Saban vs Osborne article

TGHusker

10 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

You're joking right? The state of Alabama alone produces way more talent than any state near us and its alot easier to get a kid to come from Georgia or Louisiana to Tuscaloosa than you are making it out to be. That is a car trip. Getting to the midwest is either an extremely long drive or more likely a flight. 

You ain't wrong

The campus is in BFE Snoozerville.  It makes Lincoln look like the big city.

2019 Tuscaloosa isn't all that different from early to mid-90's Lincoln, and 2019 UA has a significantly larger student enrollment than 2019 UNL.  Students may not stay in Tuscaloosa after they graduate, but getting them to come isn't a problem.

As for recruiting proximity, New Orleans, Nashville, and Atlanta are all within a 4 hour drive from Tuscaloosa.

• Plus1 1
On 12/11/2019 at 9:02 AM, junior4949 said:

Honestly, I don't think TO is even the greatest coach at UNL.  I'd put Bob Devaney higher.  He's the one that resurrected the program.  Everyone always wants to ask the question about how many NCs TO would have won had he not retired when he did.  I've always wanted to know how many more the Bobfather would have won had he not retired when he did?  Devaney inherited a program that had just endured seven consecutive losing seasons.  TO inherited a program that had won two NCs in the three years before he took over.  Without having Devaney, we more than likely never have TO.  

On 12/11/2019 at 12:16 PM, BIG ERN said:

Don't forget that TO took over in 69' as OC and the offense slowly turned into a juggernaut lifitng us to 2 NC 

I realize I'd just started scrutinizing college football in 1970 when I was 10...But I doubt Devaney ever sniffs an MNC without Osborne on staff..Who in turn Gained tremendous loyalty from his own assistants..Had an amazing memory for specifics and minute details.

I think it is an honor to be in the top ten.  Coach Osborne accomplished a lot at Nebraska, no question.  Coach Saben has accomplished more and in a much tougher conference and on the National level.  I am not a Saben fan, but you have to give credit where credit is due.  Saben it the GOAT hands down and isn't finished yet.

• Plus1 1

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:40 AM, knapplc said:

Honestly, I think Osborne is too high on this list. Top ten for sure, but top five?  Eh. 

He gets credit for longevity and consistent winning, and for going out a champion three of his last four years. But it took him a long time to get over the "can't win the big game" hurdle, and during his career here at Nebraska, aside for the last four years, people in this state were upset with him.

Absolutely incredible X's and O's guy, the best team in CFB was a TO-coached one. That said, it did take WAY too long to recognize that he needed top-notch athletes on both sides of the ball to beat the top teams.  Switching to a 4-3 certainly helped but the big difference-maker was that his 90's teams just had more talent than his 70's and 80's.

On 12/13/2019 at 9:48 PM, skersfan said:

I think it is an honor to be in the top ten.  Coach Osborne accomplished a lot at Nebraska, no question.  Coach Saben has accomplished more and in a much tougher conference and on the National level.  I am not a Saben fan, but you have to give credit where credit is due.  Saben it the GOAT hands down and isn't finished yet.

Nope. 

Never understood this take, never will.  

TO was top 5 best offensive minds in football.  Ever.  OC or HC while winning 4 NC and 2 more NC came down to the last play. Calling the plays.  Offensively, Saban treats OC like rented mules.

Integrity and Scruples? Hands down TO.  Sabans treatment of Miami situation, recruits and 2nd team QBs.  Not great.

I think TO also has him beat on all time winning percentage.  

TO was adriving force behind the pioneering of the best weight program in football at a time when weight lifting was frowned upon.  Vision.

Could Saban do it in Lincoln?  (He wouldn't even try.)

Could TO do it in Bama?  Oh Yeah!!!

Saban many top 5 recruiting classes, TO probably none or 1 and YET:

Lombardi winners under TO: 4

Lombardi winners under Sab: 1

12 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Nope. 

Never understood this take, never will.  

TO was top 5 best offensive minds in football.  Ever.  OC or HC while winning 4 NC and 2 more NC came down to the last play. Calling the plays.  Offensively, Saban treats OC like rented mules.

Integrity and Scruples? Hands down TO.  Sabans treatment of Miami situation, recruits and 2nd team QBs.  Not great.

I think TO also has him beat on all time winning percentage.  

TO was adriving force behind the pioneering of the best weight program in football at a time when weight lifting was frowned upon.  Vision.

Could Saban do it in Lincoln?  (He wouldn't even try.)

Could TO do it in Bama?  Oh Yeah!!!

Saban many top 5 recruiting classes, TO probably none or 1 and YET:

Lombardi winners under TO: 4

Lombardi winners under Sab: 1

This is a very strange patchwork collection of odd arguments imo.

Saban has 6 National Championships as a head coach compared to TO's 3. TO being a smart offensive coach doesn't make him better o or outweigh Saban having double the amount of nattys that Tom does. 

Saban doesn't treat his OCs like rented mules either. People poach Saban's coaching staff all the time and since he's the GOAT he figures out a way to get new coaches and still be the best. Could Osborne have gone 60-3 in the 90's if he was having to replace his coordinators every year? 

Saban's top recruiting classes are another reason he's the GOAT coach. He made those recruiting classes; he's an amazing recruiter. 

• Plus1 2