who would had wanted that job. And BC had proven you can recruit top 10 talent to Nebraska, which he achieved in is second recruiting class. And he had another top 10 class brewing until it became clear Billy C would get fired. Hopefully Frost turns this program around, and this job becomes desirable again. But of course with success, I would expect Frost to be here for a long time. 

2 hours ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Moos is with him and saying "..three, four, or five seasons of recruiting should get the program back to where it should be," etc.  

Sometimes he sounds to me like he's talking to his boss, the one who signs his paychecks.

I sure he is.  

Moos’s bosses won’t be happy for long though, if they’re seeing an empty stadium and no bowl game.  They will pull the plug.

• Plus1 1