Saban vs Osborne article

TGHusker

I think everyone should be happy they placed him that high.  It is the fact that he did so well over the last 5 years of coaching that he is that high.  

I think he should get credit for being consistently great over a long long period of time in an area of the country that is not talent rich. 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

He is ranked 46th........ESPN is big mad Urban is at Fox is my takeaway 

Okay. Now that's weird. If you look at Urban Meyer from Bowling Green to Utah to Florida to Ohio State, he out-coaches virtually everyone above him. 

Maybe they think Urban still has a chapter in him, or that 17 seasons isn't a full body of work.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

The 255 wins in 25 years is sick

Saban is one recovered onside kick from us talking about Clemson winning 3 in a row.

But Saban still has more rings.

Not to take away from Saban's championships but Okla State should have been playing LSU the year Bama got the rematch wt LSU after losing to them earlier in the year.  Okie State got robbed of the chance to play for the NC - they were undefeated until they lost to Iowa State by a field goal a day after that OSU plane crash that killed the girls basketball coach and several others. 

dedhoarse  YES To beat a dead horse, Tom got robbed of a NC at Penn State in 82 and with the bad official calls in 93 vs FSU in the NC game. Plus I think most other coaches would have gone for the tie to lock up the NC in 83.  Tom went for the win.   In my mind, I still see him as a 6 win NC coach and probably would have had 2 more if he stayed around 5 more years  ( I think 99 and 2000 or 2001 turn out different).

I'm sure he does not  lose any sleep over it - it is one of those 'candy and nuts' things - the what ifs.  Of course there are probably a  lot of what ifs for other programs too.  But you have to be consistently good for a 'what if ' to be a reasonable 'what if' .. if you know what I mean Vern.

Honestly, I don't think TO is even the greatest coach at UNL.  I'd put Bob Devaney higher.  He's the one that resurrected the program.  Everyone always wants to ask the question about how many NCs TO would have won had he not retired when he did.  I've always wanted to know how many more the Bobfather would have won had he not retired when he did?  Devaney inherited a program that had just endured seven consecutive losing seasons.  TO inherited a program that had won two NCs in the three years before he took over.  Without having Devaney, we more than likely never have TO.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Honestly, I don't think TO is even the greatest coach at UNL.  I'd put Bob Devaney higher.  He's the one that resurrected the program.  Everyone always wants to ask the question about how many NCs TO would have won had he not retired when he did.  I've always wanted to know how many more the Bobfather would have won had he not retired when he did?  Devaney inherited a program that had just endured seven consecutive losing seasons.  TO inherited a program that had won two NCs in the three years before he took over.  Without having Devaney, we more than likely never have TO.  

True - the Bobfather was the foundation of it all.  I think Tom gets the nod because of longevity.  Another 'what if'  - what if Bob had stayed around for another 6-8 years as coach.  Maybe OU never gets the chance to develop sooner magic as Devaney beats those early Switzer teams. 

50 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Okay. Now that's weird. If you look at Urban Meyer from Bowling Green to Utah to Florida to Ohio State, he out-coaches virtually everyone above him. 

Maybe they think Urban still has a chapter in him, or that 17 seasons isn't a full body of work.  

Not an Urban Meyer fan at all, but he should be at least top 10.  

• Fire 1

43 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Not to take away from Saban's championships but Okla State should have been playing LSU the year Bama got the rematch wt LSU after losing to them earlier in the year.  Okie State got robbed of the chance to play for the NC - they were undefeated until they lost to Iowa State by a field goal a day after that OSU plane crash that killed the girls basketball coach and several others. 

dedhoarse  YES To beat a dead horse, Tom got robbed of a NC at Penn State in 82 and with the bad official calls in 93 vs FSU in the NC game. Plus I think most other coaches would have gone for the tie to lock up the NC in 83.  Tom went for the win.   In my mind, I still see him as a 6 win NC coach and probably would have had 2 more if he stayed around 5 more years  ( I think 99 and 2000 or 2001 turn out different).

I'm sure he does not  lose any sleep over it - it is one of those 'candy and nuts' things - the what ifs.  Of course there are probably a  lot of what ifs for other programs too.  But you have to be consistently good for a 'what if ' to be a reasonable 'what if' .. if you know what I mean Vern.

I  think you have to look at historically how the season's played out.  Sabin has won all of his championships either in a playoff or when 1 and 2 were matched up.  TO didn't get that scenario.  In 83' Nebraska doesn't even play Miami if  they are matching 1 and 2.  In 82' Nebraska and Penn St. are playing again for the NC.  In 96' Maybe Nebraska is #4 team in a 4 team playoff.  In 1999 Nebraska is in a 4 team playoff.   

1 minute ago, NUinID said:

I  think you have to look at historically how the season's played out.  Sabin has won all of his championships either in a playoff or when 1 and 2 were matched up.  TO didn't get that scenario.  In 83' Nebraska doesn't even play Miami if  they are matching 1 and 2.  In 82' Nebraska and Penn St. are playing again for the NC.  In 96' Maybe Nebraska is #4 team in a 4 team playoff.  In 1999 Nebraska is in a 4 team playoff.   

Yes different times - so it is hard to compare apples to apples. 

3 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Don't forget that TO took over in 69' as OC and the offense slowly turned into a juggernaut lifitng us to 2 NC 

• Plus1 1