Glad no staff movement this offseason

BoNeyard

From everything I'm hearing, the plan was to move Dewitt on regardless. Frost is allowing him to find a new job so 1.) no buyout and 2.) to be a good guy and not make it look like Dewitt was fired. This seems to be a foregone conclusion that this is going to happen according to the HuskerOnline guys. Two names to watch according to them, Mike Dawson returning and Mike Ekeler. Sean Callahan said we should be hearing something about this in the coming days

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

57 minutes ago, Sker4Ever said:

From everything I'm hearing, the plan was to move Dewitt on regardless. Frost is allowing him to find a new job so 1.) no buyout and 2.) to be a good guy and not make it look like Dewitt was fired. This seems to be a foregone conclusion that this is going to happen according to the HuskerOnline guys. Two names to watch according to them, Mike Dawson returning and Mike Ekeler. Sean Callahan said we should be hearing something about this in the coming days

Big if true 

54 minutes ago, Sker4Ever said:

Should be announced if everything goes through in the coming days. Sounds like all signs point to Mike Dawson returning

Dawson coaches OLB? That'll be interesting for Tuioti having the guy he replaced come back.  Who coaches ST then? Are we just down a dedicated ST coord then or can Dawson do that too?

5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Dawson coaches OLB? That'll be interesting for Tuioti having the guy he replaced come back.  Who coaches ST then? Are we just down a dedicated ST coord then or can Dawson do that too?

Most assistant coaches can handle multiple positions. There isn’t much difference between OLB and D-alone, if Dawson comes back to NU. He and Tuioti can possibly tag-team the front 5 and leave the MLB’s to Ruud.

Regarding special teams, while Dewitt was the ST lead, he wasn’t necessarily the ST coordinator. I wonder if Frost may look to have a dedicated ST coordinator in the near future. 

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Most assistant coaches can handle multiple positions. There isn’t much difference between OLB and D-alone, if Dawson comes back to NU. He and Tuioti can possibly tag-team the front 5 and leave the MLB’s to Ruud.

Regarding special teams, while Dewitt was the ST lead, he wasn’t necessarily the ST coordinator. I wonder if Frost may look to have a dedicated ST coordinator in the near future. 

Can't bring Dawson back AND hire a ST coordinator is what I'm poking at.  That would be too many assistants and we'd still have a problem with special teams.   So,  someone would have double duty as you say, with their spot and ST. Wonder who?

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

Can't bring Dawson back AND hire a ST coordinator is what I'm poking at.  That would be too many assistants and we'd still have a problem with special teams.   So,  someone would have double duty as you say, with their spot and ST. Wonder who?

I agree, so there has to be either another assistant leaving or they will split the special teams across multiple coaches. 

8 hours ago, runningblind said:

Dawson coached OLBs for the Giants and LBs at multiple schools. He also was ST coach for BC, so he might just take on both. 

8 hours ago, runningblind said:

Crap.  By the time I spewed out my long winded post.  The knife had already succintly addressed my point....

From Dawson's resume it looks like he has experience coaching DL,OLB and 3 years Special teams at BC so he could be the point guy on special teams but get help from the other coaches for the various units.   He also has 2 years experience as a defensive Coordinator.  Tuioto also has a bit of OLB coaching experience  so he could possibly swap with Dawson too.   Personally I like Dawson as the OLB guy.  I also think Held could do special teams as he has experience as an offensive coordinator/head coach. 

Correct me if I am wrong but the big thing about special teams is mostly the coordination?  I don't think there is a ton of individual technique that has to be taught there.  I would think punters/place kickers/long snappers know their technique already and there is not much individual work for the other players.    Am I off base?  Also we have a grad assistant Colby Ellis that can help out with special teams. 

Dawson Bio...  

1998 (spring)              University of Massachusetts Lowell    defensive line

1998                           University of Maine                                   defensive assistant

1999                           University of Pittsburgh                            graduate assistant

2000                           University of New Hampshire                  linebackers

2001                          University of New Hampshire                   defensive line

2002-03                      University of New Hampshire                  linebackers

2004-05                      University of New Hampshire                 DC/linebackers

2006-08                      University of Akron                                    linebackers

2009-11                      Boston College                                           special teams

2013                           Philadelphia Eagles                                    defensive quality control

2014-15                      Philadelphia Eagles                                    assistant defensive line

2016-17                      University of Central Florida                     defensive line

2018                           University of Nebraska                               defensive line

2019                           New York Giants                                          outside linebackers

The Special Teams coordinator’s main job is to figure out which players he wants to have on the special teams units, making sure those players know their responsibilities, and executing the specific special teams play (punt left, punt right, kickoff deep, pooch kickoff, onside kick, etc.). The special teams coach isn’t coaching the technique of the kickers and punters, unless something is wrong, and even then they are basically just helping the kickers look at film of their technique. The kickers are like golfers, in that they own their “swing” and have outside coaches who help them fine tune that “swing”. 

• Plus1 1