Glad no staff movement this offseason

BoNeyard

Walters, if he’s in fact leaving, was not most interesting as far as pressers etc.  and the output by his WR group was not overly impressive.  Especially in ‘19.  Morgan was already good so ‘18 gave a wrong indication. We had more recruiting “stars” in that room than anywhere but got less than stellar results for two years.  Our QBs are better throwers but no WR is anywhere near being what we need.  They have speed but don’t get open - none of them really.  

• Plus1 1
On 12/9/2019 at 6:45 PM, BoNeyard said:

Seeing all these coordinators moving around and/or getting fired, I am glad Nebraska has stayed put and Frost hasn't made any changes to his staff. I think this will go well for us in the coming weeks and months as we close in on our recruiting class and obviously as we build the current players that are already on roster. How nice for these assistant coaches to know Frost has their back and ultimately, the athletic department isn't pulling strings and telling Frost what needs to happen. There is trust within the Nebraska athletic department and that is huge, not only for when you're trying to build/rebuild something, but simply just doing your job.

Sure results haven't been there right now, but continuity is a big thing and go a long way in both getting players and sustaining success once it arrives. Maybe it's the headline I saw where Brohm, at Purdue, had to make the tough decision to let go one of his long time assistants in his defensive coordinator. Brohm has only been at Purdue for three years, and has taken the Boilermakers to two bowl games in his three years. Sure Purdue didn't have a great third year under Brohm, but that had to do more with the injuries to key players on offense then his defensive coordinator. Nonetheless, it must have been difficult for him to make the decision to fire his long time assistant. Brohm and Holt's relationship mirrors Frost's and Chinander's in a lot of ways, and I am sure soon there will be a comment that although it was a tough decision to let go of a long time loyal assistant, Brohm made the tough decision that was needed to try and move the program forward. But again, I sort of find the decision to cut Holt more than just Brohm trying to take a step forward with the program, because it wasn't the defenses fault Purdue failed to make a bowl game in Brohm's third year. Brohm may have felt pressure from higher ups that he felt like he needed to make a change, which seems outrageous given his high salary and the fact he has built the program in competitiveness.

The other thing that made me realize it's nice this staff stayed put was the recruiting visit of Frost and coaches going pheasant hunting in South Dakota. I don't know, but that is a cool story and for that recruit, like many recruits, they are committing to a staff that is going to be their family for at least the next 4-5 years and they are going to build a home away from home. It must be nice for a recruit to know the coaching staff is going to be there. Sure, coordinators and assistances leaving or being fired has been the way of the land for the business since forever, but seeing that article made me realize that continuity is a great thing for a young athlete making a huge decision. 

Maybe should have waited a month 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Walters, if he’s in fact leaving, was not most interesting as far as pressers etc.  and the output by his WR group was not overly impressive.  Especially in ‘19.  Morgan was already good so ‘18 gave a wrong indication. We had more recruiting “stars” in that room than anywhere but got less than stellar results for two years.  Our QBs are better throwers but no WR is anywhere near being what we need.  They have speed but don’t get open - none of them really.  

I mean we've hired a new coach in his spot and he has said his goodbyes via twitter so I think I can say with confidence him leaving is in fact a fact 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2