Glad no staff movement this offseason

BoNeyard

50 minutes ago, TheBigRed1 said:

I said it once and i'll keep saying it "consistency, consistency thou art a jewel"; and I don't care what this millennial, X, Y, Z whatever generation thinks and that is "I want it all and I want it now"!; would love it to be so but it's not reality. In fact that is a recipe for perpetual football purgatory.  

Iowa will probably never be what we were and what we are striving to get back to but they are a decent football program and have had some good years because they knew their best opportunity for success was to stay the course once set and therefor their players are playing in the same system for 4 to 5 years and don't think they haven't had to make adjustments as experience dictated. 

Scott is a winner, has always been a winner, winners win and odds are he is exactly what we thought he was when we hired him, a winner. STAY THE COURSE!!!! 

Couldn't agree more

Haven’t read through the thread so maybe someone else has said, but I think the great that we’ll become is a reflection of Moos confident leadership. We ran an almost 20 year period of firing coaches or their assistants to mollify the fans. It’s time to hold the rope right now. Firings have gotten us nowhere good. 

• Fire 1
16 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

The lack of instincts (and ability) at LB KILLED this team the last half of the year. 

Minnesota - Fleck was as blunt as could be. They planned to get the line moving sideways and had confidence the LBs wouldn't fit right. It worked. 

Indiana - constantly isolated Philyor on our LBs and killed us thru the air. 

The coaches seem to know this as they're going hard at a ton of LBs. But I don't think it's fair to pass final judgement on Chins yet. The players need some consistency in coaching.

I'd love to just assume it's the players but I IMO that's not the case.  Don't think it's a coincidence that our poorest performing position is coached by a total newb and the guy who runs our underwhelming ST's. Neither would have their job at another P5 program, same goes for Chin for that matter but at least he has shown some improvement.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, Danimal said:

I'd love to just assume it's the players but I IMO that's not the case.  Don't think it's a coincidence that our poorest performing position is coached by a total newb and the guy who runs our underwhelming ST's. Neither would have their job at another P5 program, same goes for Chin for that matter but at least he has shown some improvement.

Ruud and Dewitt will both be around, probably for a long time.  So I guess we can complain about it every day or hope that better talent in place will help.

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Ruud and Dewitt will both be around, probably for a long time.  So I guess we can complain about it every day or hope that better talent in place will help.

No amount of talent can overcome unsound coaching.  Great talent can do wonders with even mediocre coaching, but not unsound coaching.  Ruud left Barry out there in a bad position he could never be successful in and didn't figure it out until Iowa.  But by then it was too late.  So I'm hoping Ruud figures out this coaching thing before the whole ship sinks.  You are only as good as your weakest link and those two guys are broken links until they prove otherwise.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

18 minutes ago, madrat said:

No amount of talent can overcome unsound coaching.  Great talent can do wonders with even mediocre coaching, but not unsound coaching.  Ruud left Barry out there in a bad position he could never be successful in and didn't figure it out until Iowa.  But by then it was too late.  So I'm hoping Ruud figures out this coaching thing before the whole ship sinks.  You are only as good as your weakest link and those two guys are broken links until they prove otherwise.

You're right.....great talent can do wonders.

18 hours ago, TheSker said:

Ruud is only in his second year of coaching,  may well be he just needs more experience. DeWitt has been coaching a long time. With him I think we are stuck hoping he gets enough talent to make him look good. 

13 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

13-23 in the last 3 years and we are about to do back to back top 20 classes. Imagine what happens when we start winning 

Yep, that's obviously the key.  They need to start showing results on the field.  But, recruiting wouldn't be as good to get the good players to have that success if every year we are turning over coaching staff.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep, that's obviously the key.  They need to start showing results on the field.  But, recruiting wouldn't be as good to get the good players to have that success if every year we are turning over coaching staff.

Oh yes I completely agree! Just amazing what these guys have been able to accomplish. Its absolutely insane that people question their recruiting prowess. These guys are the best recruiters we have had since Y2K, by a good margin imo

• Plus1 2

Great talent and recruiting are big, no denying that or arguing it.  You put better players on a roster and you SHOULD have better things happen.  But......look at how bad Texas has been with the talent they get every year.  It is just hard to stomach that we have such a green staff, from the head coach on down.  I guess our multi-decade dumpster fire has allowed for us to be a program to learn at and then move along instead of being the program where we pick up the best.   There may be some guys on staff who will turn out to be pretty good, but Im not sold on that yet and I am going to reserve those thoughts for when we actually put a winning season together (whenever that may be).  Some may find it hard to admit, but coaching probably was directly responsible for 2-3 losses this year.  That means that our coaching has to improve, even if we get better talent.  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2