Glad no staff movement this offseason

BoNeyard

Seeing all these coordinators moving around and/or getting fired, I am glad Nebraska has stayed put and Frost hasn't made any changes to his staff. I think this will go well for us in the coming weeks and months as we close in on our recruiting class and obviously as we build the current players that are already on roster. How nice for these assistant coaches to know Frost has their back and ultimately, the athletic department isn't pulling strings and telling Frost what needs to happen. There is trust within the Nebraska athletic department and that is huge, not only for when you're trying to build/rebuild something, but simply just doing your job.

Sure results haven't been there right now, but continuity is a big thing and go a long way in both getting players and sustaining success once it arrives. Maybe it's the headline I saw where Brohm, at Purdue, had to make the tough decision to let go one of his long time assistants in his defensive coordinator. Brohm has only been at Purdue for three years, and has taken the Boilermakers to two bowl games in his three years. Sure Purdue didn't have a great third year under Brohm, but that had to do more with the injuries to key players on offense then his defensive coordinator. Nonetheless, it must have been difficult for him to make the decision to fire his long time assistant. Brohm and Holt's relationship mirrors Frost's and Chinander's in a lot of ways, and I am sure soon there will be a comment that although it was a tough decision to let go of a long time loyal assistant, Brohm made the tough decision that was needed to try and move the program forward. But again, I sort of find the decision to cut Holt more than just Brohm trying to take a step forward with the program, because it wasn't the defenses fault Purdue failed to make a bowl game in Brohm's third year. Brohm may have felt pressure from higher ups that he felt like he needed to make a change, which seems outrageous given his high salary and the fact he has built the program in competitiveness.

The other thing that made me realize it's nice this staff stayed put was the recruiting visit of Frost and coaches going pheasant hunting in South Dakota. I don't know, but that is a cool story and for that recruit, like many recruits, they are committing to a staff that is going to be their family for at least the next 4-5 years and they are going to build a home away from home. It must be nice for a recruit to know the coaching staff is going to be there. Sure, coordinators and assistances leaving or being fired has been the way of the land for the business since forever, but seeing that article made me realize that continuity is a great thing for a young athlete making a huge decision. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

Anyone seen Walters in the last month? Haven't seen a recruit tweet they've seen him. 

We're visiting top WR targets, and bring Frost, Held, and Mario... 

IMO, there will be staff movement this offseason. 

Maybe....but i like the OP.  Continuity is needed, and helps drastically with recruiting and all around.  Even if one of your assistants is underperforming, you never know if the guy you bring in will be better or worse.  

• Plus1 2

42 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

That's the same argument people used for keeping riley.

I agree. We can't be afraid to make necessary staff changes because we worry it will affect recruiting. Poor performance on the field will affect recruiting, and if an assistant coach is not getting results, replacing that assistant should be a priority over worrying about what impact a staff change will have on a prospective recruit. If the recruit likes the Nebraska program and is analyzing the full situation he will realize the staff move may be to his benefit in the long run.

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree. We can't be afraid to make necessary staff changes because we worry it will affect recruiting. Poor performance on the field will affect recruiting, and if an assistant coach is not getting results, replacing that assistant should be a priority over worrying about what impact a staff change will have on a prospective recruit. If the recruit likes the Nebraska program and is analyzing the full situation he will realize the staff move may be to his benefit in the long run.

I agree to a point, and I think most fans do. The disagreement is just around whether specific assistants should be fired yet. And I get the point about people using continuity as an excuse for Riley, but his staffing change was the worst move in his tenure, which is saying something. 

2 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

Maybe....but i like the OP.  Continuity is needed, and helps drastically with recruiting and all around.  Even if one of your assistants is underperforming, you never know if the guy you bring in will be better or worse.  

I like to pretend the world is at peace and no kid goes to bed hungry. Doesn't make it true. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

Anyone seen Walters in the last month? Haven't seen a recruit tweet they've seen him. 

We're visiting top WR targets, and bring Frost, Held, and Mario... 

IMO, there will be staff movement this offseason. 

IDK what all he's been up to but thought I saw Walters was doing an in home with Omar this week (or maybe already did?). Considering our WR situation I can't imagine he's not extremely busy recruiting.

• Plus1 1

Held, Ruud, and Dewitt were far shakier coaches than Walters.  Verduzco somehow escapes criticism when QB development was said to be lacking.  (Our backups were exaggerated to  be ill prepared to play as an excuse to never bench Martinez.)  Nobody really leaned on Tuioti for the defensive line regressing mid-season.  If anyone had a target on their back it was Chinander.  Early on it was Austin painted as a scapegoat.

At this point nobody expects any replacements.

• Plus1 1