Glad no staff movement this offseason

BoNeyard

Seems that next week will have a lot of action. The prevailing thought from Rivals guys is that we are somewhat waiting to announce all 3 staff changes at the same time. Dawson is a certain done deal according to a few people now, Walters is moving on and it sounds like Mickey Joseph is the target to come replace him. A thought from the Rivals guys is that Held is Run Game Coordinator and Joseph is Pass game coordinator. The 3rd move is most likely Beckton as many have guessed. However, they are saying that Frost has done a great job keeping these moves tight lipped as a site like FootballScoop would be all over this, and they are not.

I agree with most points of view.  I was personally a little worried about Frost bringing the entire staff.  What works at certain levels, doesn't work at others.  We see that at the High School level.  With that said, I understood why.  He wanted security, continuity while not only installing his philosophy and schemes, but at the same time, trying to develop relationships and buy in with 150 student athletes. He was also very loyal to the guys who helped him achieve success and awards.  He probably wanted to make sure they all had employment when he got his promotion.

Now that he is established, he has to re-evaluate the effectiveness of his staff.  The one major mistake that a few former coaches made, were that they were too loyal to staff and refused to change.  Now, these guys may be moving on at their own accord, so I may be talking non-sense, but Frost probably is seeing that we may be lacking in certain areas, and that in order to be where we wants to be, time to upgrade !

12 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I didnt say any factor. I just think most of these kids are committing to Frost. If we had a different OC or Receivers coach I dont think most of these kids would mind. Thats just my opinion- I know nothing. But I think they are sold on the vision of Frost and his offense. I just think if Walters was so important to recruiting he would have been at all the in home photos from the recruits the last month at (Closing Time)

I think reality is somewhere in between.  Now, the wild card is that if Walters is leaving, it's possible that has been known for some time so they might have even told recruits that and purposely left him out of the bigger recruiting picture.

3 minutes ago, Sker4Ever said:

Seems that next week will have a lot of action. The prevailing thought from Rivals guys is that we are somewhat waiting to announce all 3 staff changes at the same time. Dawson is a certain done deal according to a few people now, Walters is moving on and it sounds like Mickey Joseph is the target to come replace him. A thought from the Rivals guys is that Held is Run Game Coordinator and Joseph is Pass game coordinator. The 3rd move is most likely Beckton as many have guessed. However, they are saying that Frost has done a great job keeping these moves tight lipped as a site like FootballScoop would be all over this, and they are not.

I would support all of this and it would be a great momentum builder going into Spring Camp.

I just don’t see Mickey Joseph coming unless we are giving him a HUGE raise.  He is basically coaching in his hometown, and could be next in line to take over if/when Joe Brady leaves LSU for a HC gig.

Helfrich (if he is coming as an asst and not an analyst) makes the most sense to replace Walters.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
33 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I just don’t see Mickey Joseph coming unless we are giving him a HUGE raise.  He is basically coaching in his hometown, and could be next in line to take over if/when Joe Brady leaves LSU for a HC gig.

• Thanks 1

Looking back on the season Walters potential move should come as no surprise. Every time someone asked questions about Adrian and his play Frost would almost always deflect and put the blame on the O-Line and more importantly the WR's. Constantly saying they were running wrong routes, not being where they were supposed to be, etc. That's on Walters and sounds like there could have been some disconnect between him and his WR's. 

I'm fine with replacing the 3  - new ideas come wt new faces.  These coaches have been together for 4 years.  What worked at UCF may not work (most likely won't work) in the Big 10.  Diversity of thought is a good thing - it is up to the HC to bring that diversity into one good working system.

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Helfrich (if he is coming as an asst and not an analyst) makes the most sense to replace Walters.

Walters and Beckton are done. Helfrich and Mickey Joesph are the leading candidates. 

Sorry, no link 

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If there are 3 openings, wonder if it will be a straight position for position swap. Or could TEs be grouped with WR, then have stand alone OLB and ST coaches?

There's a gentleman currently on the Nebraska payroll with tight end experience that you may see get back on staff in that capacity. 

• Plus1 1